Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #45
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
They are forgetting what it is that got them to where they are.
What is with their decisions as of late. Their company has perfect for so many years.

First they produce M-suvs, ok everyone got over that.

Then they announce 13 front-wheel-drive models by 2015.

Then the reports they are developing basically what is a mini-van.

Now automatic only the M5 and M6.

They are going to piss off the enthusiasts and die-hard bimmer customers that got them to where they are now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #46
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 330i 6MT TiAg

Yet another reason I sold my overly complicated E90 and bought an all original low mileage '99 E36 M3... And will never buy another bmw past the E46 era. BMW have become some of the biggest sell outs in the auto industry.

Last edited by Suckr4Straight6s; 02-15-2011 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #47
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 330i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
What is with their decisions as of late. Their company has perfect for so many years.

They are going to piss off the enthusiasts and die-hard bimmer customers that got them to where they are now.
Only you forgot to mention taking away limited slip diffs in all models with the exception of a few M cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #48
Action Jaxs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 & 2009 M5

It's the way of the future.....

Emissions and higher MPG's are becoming stricter especially in CA so it is the wave of the future; smaller engines and turbos.

I like the new 5 series design especially the 550XI with a 6 MT but I too prefer a NA engine over a turbo so that's why I decided to purchase an 2009 M5. At the time, I predicted that all new M engines are going to be turbos; ie: X5M, X6M & now the 1M (which I actually like).

I also have a 325XIT 6MT that is my daily driver even in the notorious CA traffic. I still enjoy the 6MT and slightly leaning towards the 1M but a Euro delivery M3 DCT coupe seems more likely. Again it's that purist desire for a NA engine like the days of the e39 M5's V8 (great HP and torque)

I'm sure the new M5 w/ or w/o an auto will be a spectacular car, like a 911 Porsche Turbo with 4 doors. Sorry I forgot that's a Panamera Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #49
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Even if the automatic shifts as fast as the dct I want to FEEL it. The dct is the perfect transmission in that shifts can be imperceivable or they can send the back tires spinning slamming into gear. This car is going to be so fast but at the same time so unenjoyable because you'll be doing incredibly illegal speeds in a few seconds without any drama. So sad.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #50
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Lame. The engineers must have gotten lazy. Ferrari and Lamborghini have automatic clutch/double clutch technology with crazy torque and HP numbers, why can't BMW do it..

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #51
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Dropping the V10 for a TT V8...

Once they dropped the most beautiful motor they ever built (S85) and then turned the M5 into a 4500 lbs gorilla, they simply lost me.

I would not be shocked if it is automatic. Nothing can really take me aback, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
Lame. The engineers must have gotten lazy. Ferrari and Lamborghini have automatic clutch/double clutch technology with crazy torque and HP numbers, why can't BMW do it..
Lamborghini has officially declared single-clutch automated as the way of the future. They have no intentions of going to dual-clutch right across the board.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #52
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

bingo!

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #53
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

HA! i knew something was fishy when the bmw execs were talking about phasing out dct. its because they are having problems with it.

if porsche and audi and i believe f-cars are using dct, why cant m div?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #54
czechchamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7guy View Post
I disagree. Save the manuals!
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #55
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
How cam BMW phase out such an effective device at making the driver think he has more power and control than he really has? Is BMW crazy?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #56
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi

Aww just a regular auto. Even a revised SMG would of been nice like something similar to the mct in mercs which can handle turbo power... too bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #57
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
If they proceed with this decision, I imagine they will lose a significant portion of their customers. All of the sudden, Porsche starts to look much more attractive.
yep. p cars have been looking pretty good for a while for me. im waiting for the new 991s to come out. i love the m3, but what they are doing is a travesty. I might be the only one here, but i WISH bad luck onto the m div. cause only then will the bean counters listen and let go of their vice grip they have on the m div engineer's balls. sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
It is not just BMW that is making the move towards Auto Trannies. Porsche is doing so with PDK, yet they are keeping certain segment for their hardcore "manual" only fans. MB has done so with their AMG for a long long time; and same with AUDI. Ferrari has been doing so since the introduction of the F1 transmission.
pdk is semi auto, not auto. big diff. why we going back to auto when we have cool things like dct that allow you to rev over 7k rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Porsche. One of the few companies in the 'affordable' range that still caters to the enthusiast.
lol, a c2s easily cost six figs. but its looking more and more like my only option since im not paying 200k+ for a f-car and turbos are omnipresent in m cars now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #58
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckr4Straight6s View Post
Only you forgot to mention taking away limited slip diffs in all models with the exception of a few M cars.
OMG! when it rains, it POURS! iono wtf is going on with bmw.

and btw, thats another feature that i have to pay for in a p-car 1k!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #59
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
So what are all you haters going to buy? Audi, Merc, Cad, all have or are going to have turbos/sc engines. Audi still has some sticks but I think Mercedes is all auto now.

And just because people on this forum want a NA engine and a stick that doesn't translate to all M buyers, just the purists which are a small percentage so car companies don't care if they piss you off, it's all about the $$$, this isn't the 70s/80s.
Panamera PDK will do nicely.

Intriguing that they might not offer a DCT version. I'm not one of those staunch MT transmission or nothing guys, but this is puzzling. Lack of DCT may swing the decision in the Porsche's favor now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #60
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

i like to see it in dct still some fun in shifting gears; although isnt a 6mt any more but still i love dct i like the shifts and the down shifts. I like to be able to stick a gear no more up down shit. Work on dct id say; i would potentially buy this thing but not in auto slap mode or 6mt >>>dct ftw
      02-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #61
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
bingo!
this is BMW going appealing to commercial market place; honestly that stinks but i guess works for them, maybe its time to move on the porsches =X
      02-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #62
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

Intriguing that they might not offer a DCT version. I'm not one of those staunch MT transmission or nothing guys, but this is puzzling. Lack of DCT may swing the decision in the Porsche's favor now.
COULDNT AGREE WITH U MORE =X
      02-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #63
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

iono. i think its the culmination of turbos + only auto + heavy weight - NA - high revving, and not soley due to the lack of dct or mt. all this is brewing into what seems like the perfect storm for m div.

buuuuut, i do think that m div will sell a lot of these cars due to:
1) brand loyalty
2) ppl who dont know anything about m cars
3) not enough enthusiasts leaving

and a 991 c2s is looking better and better each day.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #64
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
Scott said some time ago that the next gen M5 would be automatic only.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=321
Actually, no.

Scott mentions the only new M5's he's seen have had an upgraded DCT tranny.

This proves that the new M5 will more than likely have M-DCT so not to worry.........
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #65
milhouse
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: M4

A friend of mine met on of the test drivers when they had a customer event at a track. That person told him it was 6 test cars. 3 of them was MT.
I thing it is 6 months ago, but ther has been som MT m5. If they later has ruled it out I dont know.

So ther still is a chance... Dont give up BMW yet
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #66
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

I'm laughing at all these comments about how BMW will go down in flames and yada yada.

Look at what makes BMW money: 3ers and 5ers. I'm not going to look it up, but it's something like 80% of their sales. Probably > 95% of those are automatics.

"The enthusiasts got them where they are!"

Ya... no. They made cars people wanted to buy, not cars a couple guys on a car forum wanted. If you want an example of a company that made cars people didn't want to buy, you can just look at Detroit. They're doing swell...

BMW will make what they want, and they'll probably make it pretty damn well. You will always complain because you think the old stuff was better than it was. If you want an old-fashioned manual everything, go buy an Ariel Atom. Heck, it doesn't even come with ABS or power steering! Now THAT'S a manual car.

BMW sells luxury cars. I don't care what you think about M cars, they're big, fat luxury cars. They're doing what any sensible business would do, not make unnecessary things that won't make them money.
Appreciate 0