M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
blazarov
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5; F15 X5

Per-cylinder timing corrections?

Hi,
i decided to have a look at how my ignition timing goes during hard 100-200 pulls. IAT is around 35-40C in this run.
It seems the car is pulling (applying negative corrections) up to 4.5 degrees on some cylinders and there is also considerable cylinder to cylinder variance.

My car has Evolve Stage 2 tune and catless downpipes. Brand new injectors and coils, didnt replace the spark plugs as the mechanic told me they are good, asked them to gap them at 0.022" as suggested by Evolve. I plan to swap them next time the car visits repair shop anyways.

Anyone else with any observations? I am wondering is this "normal" and what are other people seeing. I will look at more logs under different conditions in order to try to find a pattern

The car does around 6.5 for 100-200 depending on conditions.

Link to full log if interested: https://datazap.me/u/blazarov/22may2...8&zoom=212-274
Attached Images

Last edited by blazarov; 05-29-2022 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: added link to log
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazarov View Post
Hi,
i decided to have a look at how my ignition timing goes during hard 100-200 pulls. IAT is around 35-40C in this run.
It seems the car is pulling (applying negative corrections) up to 4.5 degrees on some cylinders and there is also considerable cylinder to cylinder variance.

My car has Evolve Stage 2 tune and catless downpipes. Brand new injectors and coils, didnt replace the spark plugs as the mechanic told me they are good, asked them to gap them at 0.022" as suggested by Evolve. I plan to swap them next time the car visits repair shop anyways.

Anyone else with any observations? I am wondering is this "normal" and what are other people seeing. I will look at more logs under different conditions in order to try to find a pattern

The car does around 6.5 for 100-200 depending on conditions.

Link to full log if interested: https://datazap.me/u/blazarov/22may2...8&zoom=212-274
Did you reset adaptation after replacing these parts?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
blazarov
Enlisted Member
Rep

No,
The guys at the shop forgot to do it, however i already did around 2000km so imagine whatever needs to adapt is done.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:56 AM   #4
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazarov View Post
No,
The guys at the shop forgot to do it, however i already did around 2000km so imagine whatever needs to adapt is done.
Name:  3rd G.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  36.1 KB
Name:  4th G.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  18.0 KB

Notice your STFT1 vs STFT2 & LTFT1 vs LTFT2.

One is adding fuel and the other is removing fuel in addition to the timing DME2 is 2 degree higher & Wastegate as compensation for the air leak. try and reset fueling adaptation and then smoke test for slight air leak.

That is just my opinion I might be mistaken, small deviation isn't a big deal to give yourself that much of headache. Reset fuel adaption, relearn VANOS and Valvatronic via ISTA and you will be fine I guess. If that didn't help increase your fuel grading.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 07:19 AM   #5
blazarov
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,
actually the discrepancy between the two banks STFT and LTFT has been my main concern ever since i am datalogging.
My expectation (or shall i say hope) was for this to equalize after injector and coil change, but it didnt. I know it is very lame to not reset the adaptations, but this is what it is - "specialized //M shop"

I also suspected MAF, however i switched them and that didnt alter the STFT/LTFT discrepancy anyways, so for now i rule out the MAFs.

Checking for leaks on intake and exhaust is a good idea, i will try to see if someone local can do that.

Nice catch about WGDC discrepancy, i have no baseline to compare with, however my expectation would be that 2-5% discrepancy in the banks would be "normal" as this is quite complex physical system and each turbine probably has some specific wear.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #6
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do a fuel reset and let us see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 03:45 AM   #7
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

https://datazap.me/u/ajm55/23-april-...?log=0&data=22

This is a data log of a 4th gear pull on mine. Running a BPM tune but at 5,500 feet above sea level so turbos drop boost below target higher up in the rev range. I don't think there's an issue with yours. Add some octane booster or better quality fuel. stfts and WGDC are hardly ever going to be an exact match on the two banks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 06:51 AM   #8
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm55 View Post
https://datazap.me/u/ajm55/23-april-...?log=0&data=22

This is a data log of a 4th gear pull on mine. Running a BPM tune but at 5,500 feet above sea level so turbos drop boost below target higher up in the rev range. I don't think there's an issue with yours. Add some octane booster or better quality fuel. stfts and WGDC are hardly ever going to be an exact match on the two banks.
What is your opinion on BPM tune? since you run one? I changed my charge coolers to a larger one and I'm short 2 PSIs and I got them back using JB4 but the logging on JB4 isnt that great. Not looking for custom just a tune that will account for my large coolers.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #9
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post
What is your opinion on BPM tune? since you run one? I changed my charge coolers to a larger one and I'm short 2 PSIs and I got them back using JB4 but the logging on JB4 isnt that great. Not looking for custom just a tune that will account for my large coolers.

I'm happy with the BPM tune. AFRs and timing are in check. It is a custom tune that limits the torque beneath 5,000 rpm which is what I asked Mike to do. Boost doesn't keep up with target after 6,000 rpm but that's because of altitude and is not tune related. I don't know if there is a way to tune the car to hold boost longer at high altitude but unless you're at high altitude, this is not something that will trouble you. I also installed the CSF intercoolers after loading the tune and I'm seeing about 1 psi drop. I may ask Mike at BPM to fix this for me
Appreciate 1
M6Roar85.50