M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

12-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Air Force Master Blaster

Air Force Master Blaster
Car & Bike Dryer
Model #MB-3CD

I ordered one off amazon and just tried it out today. It has a total of 8HP.. two 4HP switches.

If you wash and detail your own car, this is a must have. I didn't even need to use a waffle microfiber to dry the car. I just used the master blaster and then quick detailed the entire car with Swissvax opaque.

It also helps immensely with getting water out of the cracks - front grilles, mirrors, reflectors, cameras, and all those areas that runs water down the car when you drive it after a wash.

It also came in handy with the interior door sills, water trap area, and even the interior trim.

Anyone with piano black trim knows it scratches very easily. I used it instead of a cloth to remove the dust.

I don't think I would wash my car again without this. The whole point is less contact with the car equals less scratches and swirls.
Attached Images

12-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

i find Nano-lex much better than Swissvax, and most of retailers have "Complete Matte Kit" - http://www.monzacarcare.com/nanolex-...te-care-kit/0/

and their wheel kit is awesome as well!

check your retailers here:
http://www.nanolex.de/en/order
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Dude, your car looks awesome. I love the black trim side markers. Just got mine in the mail and can't wait to put them on.
Oh yeah, and the air blaster looks cool too.
      12-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Thanks for sharing! I will add it to the list.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I second the notion that the Air Force master blaster is a must have in your detail arsenal. I love mine!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

I'll also 2nd that recommendation. I've had the Metro Vac Air Force Blaster (4HP model) for over a year now (recommended by a pro detailer); even if you pat dry with towel, it removes a fair amount of water from the areas you mention.

Have never intentionally used it in the interior (only unintentionally when drying the door shuts and even the 4HP can almost blow anything not fixed down out of the car). We have piano black in one of our other cars - looks great when new, but I'm too OCD to ever consider buying it again (I use horse hair brush & vac and the trim has lots of fine scratches).

The other essential bit of kit for serious home detailers is a hot water high-pressure washer. Simply removes more dirt than non-heated prior to the contact wash stage.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Use with ear muffs
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
i find Nano-lex much better than Swissvax, and most of retailers have "Complete Matte Kit" - http://www.monzacarcare.com/nanolex-...te-care-kit/0/

and their wheel kit is awesome as well!

check your retailers here:
http://www.nanolex.de/en/order
I love the Nanolex Matte Professional Sealant and would highly recommend it. Also the shampoo is good. I like to stay in the same brand for Shampoo/PC/QD/Sealant. However, when that's not possible I try to stick with matching brand Sealant and Shampoo.

I had a bad experience with the Nanolex Matte Pre Cleaner and Matte Quick Detailer. The PC is literally pure IPA. The QD also just sucks. The Nanolex PC (IPA) completely ruined my matte paintwork. I left a damp microfiber sit on the paint for seconds and it created shiny spot. I tested it to verify if was the product and whenever it's applied and not immediately wiped away, it created shiny spots. Luckily the Swissvax products were able to remove it.

Maybe I got a bad batch of Nanolex, not sure. But I refuse to use any Nanolex on my paintwork unless it's their Shampoo or Pro Sealant.
      12-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeisen
Dude, your car looks awesome. I love the black trim side markers. Just got mine in the mail and can't wait to put them on.
Oh yeah, and the air blaster looks cool too.
Thank you. It's actually not painted. The front grills, side gills, door handles, and stock exhaust are all BMW Individual Equipment which are black chrome.
      12-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Use with ear muffs
Solid advise - not even a joke.

When I got done I couldn't hear for shit. I ended up grabbing my pair of ears because it was that loud.
      12-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
I'll also 2nd that recommendation. I've had the Metro Vac Air Force Blaster (4HP model) for over a year now (recommended by a pro detailer); even if you pat dry with towel, it removes a fair amount of water from the areas you mention.

Have never intentionally used it in the interior (only unintentionally when drying the door shuts and even the 4HP can almost blow anything not fixed down out of the car). We have piano black in one of our other cars - looks great when new, but I'm too OCD to ever consider buying it again (I use horse hair brush & vac and the trim has lots of fine scratches).

The other essential bit of kit for serious home detailers is a hot water high-pressure washer. Simply removes more dirt than non-heated prior to the contact wash stage.
4HP is very strong and honestly enough. The 8HP is extremely powerful. I ended up using 8HP on the large sections and 4HP on the crevices and interior.

My piano black trim is scratched as well. There's literally nothing you can do.. no matter how careful you are - it will become scratched.
      12-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
4HP is very strong and honestly enough. The 8HP is extremely powerful. I ended up using 8HP on the large sections and 4HP on the crevices and interior.

My piano black trim is scratched as well. There's literally nothing you can do.. no matter how careful you are - it will become scratched.
I'd actually say you've bought the right model for drying a car the size of an F10. 4HP can't completely clear the roof and to a lesser extent the bonnet. As you say, switch down to 4HP everywhere else. Only reason I've got the 4HP is that I couldn't find a reseller in the UK that sold the 8HP.

Piano black - sounds as through it's a love-hate relationship for us all.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Solid advise - not even a joke.

When I got done I couldn't hear for shit. I ended up grabbing my pair of ears because it was that loud.
B1's probably flown aircraft that are less likely to burst your eardrums

OK, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean, especially if you hit the surface 'just right'
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

I agree!! I posted about a Harley bike dryer for the wheels and everyone slammed me about a year ago.

They just don't know what's up.

Make sure you have a rubber tip on the nozzle so you can knock it around
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1
I agree!! I posted about a Harley bike dryer for the wheels and everyone slammed me about a year ago.

They just don't know what's up.

Make sure you have a rubber tip on the nozzle so you can knock it around
lol they slammed you for the recommendation. don't get it. it just makes life easier.. probably saves me about 20 minutes or more.

the name "master blaster" sounds ridiculous, but the product is excellent. it does have the rubber nose and it's on wheels. very well thought out and high quality product.
      12-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

hey Avlnch... not to thread jack but can you post up close pics of your black chrome accents (especially the door handles) I think that those are the right way to go instead of the gloss black paint put want to see what it looks like. i couldn't find any pics in your other posts.
      12-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot
hey Avlnch... not to thread jack but can you post up close pics of your black chrome accents (especially the door handles) I think that those are the right way to go instead of the gloss black paint put want to see what it looks like. i couldn't find any pics in your other posts.
Yeah no problem. I'll take a photo tomorrow.
      12-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here are a few photos. Lighting is bad at night in my garage.

But the black chrome accents has the same characteristics as the standard chrome.. however since it's black chrome it appears similar to black paint in some lighting conditions and in other conditions it looks more similar to standard chrome.

If you want to see it in person, you can go to a BMW dealer and look at the 7 Series. Some of them have black chrome accents on the front bumper.
Attached Images

12-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
J3R0ME
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i GC, 2010 Porsche GT3

That swiss vax opaque works amazingly on the frozen colours. I had the same set for my Frozen Silver E92 M3 and loved it. It actually smells kinda good too.

I personally dont like the Frozen black on the E92 M3 but on the F10 M5....it just works
2012 Frozen Silver M3 (gone)
2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #20
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

....Piano black - sounds as through it's a love-hate relationship for us all.[/QUOTE]

About piano black: how bad is it to maintain? Getting closer to pulling the trigger on an M5 in the New Year and was quite keen on Piano black trim. Is that difficult to maintain? If so, then I can reconsider.......
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
Quote:
Here are a few photos. Lighting is bad at night in my garage.

But the black chrome accents has the same characteristics as the standard chrome.. however since it's black chrome it appears similar to black paint in some lighting conditions and in other conditions it looks more similar to standard chrome.

If you want to see it in person, you can go to a BMW dealer and look at the 7 Series. Some of them have black chrome accents on the front bumper.
The black chrome looks good.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #22
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

looks good.