M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

04-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

California duster safe?

anyone have opinions or issues with using this? I have optiguard so I would think it'd be pretty hard to scratch just with light dusting.

thanks.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

I tried using one years ago and wasn't happy with the performance. Didn't scratch anything, but unless it was just the lightest layer of dust the cleaning wasn't too good. Living near the ocean there was usually slight moisture in the air and made the dust more difficult to remove for a wax coated brush.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I don't think so. It won't lift the dirt so it can scratch your paint. You are better off with optimum no rinse, or optimum quick detailer and a fluffy microfiber.

I once used it on a black Lexus with disastrous results.

Also I think the California duster contains a kerosene based coating which can yellow a clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I just use the "el cheapo" regular duster that one can buy at walmart. This is the same duster that I saw being used by the cleaning staff assigned to the different cars at the Javits Convention Center at every NY Auto show. The strands are made of microfiber and seems to lift dust and small particles, I guess due to the microfiber having some charge (negative or positive) that is opposite the charge of the dust/other particles.
      04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

I've used it on my cars over the years without any negative effects. But I would only use it if the care was pretty clean. Just MINOR dust.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I use it on my car in between washes once in a while. But I also take my car to the carwash, alot of guys on the forum would never do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I just use the "el cheapo" regular duster that one can buy at walmart. This is the same duster that I saw being used by the cleaning staff assigned to the different cars at the Javits Convention Center at every NY Auto show. The strands are made of microfiber and seems to lift dust and small particles, I guess due to the microfiber having some charge (negative or positive) that is opposite the charge of the dust/other particles.
This is not a good reference though. Every auto show car I have seen has absolutely appalling paint condition.

I have a strong eye for this sort of thing, and I also regularly look at my car under a UV light. If you can see scratches like I can, you wouldn't touch this thing with a barge pole. On the other hand if you think autoshow cars, dealer showroom cars, and such look great, then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Depends on color and habits. I'm a meticulous Psycho when it comes to my cars. I have been using the CA duster for years. I have two. A dirtyish one, and a clean one. The dirty one is for around the body panels closest to the wheels, and on the back of the car bythe truck because the dust collects there due to wind vortesies from drag. That gets more dust, so I use it there gently. I use the cleaner one for all ther panels. Now, very important...you need to dust every 30 to 50 miles. Otherwise it will collect too much and you will scratch the car. Just wash it. My routine only applies to normal conditions. If its winter time don't use it. If you drive down a dusty or dirty road, wash the car. The CA duster is only helpful if the car is slightly dusty.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Skip it...scratches the paint no question. Another vote for Optimum No Rinse in detail dilution, works fantastic.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep

so i did some additional research with online auto detailing forums. seems like there is about a 50/50 split of opinions. bottom line is yes it can scratch the car if pressure is not modulated correctly. however, i would argue that any procedure to clean -ONR, qd, etc.- that involves touching the car can scratch it if not done properly. in the end, i don't have time or interest to take 30-45 min to spray it down or use ONR everytime it gets dusty, which is every couple hours. I also don't want to qd it every couple hours either. but i do love the look of dust-free singapore grey. so i will likely get one of these dusters and lightly touch it up from time to time.

thanks for all the input.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is not a good reference though. Every auto show car I have seen has absolutely appalling paint condition.

I have a strong eye for this sort of thing, and I also regularly look at my car under a UV light. If you can see scratches like I can, you wouldn't touch this thing with a barge pole. On the other hand if you think autoshow cars, dealer showroom cars, and such look great, then go for it.
You must have been going to atrocious car shows. I think you are thinking of rubbing the duster on the paint which could cause the scratching. Those cleaners you have seen probably have no sense at all who just sweep aside the dust from the car's surface.

I have seen how this Javit's "clever" cleaning guy do it and also asked him his method of dusting/lifting small particles off the cars' surface -- he does not rub the duster on the car's paint but just hover it to pick up the dust/other small particles. He rubs the duster with another cloth or its container. If I remember right, in Physics we did a similar experiment -- using a glass rod which is usually negative charged rubbed with cloth or with the hand, some electrons are removed from the glass deeming the glass with some positive charge (less electrons). Then small pieces of paper or dust for that matter have a negative charge are lifted up and adhere to the glass rod when hovered over those small particles. I think this is the same principle the car guy cleaner was doing to the cars at the Javit's convention center. So with this technique, you do not need any fancy paraffin wax treated cotton duster, just your ordinary duster would do -- it's the technique, not the duster itself.

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 04-10-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
Javit's "clever" cleaning guy
I was at the Javit's Convention Center for the early show on Auto show opening day and second day too. I saw those 3 cleaning guys dusting the cars. At first I thought they were playing some game as their dusters hardly touched the car's paint. Anyway, I will try that way of dusting.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

I have had zero issues with the California Duster. However, I never dust a dirty car which has too must dirt not dust. I take my car out for a spin, and when I'm done driving I dust it and no issues what so ever. You should never apply force just a slight motion, and perfection. By the way I wax my car monthly, and my 2006 650ci still looks new. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Just try one of these "dog tails" on a swirl free dark paint job. They will scratch your car.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep

well after about a month's use, i do not yet have any scratches. between washes the car looks great, which is about every 2 weeks. note i do have optiguard so that may be providing some scratch protection.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
FredClem
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Space Gray

Garage List
Zaino ( http://www.zainostore.com/ ) I have been using it for years!
Dust just blows off while driving! Expensive (who cares?) but the best!!!
Appreciate 0