M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

11-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen
Stealth,

Assuming you hand wash your own car, do you use a deionized water (e.g. CR Spotless) system to minimize water spots?
I don't usually wash my own car because I don't have facilities at home (I live in a high rise waterfront property). I have a mobile detailer who washes the car. He tends to blow dry the car and use microfiber for remaining drops.

However if I washed it more often myself I think I would get CR spotless. I've heard great things.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5 View Post
Very cool, would love to see your new install and the test results.
My install was done today. It was identical to my 550i install. I shot the car myself with my Kustom Prolite+ driving up and down the street and the setup is Jam-to-gun. I was not able to get a reading at any distance, even with off-axis shots.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I am doing full hood, fenders, bumper, mirror and sideskirts for $1300 by Atlanta's best installer using Suntek PPF C film.

The Suntek PPF C film is very similar in concept to the Xpel Ultimate, but it has superior clarity.
I haven't used a protective coating before, but since I've moved to Michigan my last car got chips in all the usual places, and even on the top of the trunk! I assume from all the small gravel that this state uses to repair roads. Will probably do that area also, for even more $$...... oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Very cool, would love to see your new install and the test results.
My install was done today. It was identical to my 550i install. I shot the car myself with my Kustom Prolite+ driving up and down the street and the setup is Jam-to-gun. I was not able to get a reading at any distance, even with off-axis shots.
Did you use the same system you had installed on your 550 or did you purchase an entirely new setup?

Can you post some pics of the install for those of us that don't own a laser gun?
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Do you think it would matter if you hid the front LI quad HPs in the air intakes?

Behind the vent mesh grills would make any difference as the holes are large?

Do you think the xpel ultimate will absorb road chemicals and discolor? In the NW they spray chem on roads instead of salt and I plan to drive year round. Worried that the scratch healing softness may cause issues that 3m wont. Even though 3m wont heal. Thoughts?
Thx

Last edited by LAKEOM5; 11-21-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #28
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you think it would matter if you hid the front LI quad HPs in the air intakes?

Do you think the xpel ultimate will absorb road chemicals and discolor? In the NW they spray chem on roads instead of salt and I plan to drive year round. Worried that the scratch healing softness may cause issues that 3m wont. Even though 3m wont heal. Thoughts?
Thx
Since you got HPs you should install them like I did. Don't put them behind the grille because it will affect performance. Also recessing them makes your car vulnerable to off axis shots and overpass shots. I will PM you a pic of my placement on the M5. It's hard to notice.

You could put Opti Guard over 3M. However I am extremely impressed with the clarity of the Suntek PPF C. It looks optical grade - I.e. you can't see the film at all. To me this is the best film on the market right now. And it's self healing. They also have a non healing version which you can OptiGuard.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Quote:

Thx
Since you got HPs you should install them like I did. Don't put them behind the grille because it will affect performance. Also recessing them makes your car vulnerable to off axis shots and overpass shots. I will PM you a pic of my placement on the M5. It's hard to notice.

You could put Opti Guard over 3M. However I am extremely impressed with the clarity of the Suntek PPF C. It looks optical grade - I.e. you can't see the film at all. To me this is the best film on the market right now. And it's self healing. They also have a non healing version which you can OptiGuard.
Stealth!! Please post pics so I can see how yours is setup in the front compared to mine and the pics i sent you

I am really eager to know (and test with you) if jeff mounted everything correctly and also if we need to adjust... And what your installer thought of how jeff and I did it

Thanks brother
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
Stealth!! Please post pics so I can see how yours is setup in the front compared to mine and the pics i sent you

I am really eager to know (and test with you) if jeff mounted everything correctly and also if we need to adjust... And what your installer thought of how jeff and I did it

Thanks brother
I did HP sensors, so mine are mounted lower. I tested it on a straight road, and also a road with curves and undulation and had no issues.

However for BMW sensors you have the right mounting. I showed your pics to the guy who has installed and tested a lot of these, and he said if they are level and straight, then your mounting is perfect. He isn't concerned about the slight recess.

I will be back Saturday afternoon. If you want we can test Sunday am, before I take the GF for brunch.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post

Thanks brother
I did HP sensors, so mine are mounted lower. I tested it on a straight road, and also a road with curves and undulation and had no issues.

However for BMW sensors you have the right mounting. I showed your pics to the guy who has installed and tested a lot of these, and he said if they are level and straight, then your mounting is perfect. He isn't concerned about the slight recess.

I will be back Saturday afternoon. If you want we can test Sunday am, before I take the GF for brunch.
That's fantastic with the info from your installer and great news that yours are working perfectly. The LI system is so quiet compared to the bel that I forget if its even on and have learned to tune out the startup chime..

I can do Sunday, let me see if Jeff is avail, I know he wanted to be involved. Where should we meet?

Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #32
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:

Please shoot me the front and rear install on your new M5. Getting ready to pull the trigger. Thanks

Gottta revisit the Suntek as well. I think Xpel or Suntek is going to be the choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please shoot me the front and rear install on your new M5. Getting ready to pull the trigger. Thanks

Gottta revisit the Suntek as well. I think Xpel or Suntek is going to be the choice.
What I can tell you is that the three top installers in Atlanta, as well as Ferrari of Atlanta, all switched from Xpel Ultimate to Suntek PPF C in the last 6 months.

I'll shoot you the pics tomorrow. need sunlight to take a picture.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

I agree, super auto shield in south Florida also now carries Suntek and always had xpel and they said that the clarity of suntek is superior and they have been selling alot more suntek lately and it's the same price for either with them.

I will be doing suntek next week
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #35
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Those that got front bumper clear bra'd and got IND painted reflectors, do you clear bra the reflector as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #36
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Those that got front bumper clear bra'd and got IND painted reflectors, do you clear bra the reflector as well?
Yes but not necessary. It has to be cut out.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes but not necessary. It has to be cut out.
For some reason that just popped into my head as I was researching my clear bra installer. For some reason I cant find a Suntek installer here, only XPel and Venture Shield - leaning towards Xpel.
      03-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #38
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For some reason that just popped into my head as I was researching my clear bra installer. For some reason I cant find a Suntek installer here, only XPel and Venture Shield - leaning towards Xpel.
I would def go for Xpel over Ventureshield.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #39
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I would def go for Xpel over Ventureshield.
Yup I read through some of the old posts - many of which you contributed on and read about the self healing, sounds really cool. I am def leaning XPel. Nowadays, I dont need to worry about yellowing as much or paint discoloration right? I have white, thats y Im concerned.
      03-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #40
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup I read through some of the old posts - many of which you contributed on and read about the self healing, sounds really cool. I am def leaning XPel. Nowadays, I dont need to worry about yellowing as much or paint discoloration right? I have white, thats y Im concerned.
You shouldn't worry about yellowing unless you treat your film with products containing Naptha or Kerosene. So be careful what you wash and wax with.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Another coverage question - made my appointment for for clear bra with Xpel Ultimate, I'll be covering the front bumper, rockers and fenders. Should I also get the headlights covered? Will that be noticeable or not at all?
      04-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Another coverage question - made my appointment for for clear bra with Xpel Ultimate, I'll be covering the front bumper, rockers and fenders. Should I also get the headlights covered? Will that be noticeable or not at all?
Definitely get the lights covered with the Xpel Ultimate at the same time. Mine are covered and you can't even tell its there. Do NOT use the pre-cut clear bra that is sold specifically for headlights. It's much thicker and stands out like a sore thumb. I have used regular 8 mil clear bra products on my lights for years with great success.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Definitely get the lights covered with the Xpel Ultimate at the same time. Mine are covered and you can't even tell its there. Do NOT use the pre-cut clear bra that is sold specifically for headlights. It's much thicker and stands out like a sore thumb. I have used regular 8 mil clear bra products on my lights for years with great success.
Bish
Ok - what about front bumper bra, is that the same thinner product you speak of?
      04-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #44
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok - what about front bumper bra, is that the same thinner product you speak of?
No that should be the regular XPEL Ultimate clear bra.
Appreciate 0