M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

01-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Any concerns with frozen colors?

I will likely replace my 2013 with a 2015 later this year.

My last 3 M5's have been Silverstone, alpine white, alpine white.

I am thinking of doing something different and am considering a frozen color.... Probably silver.

I know I've heard that the frozen colors are a pain to maintain..... Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

No, if you like the look go for it, you won't regret it. They are much easier to keep looking clean. If you get chips it may be a pain but I got a clear bra over much of the car for that reason. If you run the car through machine wash a lot you may start to get some shiny spots but nothing too noticeable. Overall I think it is easier to maintain and looks better/cleaner 95% of the time.

Avlnch and stealth?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

The biggest pain is having to deal with all the attention it attracts. I would always come out of stores, restaurants, etc. and there would be fingerprints all over it. But it was surprisingly more durable than I was expecting. At least MB's version was.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I find frozen grey to be the easiest to maintain car I have owned. I am also OCD.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I find frozen grey to be the easiest to maintain car I have owned. I am also OCD.
Hi stealth, do you wash it yourself?
And keep it garaged?

Do you think frozen colours do better in certain countries due to climate ?

Asking as I saw a frozen blue m5, but it looked difficult to maintain with the weather in London

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Hi stealth, do you wash it yourself?
And keep it garaged?

Do you think frozen colours do better in certain countries due to climate ?

Asking as I saw a frozen blue m5, but it looked difficult to maintain with the weather in London
Yes I wash the car myself and keep it garaged.

I know a good mobile detailer who could do a good job washing the car, but my process is so easy I don't need any help.

I can wash the car in 15 minutes flat. I hose it down, then I foam gun with matte snow foam, then I rinse to remove most surface dirt. Then I foam gun again. Then I go over the car with a microfiber mitt carefully rinsing the mitt through the process. Then I hose rinse with de-mineralized water and then I drive it round the block to wind dry it. It is spotless within 15-20mins. No water marks. Spotless.

I have two hoses for this process which saves time because I don't need to switch between foam gun and rinse gun. And I have a de mineralizer hooked up to the rinse hose. I use drinking water hoses to avoid re mineralization.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Yes I wash the car myself and keep it garaged.

I know a good mobile detailer who could do a good job washing the car, but my process is so easy I don't need any help.

I can wash the car in 15 minutes flat. I hose it down, then I foam gun with matte snow foam, then I rinse to remove most surface dirt. Then I foam gun again. Then I go over the car with a microfiber mitt carefully rinsing the mitt through the process. Then I hose rinse with de-mineralized water and then I drive it round the block to wind dry it. It is spotless within 15-20mins. No water marks. Spotless.

I have two hoses for this process which saves time because I don't need to switch between foam gun and rinse gun. And I have a de mineralizer hooked up to the rinse hose. I use drinking water hoses to avoid re mineralization.
I had a very similar experience to Stealth's on my Frozen Black M3, except I used the Swissvax products and a "250mph leaf blower" Noisy but very effective!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I find the best wash is meticulous matte auto wash. It contains no waxes or gloss enhancers, generates a nice foam, is ph neutral and smells nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
No problems here either. I wash at home and it keeps clean a lot longer than normal clear coats, since it shows dust very little.
      01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Frozen colors are easy to maintain. I have owned frozen grey and frozen black.

My FG E60 M5 I had for 3 years. It was the first matte M in the US. There was no instruction on how to wash or detail it. I used only Swissvax products when it finally came to market. By the end of my lease the paint was in perfect shape.

FB is more difficult to maintain than FG, but not by much. I would choose FB, FW, or FG - if you are going to go the frozen paintwork route.

You should either detail your own car or have a good detailer do it for you. I personally do it myself.. I have all the tools to make it easy.

The first thing you need to do after delivery is drive home, prep and detail the paintwork. You can go the wax or sealant route - I have done both. I would recommend going the sealant route and using Nanolex Matte Professional Sealant and Nanolex Matte Shampoo to wash. However Swissvax everything else (paint cleaner, quick detailer, etc). Having a proper coat of sealant (lasts a long time) or wax (doesn't last nearly as long) makes maintenance 200% easier.

I wash my FB M5 about every 1.5-2 weeks. The sealant protects the paint, keeps the bugs off the front bumper.

If you don't garage your car and/or live where it snows/salt on the roads.. then you should either not get a frozen paint or have your car wrapped in a clear bra.

As far as day-to-day maintenance, I don't worry about bugs on the front bumper as it's sealed.. making the few that can stick to it not a problem. Bird crap is the only thing to really look out for.

Keep glossy agents away at all cost. Includes tire shine. Apply with towel or pad and wipe off (never spray it on or leave excess on to whisk onto the paintwork). Always make sure when you bring it to a dealership or anywhere, that they do not wash it. Once scratched always scratched.

So while frozen paintwork is easier to maintain than gloss paintwork, with frozen paint a mistake stays a mistake.. there is no rotary and compound option to fix anything. That is the trade off.
      01-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post

My FG E60 M5 I had for 3 years. It was the first matte M in the US. There was no instruction on how to wash or detail it. I used only Swissvax products when it finally came to market. By the end of my lease the paint was in perfect shape.

FB is more difficult to maintain than FG, but not by much. I would choose FB, FW, or FG - if you are going to go the frozen paintwork route.

You should either detail your own car or have a good detailer do it for you. I personally do it myself.. I have all the tools to make it easy.

The first thing you need to do after delivery is drive home, prep and detail the paintwork. You can go the wax or sealant route - I have done both. I would recommend going the sealant route and using Nanolex Matte Professional Sealant and Nanolex Matte Shampoo to wash. However Swissvax everything else (paint cleaner, quick detailer, etc). Having a proper coat of sealant (lasts a long time) or wax (doesn't last nearly as long) makes maintenance 200% easier.

I wash my FB M5 about every 1.5-2 weeks. The sealant protects the paint, keeps the bugs off the front bumper.

If you don't garage your car and/or live where it snows/salt on the roads.. then you should either not get a frozen paint or have your car wrapped in a clear bra.

As far as day-to-day maintenance, I don't worry about bugs on the front bumper as it's sealed.. making the few that can stick to it not a problem. Bird crap is the only thing to really look out for.

Keep glossy agents away at all cost. Includes tire shine. Apply with towel or pad and wipe off (never spray it on or leave excess on to whisk onto the paintwork). Always make sure when you bring it to a dealership or anywhere, that they do not wash it. Once scratched always scratched.

So while frozen paintwork is easier to maintain than gloss paintwork, with frozen paint a mistake stays a mistake.. there is no rotary and compound option to fix anything. That is the trade off.
What are your thoughts on Frozen Silver? Dont see many supporters for it.... I think it looks really good.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Quote:

What are your thoughts on Frozen Silver? Dont see many supporters for it.... I think it looks really good.
Didn't think about it when I wrote my post. I did consider it while spec'ing out my car.

I would recommend all the monochrome frozen paints:
Frozen Black
Frozen Grey
Frozen Silver
Frozen White

Frozen Silver is a sharp color.
      01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Frozen silver is badass in person... Contemplating it for a future car.
      01-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
I was also scared away because I've heard it was hard to maintain. I may get a frozen color on my next purchase.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #15
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
If u are contemplating frozen silver, take a look at frozen cashmere silver. It's a more awesome version of the regular frozen silver.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I think the frozen colors got a bad wrap but from what I have seen they hold up fantastic. We sold the very first frozen grey M3 in the US a few years ago and I have seen this car on various occasions and it still looks the same. He recently started daily driving it over the past year and has had no issues.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Hi guys, I am a 1M owner, and plan on getting an M5 in the next 2-3 years.
I really want to get the frozen blue paint, but I am most concerned about constantly getting layered in bugs on the front surfaces of the car. Namely, the front bumper, mirrors, front of the hood and the front of the A-pillers. What is this clear-bra you speak of? Is that the same as the 3M or equivalent protector? Is it plastic, and very noticeable? I've read elsewhere that it is not as big a deal to take care of as was originally thought. Just not buffing basically. My dealer told me to stay away from it, but I find that I can't resist the cool look of it. Bugs are a major problem for me. Am constantly rubbing them off of my 1M in the summer.
      01-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin
I really want to get the frozen blue paint, but I am most concerned about constantly getting layered in bugs on the front surfaces of the car. Namely, the front bumper, mirrors, front of the hood and the front of the A-pillers. What is this clear-bra you speak of? Is that the same as the 3M or equivalent protector? Is it plastic, and very noticeable? I've read elsewhere that it is not as big a deal to take care of as was originally thought. Just not buffing basically. My dealer told me to stay away from it, but I find that I can't resist the cool look of it. Bugs are a major problem for me. Am constantly rubbing them off of my 1M in the summer.
Read my post above. If you prep the car properly, apply a good sealant or wax, and let it cure, the bugs don't stick and the few that may from time to time aren't a issue.

I personally stay away from clear bras. I don't like having anything ontop of the paint.. it changes the feel and I just generally don't like them. I haven't put it on any of my cars and have had no issues. I also don't purchase my BMW's - I lease them.

Just because you have a frozen paintwork doesn't mean you need to clear bra. But if you like to put film on your cars, I have heard good things about suntek matte protection film.
      01-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
My only concern is that I didnt get a frozen color.
      01-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin View Post
Buy these... they dont scratch... they are amazing... you're welcome:

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html
      01-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Read my post above. If you prep the car properly, apply a good sealant or wax, and let it cure, the bugs don't stick and the few that may from time to time aren't a issue.

I personally stay away from clear bras. I don't like having anything ontop of the paint.. it changes the feel and I just generally don't like them. I haven't put it on any of my cars and have had no issues. I also don't purchase my BMW's - I lease them.

Just because you have a frozen paintwork doesn't mean you need to clear bra. But if you like to put film on your cars, I have heard good things about suntek matte protection film.
Ok, that answers my question about clear bras, and it's the answer I wanted to hear, as I'm not really a fan either. However, I would like to put some pieces around the wheel arches which are susceptible to pebble strikes.
Back to the bugs though. I'm still wondering about bug carcass sticking. I'm not talking about the odd bug here and there, I'm talking about this picture. This is what my car looks like, just about every summer time commute to work. At least once per week. That's one hour of driving, one way.
Attached Images

01-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin
Quote:

Ok, that answers my question about clear bras, and it's the answer I wanted to hear, as I'm not really a fan either. However, I would like to put some pieces around the wheel arches which are susceptible to pebble strikes.
Back to the bugs though. I'm still wondering about bug carcass sticking. I'm not talking about the odd bug here and there, I'm talking about this picture. This is what my car looks like, just about every summer time commute to work. At least once per week. That's one hour of driving, one way.
Do you have a coat of sealant on your 1 Series M?

They make this sealant that's like glass. You need to use gloves to apply. I use it on my cars (not my frozen M).

Just after a wash you should be able to toss a microfiber on the hood and have it slide all the way. Or just slide the back of your hand it should easily slide. The paint should feel slippery and water should bead up very well.