M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Celebrating 2years Clean and...

Fast AF.

a little over 2 years ago my beautiful and dear to me M6 Gran Coupe seized a rod bearing. It was right at the before of the covid lockdowns and I was taking my wife out for a birthday dinner with friends. we got within 2 miles of the restaurant, stopped at a red light and when it turned green I eased on the throttle and there was little to no joy. I got it to the side of the road and it came to a rest and it was just my luck that it ended up blocking an exit for a busy downtown parking garage, ugh. After getting it towed away to the dealership that has cared for the car since day one I got an uber and proceeded to dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday.

Over the next week my SA and team poked around the car and told me that they would need about 3500 dollars to perform a diagnostic on the engine. I declined and asked for an estimate on engine replacement and that came to a whopping 54k dollars!

Knocked back on my heels and reeling from the craziness I parked the car in my driveway and spent the next 3 and half months scouring the interwebs for folks that I could trust. I spent a lot of time on the phone, email, text and chat with a lot of the well known folks at the time and no one stood out better than the folks RKAutowerks. At the time it was difficult to find info on the forms or googles but I found a few. Further I got to know Raza and Mike very well albeit over the phone.

There was never a day of the week, weekend or hour of the day that they didn't take my call, reply to an email or respond to a text. So in June of 2020 I got online booked my car for a ride from Tampa to Dallas and wasn't being cheap as I wanted it to get there and as the day approached the company I booked with failed to get a truck. So with one day out I reached out to Mike to let him know and on the next day he had me a truck at a better price and it was covered, freakin amazing.

My M6 makes it to Dallas in about 4 days and the engine was swapped in less than 2 if I remember correctly. Mike drove the car for some break in miles and since both the shop and my household were on a time crunch my son and I booked it up to Dallas with a trailer and towed my car back home. Before getting up there they washed the car, detailed the engine and Mike was very gracious to share of his photography talents with me and took some stunning photos from around the Dallas area.

Once got home and parked it in the drive way we celebrated with a frost cold Lone Star beer. Raza, Mike and Teak @rkautowerks thank you. The warranty period is over and you are off the hook but never are you far from my thoughts. In these past two years I have had questions not even related to the swap and even after the business transaction was over you guys never stopped taking my calls, emails, chats and texts.

I have since been on countless road trips and never once have my family and I worried about getting there or getting home. Wishing yall much success!

To my fellow members. If you are looking for a stock rebuild, forged build or just some well built performance parts please reach out to the folks at RKAutowerks. They are good people and are truly a customer service centric organization to wakes up and goes to sleep everyday with this stuff on their minds and hearts.
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 3
M5_Raz514.00
x-tech728.00
Ickdeep5720.50
      06-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
More photos
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 4
M5_Raz514.00
SCD-1983575.50
crazyinp298.00
Ickdeep5720.50
      06-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Great! How many miles have you put on in these two years?

I think a huge part of replacing an engine like ours is to have the shop that built it also install it.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2022, 12:25 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Agreed on the install. Ultimately I chose to send mine to RK because he and his team had a lot of experience with with the process. I called around to my local repair and bmw indy shops but none had the level of experience RK's team had. Now that forged engine and stock rebuilds are become a little more common the experience level is rising.

Almost 20k miles. No track time on it but it does have a lot of spirited driving.
Appreciate 1
x-tech728.00