M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Clear Bra Install Advice

I just got back my 2013 M5 from a Paint Protection Install and initially was happy with the result until 2 friends pointed out a seam (quite obvious) running across the nose dividing the 2 front grills. I asked the installer regarding this and was told that the seam was intentional and unavoidable so as not to put undue stretch to the film from the sides. I would like to solicit anybody's comment how best to deal with this and his/her advice to best conceal this seam making it less obvious especially from those who have had clear bra installed on their M5's front bumper. I have included a closeup and a wide shot of the seam which seem to be the first thing that somebody who looks at the front of the car immediately notices.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I just got back my 2013 M5 from a Paint Protection Install and initially was happy with the result until 2 friends pointed out a seam (quite obvious) running across the nose dividing the 2 front grills. I asked the installer regarding this and was told that the seam was intentional and unavoidable so as not to put undue stretch to the film from the sides. I would like to solicit anybody's comment how best to deal with this and his/her advice to best conceal this seam making it less obvious especially from those who have had clear bra installed on their M5's front bumper. I have included a closeup and a wide shot of the seam which seem to be the first thing that somebody who looks at the front of the car immediately notices.
Don't have a "stretch"/cut in this area.
My clear bra was put using a custom cut (on the car) kit
Your installer likely used a pre-cut kit which may well have a cut in the front

Higher res pictures can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmh-pic...7631711463454/

15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Mine is a computer cut kit and I don't have that seam.

My installer and I reviewed all the templates and picked the cleanest one. The cleanest one is the hardest to install but a good installer should be able to do it flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys for the info. Now I am quite disappointed as the installer I got was highly recommended in this forum and their shop prices was probably the most expensive. I spent more than $3000.00+ for the paint protection film install and that's not for the entire coverage of the car only the front/rear bumpers, full hood & fender, sills, rear arches. I was charged $585.00 for that front bumper alone (that has the seam).

So if the installer I got does not correct this, can anybody suggest an installer in the NYC metro area that they have had good experienced with their 2013 M5 PPF install? This bumper seam is giving me such an upset stomach!

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 01-21-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

By the way, could you guys also suggest the type of paint protection film. My installer seem to believe in using different brands for different parts of the car. Anybody experienced this with their installer?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By the way, could you guys also suggest the type of paint protection film. My installer seem to believe in using different brands for different parts of the car. Anybody experienced this with their installer?
I have used Xpel Ultimate and I'm very happy with the finish and installation
If you look at their computer pre-cut kits none of them have the cut on the front
nose like yours. As mine was cut from bulk material it is wrapped inside the kidney grills
and has no visible seams anywhere (even on the lower very curvy and tight corners)

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...ake=4&model=70

http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

Stealth swears by another manufacturer for his film
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
I have used Xpel Ultimate and I'm very happy with the finish and installation

Stealth swears by another manufacturer for his film
My installer used both Xpel Ultimate and 3M Scotchgard depending on the car part. For this particular front bumper, their shop used 3M Scotchgard and per what I was told, it was a custom install not from pre-cut patterns. What i do not understand is how they can tell me that this was a necessary seam when other installer are able to do it without the seam. Also the seam is the first thing that anybody sees even if one does not look for any imperfection in the install. I am not trying to be too anal but I am just too irritated. What do you guys think and what would you do in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

2 different films makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain why one might want to do this? XPEL Ultimate can both be done via patterns without seam (which they have for M5) and with overwrap. On my 3, which isn't that much narrower, my whole bumper is a single piece with over overwrap.

You have every right to be pissed given what you paid. I had basically the same area done on my car with XPEL ultimate, and it was a grand -- i understand its not as cool or as big a car, but I think at the price you paid you should have gotten much better quality.

I would tell my installer to replace the whole bumper with XPEL ultimate, for free. I am sure there are plenty of forums, etc that your installer would not want that pic, your story ( to include what he charged you), and his name linked together.
      01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan
Thank you guys for the info. Now I am quite disappointed as the installer I got was highly recommended in this forum and their shop prices was probably the most expensive. I spent more than $3000.00+ for the paint protection film install and that's not for the entire coverage of the car only the front/rear bumpers, full hood & fender, sills, rear arches. I was charged $585.00 for that front bumper alone (that has the seam).

So if the installer I got does not correct this, can anybody suggest an installer in the NYC metro area that they have had good experienced with their 2013 M5 PPF install? This bumper seam is giving me such an upset stomach!
You got worked. I got same coverage as you plus full rocket kit including lower door piece, luggage sill, door cups and A pillars for $1400. And it is flawless with a self healing film.

I used Suntek PPF-C which was computer cut with XPEL software.

The guy showed me several templates in the XPEL software so I could pick the cleanest template for my preferences. No high profile seams.

Also the software allows you to select correct size and oversized edged for wrapping the edges. I did the latter.

Was a fantastic experience - I loved that the installer walked me through the templates and the edge wrapping options.

Also the Suntek PPFC is awesome. Superb clarity. I have had scratches from flying rocks that healed by itself.

For the price you paid, your dealer should re do it for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

This may seem like a stupid question, but if you put some wax over the seem will it hide?

Regardless, I agree that it doesn't appear that you got what you thought you were paying for (in terms of quality and experience.)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
jmh
United_States
Rep

Like the others have said, for the price you paid you should expect a flawless job.
3K is pretty steep to start with and you certainly already paid a premium over what normally would be expected (1600-2000$ would be a usual ballpark)
I'd think you should go back to the installer and ask them why they used different films and have visible seams. Maybe even show them pictures from other cars which have Xpel/Suntec film on them and show no visible seams.
Hopefully they'll agree and redo their work with one kind of film and without seams.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
This may seem like a stupid question, but if you put some wax over the seem will it hide?

Regardless, I agree that it doesn't appear that you got what you thought you were paying for (in terms of quality and experience.)
No. In fact it may make it worse because the wax gets stuck in the seam and then you have a white line.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just spoke to my installer and ask if he could redo the bumper install using the Xpel bumper kit. He is telling me that by using any of the Xpel bumper kits as shown in the Xpel site although may not have the seam on the bridge (between the two grills) like those shown on my current install, will result in even bigger seams at the bottom as those computer cut kits come in several pieces. Can anybody confirm this with their Xpel bumper kit install? He says that using those kits is just plain "garbage".
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Like the others have said, I think you've been duped. My installer used the XPEL kit below and it looks flawless. You can barely see the seams in the scoops. I think your installer is just trying to get out of redoing your wrap. There's also no reason why he should have used two different films. I would definitely make him redo the front bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After my talk with my installer, he agreed to redo the front bumper paint protection install. I asked if he could use the Xpel bumper kit but was quite adamant in rejecting the idea as he insisted that he has tried that install and he saw the result which according to him were not good. He said he will just do the shop's usual custom install using the wide rolls of the film but not make the seam in bridge between the two front grills. This is slated for next week. Since I have already invested time and money with this installer, I might as well give him and his shop a chance to redeem themselves. In case I am still not happy with the result, I will look for another installer who uses the Xpel bumper kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After my talk with my installer, he agreed to redo the front bumper paint protection install. I asked if he could use the Xpel bumper kit but was quite adamant in rejecting the idea as he insisted that he has tried that install and he saw the result which according to him were not good. He said he will just do the shop's usual custom install using the wide rolls of the film but not make the seam in bridge between the two front grills. This is slated for next week. Since I have already invested time and money with this installer, I might as well give him and his shop a chance to redeem themselves. In case I am still not happy with the result, I will look for another installer who uses the Xpel bumper kit.
At least they're willing to redo it . Using bulk is probably the best option (or using a custom laser cut) to get best coverage.
I can take a few detail pictures of mine when I get back on the weekend and send them to you as a reference.

There are a few pics from the install in another thread at
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...46&postcount=5

Last edited by jmh; 01-23-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Stealth - are you willing to share the contact info and details of your vendor? I'm in southeast also and will give him a call. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You got worked. I got same coverage as you plus full rocket kit including lower door piece, luggage sill, door cups and A pillars for $1400. And it is flawless with a self healing film.

I used Suntek PPF-C which was computer cut with XPEL software.

The guy showed me several templates in the XPEL software so I could pick the cleanest template for my preferences. No high profile seams.

Also the software allows you to select correct size and oversized edged for wrapping the edges. I did the latter.

Was a fantastic experience - I loved that the installer walked me through the templates and the edge wrapping options.

Also the Suntek PPFC is awesome. Superb clarity. I have had scratches from flying rocks that healed by itself.

For the price you paid, your dealer should re do it for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan
Give him a chance to make it right. If he can't then demand a $585 refund and get it done elsewhere.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm0515 View Post
Stealth - are you willing to share the contact info and details of your vendor? I'm in southeast also and will give him a call. thanks
Derek at Atlanta Protective Films
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayblack View Post
Like the others have said, I think you've been duped. My installer used the XPEL kit below and it looks flawless. You can barely see the seams in the scoops. I think your installer is just trying to get out of redoing your wrap. There's also no reason why he should have used two different films. I would definitely make him redo the front bumper.
Just a question, the Xpel bumper kit that you are showing is for an M5 without the side view camera, is that correct. In case I opt for the Xpel bumper kit, I will have to get the kit with side view camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Just a question, the Xpel bumper kit that you are showing is for an M5 without the side view camera, is that correct. In case I opt for the Xpel bumper kit, I will have to get the kit with side view camera.
A good detailer can cut the hole for you after the kit is on... you have the option to do the same with the PDC sensors as well
      01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Quote:
Should have clarified, my installer has a machine that cut the template. He didn't purchase the pre cut kit. Yes, there were holes for the side view cameras.
Appreciate 0