M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Project Car
Mazda Miata (First-Gen) 4 15.38%
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 7 26.92%
Datsun 280Z 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

12-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Help me choose a project car!

READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING

So I've been scouring the internet for quite a while now and have decided that I want to get one of three projects for the garage. A first-gen Mazda Miata, a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (AWD), or a Nissan 280Z. Now with each of these comes their pros and cons:

Mazda Miata
Pros:
  • Cheap to buy
  • Cheap to repair/mod
  • Fun and easy to work on
  • Massive community and wide range of aftermarket parts
  • Pop-up headlights
Cons:
  • Lacks power without turbo :

Mitsubishi 3000GT
Pros:
  • Massive power off the bat
  • AWD makes tracking great
  • Collectable
  • Twin turbo and can make massive power with boost
  • Beautiful styling
  • Lots of fun gimmicks such as four wheel steering, active aero, etc.
  • Pop-up headlights
Cons:
  • Expensive and hard to find
  • Small community and small aftermarket
  • Hard to work on

Datsun 280Z
Pros:
  • Gorgeous
  • Classic
  • Easy to work on
  • Average sized community
  • Large aftermarket
Cons:
  • Would most likely need an engine swap to have any sort of power
  • Most have substantial rust
  • Expensive

If there's anything that I missed, I would be glad to hear it. And if you have any other projects in mind, let me know please.
      12-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

3000GT would be the most interesting to me. Since you're in the states, you can also get donor parts from Dodge Stealths. I think the R/T Turbo is the equivalent to the VR4.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

If you have any specific questions about the VR4, let me know lol. I had one back in college and did quite a bit with it (~520awhp/tq). I was on 3Si for a long time as well and am still friends with quite a few people in the community, including a few that have their own shop for parts and specialize in building the 3/S.

They're great cars and a lot of fun. It's hard to find one that hasn't been beat to hell though, and the clean ones definitely aren't cheap anymore.

Some items of note:

-5 speed (91-93) the weakpoint is the transfer case. Finding a later model 1st Gen with a 25 spline output shaft is a better bet but you still need to be careful with the transfer case. A few different companies made braces for it.

-6 speed (94-99) they fixed the transfer case issue for the most part, and they're all 25 spline, but the bellhousings sometimes crack on the 6 speed (Ray Pampena built a brace for it I believe).

-They all have rod bearing/oil pressure issues eventually. Same with the timing belt. And sometimes the valve stem seals. I replaced all of that, along with the water pump as preventative maintenance right when I got mine.

-The stock 9B turbos are useless. As are the stock intercoolers. You reach their max/heatsoak pretty quickly. There are a few good options if you want to stick with the stock TD04 housing/manifolds though. DSM sidemount intercoolers work well with TD04 turbos too. Once you make this switch to TD05 though, you need FMIC.
      12-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

In the early 90’s I had 2 coworkers, one with a 2 year old NSX purchased used and one with a stealth rt tt (same as 3000gt vr4) bought brand new. They paid similar money for both cars.

The NSX was a thing of beauty, perfection in every respect. Meanwhile the stealth was a pile of crap. If I recall correctly it had a cable operated shifter that felt loose and clunky brand new. The quality of materials and worksmanship was junk, I recall many trips to the dealership with that car. Panel fitment terrible, reliability terrible, heavy and ugly. To me there is no romance in it, it was junk and is junk. I would cross that right off the list and go from there.

I’m honestly surprised anyone has interest in that car today, to me it’s like the gremlin/pinto of sports cars.

Last edited by Biginboca; 12-17-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Datsun 280Z all day... just for the aesthetics alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
So far I'm the only Miata vote. Cheap and easy fun, plus robust enthusiast community.

The other two cars in my view will be harder to keep running in good condition. I never went for the 3000GT back in the day. I liked the 280Z but it doesn't move me today, and it's pretty old now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

+1 for a classic Datsun 240Z/280Z
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I voted for the 280Z.

IMO
the Z is super classy and timeless.

The original Miata NA was nimble and fun. Reminiscent of the Lotus Elan only much more reliable. But it's just too cutesy.

And the Mitsu was just too much. It was disco after disco was over.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I voted for the 280Z.

IMO

The original Miata NA was nimble and fun. Reminiscent of the Lotus Elan only much more reliable. But it's just too cutesy.

I worry about the wring (harness) in the Mitsubishi for a few different reasons.

Miata I wouldn't bother restoring but more of a rat-rod complete repairing of the mechanical parts but not putting a pricey paint job or interior or adequate power into.

The Nissan I would take to a shell weld in new metal, hit it with pretty paint, cool race car interior have a myriad of cool engines to choose from and I'd have something very special.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      12-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I voted for the 280Z.

IMO

I worry about the wring (harness) in the Mitsubishi for a few different reasons.

Miata I wouldn't bother restoring but more of a rat-rod complete repairing of the mechanical parts but not putting a pricey paint job or interior or adequate power into.

The Nissan I would take to a shell weld in new metal, hit it with pretty paint, cool race car interior have a myriad of cool engines to choose from and I'd have something very special.
Problem is, engine swapping into a 280Z requires a massive amount of time and effort as well as custom fabrication. The Miata may lack power and look cutesy, but with a nice paintjob and body kit, it can look great and with a turbo kit, it's more than fast enough for a drift build (which sounds quite fun tbh). And if I ever am unsatisfied with the turbo power, then there are full kits of V8 engine swaps like the LS3 which would give it a massive amount of power, with great reliability as it comes with a new drivetrain, axles, and front subframe.

Also, side note, I seriously cannot find a 240/280Z for under $8,000. Anything under that is plagued with a massive amount of rust.
      12-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysosa View Post
Problem is, engine swapping into a 280Z requires a massive amount of time and effort as well as custom fabrication. The Miata may lack power and look cutesy, but with a nice paintjob and body kit, it can look great and with a turbo kit, it's more than fast enough for a drift build (which sounds quite fun tbh). And if I ever am unsatisfied with the turbo power, then there are full kits of V8 engine swaps like the LS3 which would give it a massive amount of power, with great reliability as it comes with a new drivetrain, axles, and front subframe.

Also, side note, I seriously cannot find a 240/280Z for under $8,000. Anything under that is plagued with a massive amount of rust.
But whatever amount of money and love you put into the Z will intrinsically stay in the vehicle. It's will just get more desirable.
Appreciate 0