M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Rear Diff Bushing Pictures

I don't have the best access to internet right now due to work so I had my son send me these low res photos of markings collected from the differential support. As many of you may know BMW does not sell the bushing by itself so if you buy the RK billet diff brace and your old bushing is worn you will be stuck buy a brand new brace or a barely used brace to extract the bushing from.

1400 dollars plus the cost of the replacement bushing 200 to 450 becomes a pretty steep investment. It is still cheaper than the cost of repairing a diff, axels driveshaft etc. Any way all that to say if you have sometime and can help hunt this part down it would be greatly appreciated. I thankfully had a fellow forum member, Flo1989 , offer their low miles diff support to after he went with the GAW brace which is a very smart option if you don't want to be in this spot. Thanks again Flo1989!

Here are the number I think are embossed in the bushing:
13T102103104
155472-10
2 284 093
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Might be: 181102103104
Attached Images

2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-06-2022, 12:37 AM   #3
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Might be: 181102103104
Im looking for it. There are used bushings in the brace in ebay. Here is a link to power flex (link below). They dont make a diff bushing, but maybe we can email and ask them to do it???

I came from an e92 m3. This forum pretty much contact BE-Clevite and the company has since re-engineered slightly higher clearance rod bearings. Just a thought…

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/ca...2012-2018-1812
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:14 AM   #4
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sent a message. Lets see if they respond.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdriv3r View Post
If that need a donor brace to work with I'll be happy to supply mine. I will be installing a lightly used bushing from a low miles M6. I hit up the folks at power flex a while back so hopefully the additional info request will help speed this up for others.

I am looking at bushing for other parts on my car right now and this would have been an easy/no brainer add on for me.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
This is the part number pattern that I am seeing on other M cars, 2 284 093. It is usually preceeded with a 4 digit number that begins with a something like 3xxx-2284093 or 3xxx2284093 or 3x-xx-2-284-093.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
If that need a donor brace to work with I'll be happy to supply mine. I will be installing a lightly used bushing from a low miles M6. I hit up the folks at power flex a while back so hopefully the additional info request will help speed this up for others.

I am looking at bushing for other parts on my car right now and this would have been an easy/no brainer add on for me.
They responded today. They said its in the works.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is the part number pattern that I am seeing on other M cars, 2 284 093. It is usually preceeded with a 4 digit number that begins with a something like 3xxx-2284093 or 3xxx2284093 or 3x-xx-2-284-093.
I have noticed rear diff bushings for the M3 / M4, so there should be one for M5 / M6. I think the low mileage stock bushing is a good idea. What about the delring bushing from German Auto Werks? I dont know much about it, just read about it on other threads.

Btw, before you had the brace snap, did you feel the rear almost twisting slightly on hard pulls ???

Its an odd feeling, as my previous sc m3 was a more planted feel, but boost was far less in that platform and more linear. Was also making less power.

Plus, as its well documented in these cars, getting good traction is also a challenge.I am Stage II right now and feel that sometimes. I feel like I should get the brace at some point. Its just expensive. So researching the options…

Ill look at the part numbers also.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Thankfully mine did not break but after reading how others were adding power and doing other mods this issue was rearing its ugly head. I've decided to add the brace prior to adding power and attempting burnouts.

I don't know if the GAW sourced bushing will work in the RK Autowerks brace but others have had good things to say about them. As I was shopping around GAW was very responsive to chats and emails. Add the fact that you can buy a replacement bushing for their brace without the added cost or headache of finding an oem bushing my advice would be to go the GAW route.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-06-2022, 08:48 PM   #10
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is typical marketing response. I bet they haven't done any work on it. Honestly there aren't so many people out there who would buy it. We talk hand full. People with stock power don't have to worry or bother. People who really push more and need extra would opted out for GAW. I doubt they can recoup R&D cost for mold and tooling
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-06-2022, 11:58 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
It is a wear item like any other bushing. Guessing about 20k F10 M5. Add to that all the M6 variants then you are in the 30 or 40k units range. Granted there are losses to crashes but I am curious if this part was used on another platform. The again the cars are not cheap and someone paid for tooling and molds surely they didn't scrap them. Whoever made these for BMW has to be interested in RoI as well.

No one is going to get rich from making a replacement of one bushing but if you are replacing other bushing in the undercarriage then ya have some profit.

Last edited by TinCanSailor; 04-07-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #12
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
It is a wear item like any other bushing. Guessing about 20k F10 M5. Add to that all the M6 variants then you are in the 30 or 40k units range. Granted there are losses to crashes but I am curious if this part was used on another platform. The again the cars are not cheap and someone paid for tooling and molds surely they didn't scrap them. Whoever made these for BMW has to be interested in RoI as well.

No one is going to get rich from making a replacement of one bushing but if you are replacing other bushing in the undercarriage then ya have some profit.
Don't get me wrong, I would love someone to make one. But given the cost of mold which would be $20K-$30K not including the design and test time. Would be hard for them to go invest time. I bet that most if not all people with stock M5/M6 has never or will never replace this. % of people modifying their car and actually need something better is so small.
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      04-07-2022, 11:00 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
I think the ideal scenario would be to find that the part has a cousin within the portfolio of BMW products or within the aftermarket community. If this turns out to be a one of for this gen of M5/M6's then we are all riding unicorns and should enjoy them even more while they last.

I am already in need of bushings on the front. Speed bumps/tables and potholes have taken their toll on my car but we have been through this with our 550 as well. We had the 550 done through out indy and did a full sweep of everything to include l/r fronts, l/r rear, engine mounts, transmission and diff. We got a better price and fewer trips back to the shop and still drives like a champ nearly 70k miles later.

My interest in this is that I just want to do burnouts without the worry of snapping the diff brace. I know that monster builds are one of the primary reasons to do this mod but I am just looking for a little insurance for that transfer or torque. I have 90K+ miles on my M6 now and genuinely hope I can keep it on the road for 90k more.
Appreciate 2
Mdriv3r148.50
crazyinp298.00
      04-07-2022, 11:20 PM   #14
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Yeah I have been looking thru etka ans can't find anything similar. New gen use different design. I personally don't plan to get tune ans crazy power out of it. So I might end up Rk route and buy new brace/bushing from BMW for donor or just replace the old one with new OEM. Wish we have inside info to tell us who the OEM vendor is for the bmw kne
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2022, 12:24 AM   #15
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thankfully mine did not break but after reading how others were adding power and doing other mods this issue was rearing its ugly head. I've decided to add the brace prior to adding power and attempting burnouts.

I don't know if the GAW sourced bushing will work in the RK Autowerks brace but others have had good things to say about them. As I was shopping around GAW was very responsive to chats and emails. Add the fact that you can buy a replacement bushing for their brace without the added cost or headache of finding an oem bushing my advice would be to go the GAW route.
Yeah sorry about that. I got mixed up with threads. I've seen some damage pics from this. Its definitely a concern now.

I found a diff brace with stock bushing on ebay. Looks to be $ 204.99 or best offer. It has 46K miles on it. Here is a link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-18-BMW-M...-127632-2357-0
Appreciate 1