M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Group global sales achieve best-ever June and first half-year

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Group global sales achieve best-ever June and first half-year
COMMENTS
Name:  P90211612-bmw-welt-bmw-group-corporate-headquarters-02-2016-2415px.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  121.1 KB

• BMW Group sales in first half-year up 5.0% to 1,220,819
  • Electrified vehicles sales increase 80% to 42,573
  • BMW Group delivers 232,620 vehicles in June, up 2.1%
  • BMW sales increase 2.0%, totalling 192,873
  • MINI sales grow 3.0% to 39,443
  • Market launch of MINI Countryman PHEV grows electrified range to nine models

Munich,Germany- July 12, 2017... BMW Group sales achieved their best ever June, with sales in the month totalling 232,620, a 2.1% increase year-on-year. It was also a record first half-year with sales of the BMW Group’s three premium brands, BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce, increasing by 5.0%; a total of 1,220,819 vehicles have been delivered to customers around the world so far this year.

“June rounds off our best ever first half-year and the BMW Group remains the world’s leading premium car company,” commented Dr Ian Robertson, Member of the BMW AG Board of Management with responsibility for Sales and Brand BMW. “We’ve already sold more than a million BMW vehicles this year, which is a new first-half-year record. June also saw our successful electrification strategy expand still further to include the MINI brand, meaning customers can now choose from nine electrified BMW Group vehicles. With sales of these models up by eighty per cent compared with the first half of last year, we’re looking forward to celebrating delivery of the 200,000th electrified BMW Group vehicle later this year,” he continued.

The BMW brand achieved its best-ever first half-year, topping the million mark for the first time ever by this point in the year. Global BMW sales totalled 1,038,030 units, an increase of 5.2% on the same period last year. Sales of BMW brand vehicles in June totalled 192,873, up 2.0% compared with the same month last year. A wide range of models throughout the range contributed to this growth. Sales of the BMW X1 increased 45.2% (136,748) in the first half-year while deliveries of the BMW X5 increased by 10.6% (89,958). BMW 1 Series sales grew by 6.5% (91,802) in the first half-year, while deliveries of the flagship BMW 7 Series increased during the same period by 26.9% (32,290).

June saw the arrival of the MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4 in the dealerships, the ninth electrified vehicle from the BMW Group which is available to purchase today. The popularity of the BMW Group’s innovative premium electrified vehicles continues to grow at a rapid rate: in the first six months of the year, a total of 42,573 BMW i, BMW iPerformance and MINI Electric vehicles were delivered to customers, an increase of 79.8% on the same period last year. First-half-year production of electrified vehicles totalled 51,725. The BMW Group is well on track to achieve its target of selling 100,000 electrified vehicles in 2017.

Sales of MINI brand vehicles achieved a new record for June with 39,443 units delivered to customers around the world, an increase of 3.0% compared with the same month last year. June rounded off the brand’s record first half year, with sales totalling 181,214 (+3.6%). “MINI continues to achieve sustainable growth in sales around the world,” said Peter Schwarzenbauer, Member of the BMW AG Board of Management responsible for MINI, Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad. “Sales of the new MINI Countryman are particularly pleasing and I’m delighted that with the launch in June of the MINI Cooper S E Countryman ALL4, electric mobility is now available on a large scale from the MINI brand. Customer interest in this car has been extremely high and I’m confident we will see continued growth across the brand in the second half of the year,” he added.

In the first half of 2017, the Goodwood-based Rolls-Royce brand delivered 1,575 (-6.5%) motor cars to customers. The same period in 2016 was particularly strong due to the popularity of the newly introduced Rolls-Royce Dawn. This base effect, and the absence from the market of the Phantom pending the introduction of the new Phantom later this year, account for the decrease in sales year-on-year. Despite considerable ongoing headwinds in the luxury sector in several regions, Rolls-Royce continues to strive for long-term sustainable growth.

BMW Motorrad achieved its best-ever June with a total of 17,260 motorcycles and maxi-scooters delivered to customers, an increase of 15.1% on the same month last year. Those figures helped BMW Motorrad achieve a record first half-year with sales totalling 88,389 in the first six months of the year, up 9.5% on the same period last year.

BMW & MINI sales in the regions/markets at a glance
With the automotive market experiencing challenges in several significant markets, the BMW Group continues to follow its policy of balancing sales around the world to achieve sustainable, profitable growth.

Europe is the BMW Group’s most significant sales area and despite recent downturns in the region’s two largest markets, Germany and the UK, overall BMW Group sales for the first half of 2017 are up 2.2%.

BMW Group sales in Asia continue to achieve significant growth this year, driven mainly by China, where combined BMW and MINI deliveries are up 18.4% in the first half-year. This strong increase is largely due to full availability of the BMW X1 and the popularity of the new BMW 1 Series sedan, a car designed exclusively for China.

BMW and MINI sales in the Americas continue to be affected by the decline in the overall automotive market in the USA. Meanwhile sales in other markets in the region maintain their positive growth, with BMW Group deliveries in Mexico and Latin America achieving a further double-digit increase.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 9.23.00 AM.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  88.2 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Queue the "BMW isn't what it used to be" comments.
Appreciate 1
Laki021366.50
      07-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Queue the "BMW isn't what it used to be" comments.
Sales aren't everything. It would be interesting to see what percentage of BMW sales are repeat buyers vs new buyers. Personally, after 17 years of owning BMWs, once the lease is up on our F30, I'd be surprised if there's another one in the garage.

Unless there's some sort of rwd sedan, hatch, wagon available in the US smaller than the F30. And of course there's no chance of that.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      07-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Sales aren't everything. It would be interesting to see what percentage of BMW sales are repeat buyers vs new buyers. Personally, after 17 years of owning BMWs, once the lease is up on our F30, I'd be surprised if there's another one in the garage.
Because there are many interesting choices now, and BMW is not the only compelling player in the game. And that game is changing fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Wywrot
Rep
Drives: F80

Yeah... All about money. Nothing about quality (poor) and customer service (even worst)...
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Personally, after 17 years of owning BMWs, once the lease is up on our F30, I'd be surprised if there's another one in the garage.

Unless there's some sort of rwd sedan, hatch, wagon available in the US smaller than the F30. And of course there's no chance of that.
i3? I kid. Well sort of - I mean it does technically fit the criteria you gave. I get it though - its not very attractive, not a high performance offering, and even the REX is not really practical as a no-range-anxiety PHEV.

Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, no one else is offering small, practical RWD vehicles anymore either. I understand your sentiment - I too find myself wondering what direction I might go with my next vehicle purchase in a few years. Like you, I am not certain that a larger vehicle is the right next step for me (in fact, I am pretty sure it isn't). Given the lack of small RWD sedan or hatchback offerings on the market, a small Haldex AWD vehicle seems like a real possibility. And there are plenty to choose from, including high performance ones. An RS3, for example, has 400hp and can accelerate to 60mph comfortably under 4 seconds. I wish BMW would enter that space, but they have shown zero interest so far (no small sedan except in China, no Haldex M vehicles).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

It's all about that Chinese market now. Americans are slowly but surely turning to Pure Electric cars as will Europe.

Still, the sale of so many cars and so much profits leaves me baffled as to why they want to cut costs everywhere and not come up with an all new engine design for the next generation F90 M5. BMW's strategy is changing. They would rather design and introduce an X2 than design an all new bespoke engine for ///M cars. The ///Motorsport Engine is dying and will soon be replaced by hybrid drivetrains and then full electric drivetrains. I just hope I am not alive to see the day when an M3 is all electric. ///M cars should always have a good exhaust note, it's part of the ///M ownership experience and motorsport history. Let the rest of the lineup be efficient and full electric if you want, but don't kill research and development into what could be amazing and exciting naturally aspirated gasoline powered ///Motorsport engines just for ///M cars. Now Chinese car companies will have the first new Koenigsegg camless engine technology and not BMW. BMW is taking the ///M Division in the wrong direction. The rest of the lineup is fine. Not all cars need to stop using gasoline to save the planet, just the ones everyday people drive to get back and forth to work.

End rant.

Appreciate 1
c63er876.00
      07-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
i3? I kid. Well sort of - I mean it does technically fit the criteria you gave. I get it though - its not very attractive, not a high performance offering, and even the REX is not really practical as a no-range-anxiety PHEV.

Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, no one else is offering small, practical RWD vehicles anymore either. I understand your sentiment - I too find myself wondering what direction I might go with my next vehicle purchase in a few years. Like you, I am not certain that a larger vehicle is the right next step for me (in fact, I am pretty sure it isn't). Given the lack of small RWD sedan or hatchback offerings on the market, a small Haldex AWD vehicle seems like a real possibility. And there are plenty to choose from, including high performance ones. An RS3, for example, has 400hp and can accelerate to 60mph comfortably under 4 seconds. I wish BMW would enter that space, but they have shown zero interest so far (no small sedan except in China, no Haldex M vehicles).
Funny, I very nearly bought one after the national test drive cars made the rounds, but the initial range was just a little too light and the US REX engagement seemed stupid. Love the drive and actually kinda like the style.

Wife's on the Model 3 list, just waiting on details of what will be available and what Supercharger access will cost.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7508.50
      07-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Funny, I very nearly bought one after the national test drive cars made the rounds, but the initial range was just a little too light and the US REX engagement seemed stupid. Love the drive and actually kinda like the style.

Wife's on the Model 3 list, just waiting on details of what will be available and what Supercharger access will cost.
Hey the style grew on me as well and ended up buying one. No regrets their! Commute is only 6 miles to work anyhow!
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      07-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

BMW is for sure focusing on Asian market with these stats lol. Surprised even U.S had an increase of 1.2% with all the hate comments coming from this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
It always surprises me how much hate is on these forum posts yet you still drive a BMW and are active on this forum. :

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
It always surprises me how much hate is on these forum posts yet you still drive a BMW and are active on this forum. :
Don't think it's hate. It's that most of us on here are enthusiasts and have experienced the days when BMW's were fantastic. Nowadays, their cars seem to be different from before. Keyword here is different. Whether that's worse or better than before, many people have deemed them to have lost their way. Way too many lines and models and not enough focus on what made BMW great. One can argue that BMWs haven't changed much and still make great vehicles. Whilst that may be true, the fact that other makers are now being better or are replacing BMW on top 10 or awards lists is saying something.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:

If you are looking in the premium compact segment I guess you are correct, there really only is one option, the A3 Sportback and it is definitely a nice car but it is also not rwd. So I'd be interested what sub-F30 rwd wagon you are going to after the F30?

I totally agree with you though that the wagon segment is completely neglected in NA.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #14
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Que the .. "BMW isn't what it used to be comments"

Great point. But for everyone one of you, there's a new BMW owner to compensate. As long as that occurs, BMW probably won't care.

Over the last 10 years, it's obvious they're appealing to mass market than the traditional enthusiast driver. But hey, the former seems to be making them plenty of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #15
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Own a 135i [MY 2010] and doing European Delivery again, but for a MY 2018 M2. Have owned 5 BMW motorcycles and ridden over 150,000 miles on them. I love BMW engineering. Test drove a Tesla S P90D a year ago with Ludicrous mode. Meh. Heavy computer on wheels with lots of glitz' great for geeks, not for gearheads.
      07-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Smh every time I read these comments

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Great point. But for everyone one of you, there's a new BMW owner to compensate. As long as that occurs, BMW probably won't care.

Over the last 10 years, it's obvious they're appealing to mass market than the traditional enthusiast driver. But hey, the former seems to be making them plenty of money.
That's a short-sighted POV if that is indeed their mindset. Losing brand-loyal repeat buyers will no doubt negatively impact (or at least mitigate) their potential sales.