M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

07-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Rumors of M5s being held in US Port until 8/15?

Heard a rumor on the world wide interweb that the incoming M5s and M6s are going to be held in US ports until 8/15 due to some regulation. Sounds kind of odd, especially since I sat in a sold M6 at the dealer when placing the F10 order. Why would this regulation not have taken affect earlier when some M6s were coming into the country.

I'm not trying to stir up the rumormill, just wondering if anyone else has heard this.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 07-25-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 - Totaled :(

I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...07192012_2.xml

Auto Safety Agency Joins Effort to Combat Potential Safety Risks from Imported Goods

(Thursday, July 19, 2012)
Washington—U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has signed an agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to advance information-sharing among the federal agencies to improve targeting of imports for health and safety violations. NHTSA, the nation’s chief automotive safety agency, is the eighth federal partner to join CBP’s Import Safety Commercial Targeting and Analysis Center (CTAC), a multi-agency center for targeting commercial shipments that pose potential threats to health and safety.

“U.S. consumers rightfully expect the millions of vehicles operating on our roadways to meet federal safety standards—whether they are produced entirely on American soil or use parts or products manufactured elsewhere,” said NHTSA Administrator David Strickland. “By partnering with CBP and other agencies to identify illegal or non-compliant shipments, we can better ensure public safety while leveling the playing field for companies that follow the law.”

In keeping with its mission to reduce deaths, injuries and economic losses resulting from motor vehicle crashes, NHTSA establishes and enforces safety performance standards for both vehicles and vehicle equipment. In addition, the agency supports local highway safety programs through grants and other resources for state and local governments.

"By working together to determine which shipments are high-risk, the CTAC helps the government better protect consumers," said Allen Gina, Assistant Commissioner for CBP’s Office of International Trade. "At the same time, the CTAC helps eliminate unnecessary examinations and facilitates low-risk shipments, so everyone benefits."

The addition of NHTSA brings the total number of agencies that are part of the CTAC to eight. These agencies—each with their own statutory responsibilities for public safety—will work as a team to better target imports that should be examined for possible safety violations.

For additional information on the CTAC and import safety, please go to CBP.gov/Trade, and “click” the Priority Trade Issues left tab. ( Import Safety Commercial Targeting and Analysis Center )

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control, and protection of our Nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I heard the same thing happened with the 6 series grand coupe. They say at the dock for a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Isn't it likely that they're just held until the EPA certifies the mileage numbers for them?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
cmhsam
Major
Rep

I cant imagine its too extensive of a process to certify
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpurv99 View Post
I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...07192012_2.xml

Auto Safety Agency Joins Effort to Combat Potential Safety Risks from Imported Goods

(Thursday, July 19, 2012)
Washington—U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has signed an agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to advance information-sharing among the federal agencies to improve targeting of imports for health and safety violations. NHTSA, the nation’s chief automotive safety agency, is the eighth federal partner to join CBP’s Import Safety Commercial Targeting and Analysis Center (CTAC), a multi-agency center for targeting commercial shipments that pose potential threats to health and safety.

“U.S. consumers rightfully expect the millions of vehicles operating on our roadways to meet federal safety standards—whether they are produced entirely on American soil or use parts or products manufactured elsewhere,” said NHTSA Administrator David Strickland. “By partnering with CBP and other agencies to identify illegal or non-compliant shipments, we can better ensure public safety while leveling the playing field for companies that follow the law.”

In keeping with its mission to reduce deaths, injuries and economic losses resulting from motor vehicle crashes, NHTSA establishes and enforces safety performance standards for both vehicles and vehicle equipment. In addition, the agency supports local highway safety programs through grants and other resources for state and local governments.

"By working together to determine which shipments are high-risk, the CTAC helps the government better protect consumers," said Allen Gina, Assistant Commissioner for CBP’s Office of International Trade. "At the same time, the CTAC helps eliminate unnecessary examinations and facilitates low-risk shipments, so everyone benefits."

The addition of NHTSA brings the total number of agencies that are part of the CTAC to eight. These agencies—each with their own statutory responsibilities for public safety—will work as a team to better target imports that should be examined for possible safety violations.

For additional information on the CTAC and import safety, please go to CBP.gov/Trade, and “click” the Priority Trade Issues left tab. ( Import Safety Commercial Targeting and Analysis Center )

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control, and protection of our Nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.
Our government at work ensuring that BMW's are as safe as Dodge's. Ya right... good use of tax money.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
I cant imagine its too extensive of a process to certify
Plenty of cars over the years get delayed due to certification. Happens all the time. Check the PCD forum for the 2013 X5 and X6's; not even a new model, but they were delayed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
cmhsam
Major
Rep

So how long does it take, on average?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Is it just the M5 and M6 or is it all 2013 Bmw's?

This would totally suck since i was hoping to pick up my car next week.

Alan
      07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Is it just the M5 and M6 or is it all 2013 Bmw's?

This would totally suck since i was hoping to pick up my car next week.

Alan
If it was an ED car you could escalate this since you own it. In this case though you don't have ownership rights till after it is delivered at the showroom.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Bmill
E39, E60 and now F10
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Thriple Black

I have a bad feeling about this.

Worst is BMW reads these boards and could easily kill the rumor.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
You're right, but I posted this a while ago and got flamed..............
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I really think it is odd, due to the fact that Advantage BMW here in Houston had (and I believe already sold) a new M6 cab. I saw the car with my own eyes and don't understand why that car wasn't flagged.

I don't really know what to think.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
The EPA doesn't test every car. They usually certify the manufacturer's numbers and test a subset of models. Further according to the EPA website, the vehicle they test is usually a pre production prototype to avoid delays of vehicles to market.

The one thing that may mess up this smooth process is that in 2012 they tested the 550xi which had already been certified in 2011 using BMW numbers, and they found that BMW overstated the mpg by about 4mpg. So maybe they are now treating BMW with higher scrutiny.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Would they test actual owners cars?
Appreciate 0