Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

PLEASE HELP! M5 Repairs

Hi Guys,

Picked up my E60 M5 about a year ago at 42k miles, now at 56k (SMG and 2008). I'm not sure where to post but could really use some help.

About 1.5-2 weeks ago I drove my car up to Boston and when I turned it on to drive home, the car immediately started to shake and said "Engine Malfunction." I knew it was in no condition to drive home so I had it towed to a BMW dealership close to my house in CT.

Here are the fault codes the dealership says I have:
  • TRANS FAULTS-4F40 SMG HYDRAULIC UNIT, 4FA0 SMG CLUTCH
  • ENGINE FAULTS-2B37 MISFIRE CUTOUT CYLINDER #3, AND 2B44 MISFIRE CYL 3

For the engine fault they are asking $1k, for the SMG repair it would be $9k. I did a quick google search and the part for the Engine is listed at $300. I have a warranty and the SMG is covered but I don't want to do deal with back and forth and have to wait 1-2 months for these repairs nor do I want to drop $10k. This warranty covered my tie-rods at full coverage however it took over a month of back and forth between the shop I used and the company.

Do you guys know of anyone that has had these issues or any shops in the tri-state area that will do this work for much less that way my warranty can pay out faster and I can get back in my car quicker.

Another question, should I go aftermarket to avoid this issue occurring in the future?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

When I see block caps and someone in bother I tend to react even though I'm over the pond!
I've seen Autocouture banded about in your neck of the woods, they may be able to speed things up and ppl say good things about this shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

The misfire is likely coils

The clutch issue isnt $9k its them having poor knowledge of this car
Either clutch or sensor or wiring harness
All easy fixed

I hate any aftermarket warranty they are a pia
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
When I see block caps and someone in bother I tend to react even though I'm over the pond!
I've seen Autocouture banded about in your neck of the woods, they may be able to speed things up and ppl say good things about this shop.
Thanks man spoke to them and they are working on a quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
The misfire is likely coils

The clutch issue isnt $9k its them having poor knowledge of this car
Either clutch or sensor or wiring harness
All easy fixed

I hate any aftermarket warranty they are a pia
The misfire isn't what I'm worried about Autocouture said its plugs and coils should do the trick.

the $9k is them either not wanting to do the work or trying to screw me over. I did some reading on the forums and some research its only the 06-07 that needs to have the whole hydraulic unit replaced. I believe its a sensor, motor, or pump.

Aftermarket is nice but the back and forth and the negotiating on parts is too long of a process for me to wait for. Rather find somewhere that KNOWS what they are doing and for less $$$.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshiftapex View Post
Hi Guys,

Picked up my E60 M5 about a year ago at 42k miles, now at 56k (SMG and 2008). I'm not sure where to post but could really use some help.

About 1.5-2 weeks ago I drove my car up to Boston and when I turned it on to drive home, the car immediately started to shake and said "Engine Malfunction." I knew it was in no condition to drive home so I had it towed to a BMW dealership close to my house in CT.

Here are the fault codes the dealership says I have:
  • TRANS FAULTS-4F40 SMG HYDRAULIC UNIT, 4FA0 SMG CLUTCH
  • ENGINE FAULTS-2B37 MISFIRE CUTOUT CYLINDER #3, AND 2B44 MISFIRE CYL 3

For the engine fault they are asking $1k, for the SMG repair it would be $9k. I did a quick google search and the part for the Engine is listed at $300. I have a warranty and the SMG is covered but I don't want to do deal with back and forth and have to wait 1-2 months for these repairs nor do I want to drop $10k. This warranty covered my tie-rods at full coverage however it took over a month of back and forth between the shop I used and the company.

Do you guys know of anyone that has had these issues or any shops in the tri-state area that will do this work for much less that way my warranty can pay out faster and I can get back in my car quicker.

Another question, should I go aftermarket to avoid this issue occurring in the future?
Did you check your SMG pump relay? Try replacing it and see if that helps? It's a $10 part and might as well do the tranny oil pump relay too as preventive maintenance
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
kushtrim
Major
Albania
Rep
Drives: AW 528 xdrive (AW 335i coupe s

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [10.00]
Witch BMW dealer did you take it to, I hope not BMW of Portchester. They will try to rip you off.
Auto Couture is a Great Shop, that's probably the best place to take your BMW.
M-tech front and rear bumpers /M3 style side skirts/gloss black painted roof/ black window trim/Matt black grill/35%tints/4"dimisaTips/CF splitters/M3 style trunk spoiler/VMR V70s/JB4/BMS dci/AMS FMIC/H&R sport with BMW performance shocks.
Thanx Sal and he's crew@AutoCoutureMotoring
Appreciate 0