M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
mauricef
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black/Black

M5 to i8

An i8 just became available to me at my dealer. I took it for a good drive today. It was fun but getting in and out with those high sills could be a pain.

I am seriously considering it since I am a coupe guy at heart. Would any of you trade your M5 for an i8?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
An i8 just became available to me at my dealer. I took it for a good drive today. It was fun but getting in and out with those high sills could be a pain.

I am seriously considering it since I am a coupe guy at heart. Would any of you trade your M5 for an i8?
I would highly highly consider it. I've sat in the i8 before too and I know what you mean about the getting in and out of it. I think of it kind of like the tub in the McLaren 12C.

Where is it located? I thought all i8's were already sold out, unless it's a dealer i8 and now they are selling it.

I dunno man, I'd think very hard about it.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
mauricef
Rep

Another customer has backed out and I had purchased so many cars my dealer called me and we went out for a ride today. I was on list but had removed my name to wait to see how the car turned out. It will be a sleepless night.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Nice - any additional information to share on driving and styling impressions?

The only one at my local dealer is a fiberglass "model" and they are an M priority dealership so living vicariously through Chris Harris and other's impressions.

Curious - what are they asking for it and what other rides on your priority list could you drive for similar money?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

def makes a lot more of a statement on the road. I personally would love to own a i8 I think those cars are stellar! however M5 are pretty dang awesome as well. tough choice.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
mauricef
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmag View Post
Nice - any additional information to share on driving and styling impressions?

The only one at my local dealer is a fiberglass "model" and they are an M priority dealership so living vicariously through Chris Harris and other's impressions.

Curious - what are they asking for it and what other rides on your priority list could you drive for similar money?
Fortunately my dealer does not mark-up. They never have no matter what the model.

The car is surprisingly tight and stiff. The torque when both motors are running is very strong. It does not have the immediate highway passing punch the M5 provides. The visibility while driving is very good. That is something I was concerned about. More plastic in the interior than I was expecting but suppose this keeps the weight down.

Tons of looks and we had to move the car to continue our conversation since so many people wanted to get more info or take pictures. Don't get this car if you don't like talking to people.

The other car I have interest in is the new NSX but it is a long way off and there is little concrete information available.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef

Just not enough performance on track or in a straight line for 140k IMHO . It does look good though .
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Well, if you could only choose between the M5 and i8? I'd pick the i8 - as said above, it definitely makes a statement, and I find it intriguing on some level.

But for the money, there are so many other options open to you. Personally, I find the styling just "ok" - it's an attractive car, but it's not "lust over it all day" beautiful to me. And the philosophy of the car isn't compatible with my desires right now - the hybrid electric drive on much more powerful cars like a 918 or LaFerrari? Sure. But the i8, at only around 3,500 pounds and $140k+, should be a 3.5s 0 - 60, 500hp+ exotic in my mind... but it's not. It's styled like one, though. Instead, you still get a "quick" car, making 357hp combined, thin tires melting on the track, and an electric motor giving out after 3 laps in testing. So for me, it feels like "more show than go" in a science project package. I applaud BMW for an aggressive endeavor, but my impression is it's not a hard-core package that'll give you what the M5 can - or any number of competitors in the price range, including compelling options like a 911 S or lightly optioned Turbo in that general price range. I chose an R8 V10 - while lacking the back seats of a 2+2 like the i8 or 911, it provides power that matches the design, and it's usable on a track - traits I feel the i8 lacks. It's no wonder so many people are hoping BMW still releases a powerful petrol version of the car.

Like I said, if you had to choose solely between the M5 and i8, I'd probably opt for the i8 given its novelty and switching up your experience. But if you were generally in the market for a powerful sports car, and you were looking to spend $140k or $150k, I don't think I would pick the i8 over the other wonderful options out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I would highly highly consider it. I've sat in the i8 before too and I know what you mean about the getting in and out of it. I think of it kind of like the tub in the McLaren 12C.

Where is it located? I thought all i8's were already sold out, unless it's a dealer i8 and now they are selling it.

Now I'm completely shocked! or lost
You are the one that almost more than everybody concern about exhaust note and power! How do you want to deal with i8? ....
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
No chance that I would do that.

First, it's the first year of the i8, I'm guessing that BMW is still "learning" about the car. To make maters worse, it's BMWs first time into the hybrid arena. Double whammy right there. I wouldn't want a first year i8.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:

You are the one that almost more than everybody concern about exhaust note and power! How do you want to deal with i8? ....
It traps 110mph, understeers like a pig , and melts it's tires if you drive it hard . What more could you want
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
The i8's extreme styling, futuristic technology, and super rare novelty could more than make up for the extreme lack of an exhaust note and power. I'd imagine that you'd be like supercar status where ever you would go in the i8. It would probably be like driving an Aventador around town. I personally would love the attention at least for a while, then it would probably be too much. That's why I would highly consider it. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #13
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Just not enough performance on track or in a straight line for 140k IMHO . It does look good though .
+1

Am I the only one here that is not impressed with the i8 at all? Don't even like the styling, in fact really dislike it.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #14
Trakrzy
Waiting for the Point By
Canada
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
And here I was thinking the i8 was around 80k...140k jesus
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #15
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
+1

Am I the only one here that is not impressed with the i8 at all? Don't even like the styling, in fact really dislike it.
+1
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #16
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

Sat in one (i8) today in a BMW showroom in London (Mayfair). Super cool to finally see one in person. I think it's an outstanding design and I love the doors. Outrageous actually. But having said that, I would not trade my M5 for it. Yes, I did not drive it, but knowing me, it would be frustrating losing the battery power under extended hard driving. I imagine there is a hybrid in my not too distant future (given the unstoppable momentum in that direction), but the i8 did not push me over the line. Maybe if I knew it had 500-600 HP, it might. The M5's a keeper
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
The i8's extreme styling, futuristic technology, and super rare novelty could more than make up for the extreme lack of an exhaust note and power. I'd imagine that you'd be like supercar status where ever you would go in the i8. It would probably be like driving an Aventador around town. I personally would love the attention at least for a while, then it would probably be too much. That's why I would highly consider it. Lol!
I understand that the i8's 3 potter sounds really nice considering its cylinder count. Of course, there's some digital augmenting going around, but reviewers have generally been pretty positive abt the sound it makes. i9 would be really interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #18
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Well it all depends what you want. A performance 4 door sedan that you can throw at any corner, or a car that is not so power and not so performant but gives you a hell of a look.. Everyone will stare at you and run after you.
Perhaps you could buy an i8 and then flip it for a quick buck since there is no markup from your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Yeah from a power and performance standpoint, I would wait for the i9 if I was really intent on getting a BMW high performance hybrid sports car. The i9 will have a more powerful electric motor and probably a 6cyl turbo engine. I'm already speculating we could see power above the 500hp mark on the i9.

What the i8 does right, is that it is a "first" in the world basically. The worlds first hybrid sportscar essentially at a price that is pretty affordable in relative terms of exotic car owners. The dihedral doors, extreme fuel economy, extreme chassis construction engineering and futuristic looks make it a winner for a first ever hybrid sportscar. Now will the i8 retain it's value over the coming years? Definitely not. The i8 has now started a revolution of which car manufacturers are going to start making cars along the same concept at more affordable prices. Not everyone can afford a LaFerrari, 918, or P1, but you bet that the average well to do middle class professional can afford a $135k (before a $7,500 government incentive credit) BMW i8, or next generation Nissan R36 GTR (confirmed to be going hybrid assist drivetrain) and even the futuristic BMW i9.

Additionally from right out of the box, many car reviewers are saying that it drives and feels like a 911. The Full Carbon Fiber chassis gives the i8 the stiffness of a true sports car and the electric torque fill hyrid assist gives it sports car like acceleration. Even the 991 C2S only has 400hp and yet it's one of the best sports cars ever built, you don't buy a 911 for it's horsepower. The i8 is only 38hp shy of C2S power levels.

The i8's flaws from an enthusiasts perspective is the lack of power and exhaust note. The notes than come from the turbo 3 are pretty much completely synthesized. There is Active sound inside of the cabin, and their is a speaker in one of the two exhaust tips for the 3cyl engine. One exhaust tip is for actual exhaust to come out and the other tip is for exterior exhaust note sound generation. But look at what other BMW's have artificial sound in BMW's line up too, namely the M5/M6 and M3/M4, BMW's top performance models.

I believe that with a wider set of aftermarket wheels, a lower stance, and perhaps a one color scheme vinyl wrap or paint job the i8 can look so very sexy.

Case in points with the two pictures below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
It will perform better than M5 on resale at least over next 2 years. I would buy it if you don't need the space.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
Fortunately my dealer does not mark-up. They never have no matter what the model.

The car is surprisingly tight and stiff. The torque when both motors are running is very strong. It does not have the immediate highway passing punch the M5 provides. The visibility while driving is very good. That is something I was concerned about. More plastic in the interior than I was expecting but suppose this keeps the weight down.

Tons of looks and we had to move the car to continue our conversation since so many people wanted to get more info or take pictures. Don't get this car if you don't like talking to people.

The other car I have interest in is the new NSX but it is a long way off and there is little concrete information available.
Nice! Good problems (choices) to have - M5, i8, NSX, or...

I drove a Pano GTS last week - that would be my 140K dream car right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
+1

You are not alone.............
Appreciate 0