rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Delivered

Ok, it's been here 3 weeks but that's a minor technicality

Initial impressions are wow!

Although the roads aren't great at this time of year it has been dry enough on a few occasions to have a brief look at what this car can do. Although I have been trying to abide by a careful run in procedure there have been a couple of occasions when I may have not been so cautious.

Looks wise, the Singapore Grey with the Sakhir Orange is incredible. I love the subtleness, understated look of it but at the same time it has enough presence to stand out from the crowd.

The car itself is a pleasure to drive. Even just gently cruising along it always seems to be ready to kick on. It almost seems to encourage you to take it by the scruff of the neck and give it a blast. On those occasions I have given in the power of this thing is incredible. It will just go! I have been mostly in Sport+ which may be why. I have 3 little kids who absolutely love it when we set off. They love the throw you back in the seat acceleration.

Options are fairly normal. The Adaptive LEDs are great although in normal night time driving I can't really see much difference between them and the xenons. In the underground car park at work they do seem noticeably better and the light is much crisper. I love that the comfort access is on the rear doors as well. That was a bugbear on the 335.

This was bought as a car to fit all 3 kids in comfortably whilst having enough fun for me to enjoy on those trips when the kids stay at home. On both counts it is a success and there are no regrets about anything. Ok, I still keep thinking I should have added the Competition Pack but at least is gives me something to add next time There is enough room for two Isofix seats and a small booster cushion in between which is all I needed. We have non Isofix seats too which if used may allow for a full booster in between but I've not tried that yet. I'm glad I added the folding seats though just to have the Isofix access doors.

The only downside is just how quickly it will get you to the speed limit. There's barely enough time to start grinning before you have to back off I may have ever so slightly gone over the limit once or twice as the HUD didn't seem able to properly keep up

A few photos taken a couple of weeks ago after it was detailed and the GTechniq Crystal Serum applied. It's brought out the shine, even on gloomy overcast days.

Overall, a fantastic car that does not disappoint. The power and acceleration is epic which when combined with the comfort is the perfect combination. A gentle cruiser with the ability to transform into an animal.

Love it!
Attached Images

12-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Congratulations on your rocketship! Enjoy in good health! 2nd gear adventures can initially be somewhat scary
      12-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Enjoy your new beast great colour combo
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Looking great, superb colour choice.
      12-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
Congrats. Nice color combo.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
rocky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

i almost got the singapore grey but chose the MCB. But after seeing your pics of your beast, im almost thinking i shouldve gotten the SG. Great car, i recommend you wire open ur exhaust valves for a more aggressive tone. Enjoy....
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 01:57 AM   #7
jamiesecker
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

Congrats on the choice of colour combo. It really is an amazing car isn't it.
      12-31-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Congratulations - that is one of the best color combinations.

I also had the Gtechniq Crystal Lacquer applied to my Jaguar F Type. It is good stuff.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I also had the Gtechniq Crystal Lacquer applied to my Jaguar F Type. It is good stuff.
Is that C1 Crystal Lacquer that you had applied? We had C1 then EXOv1 applied to two of our cars.

I have also used C1.5 & C2 (v1 & v2); excellent standalone & as maintenance products for C1 & EXO.

Crystal Serum is a new product from GTechniq; not sure if it's yet available in NA.

And rjberry; congrats SG/SO; this was the combo I would have gone for if I hadn't bought the 535d first - still went SO inside the M5, couldn't not do that, lol. I also stuck with the Aluminium Trace - my detailer said it would be difficult to clean, but after 10K miles still looks good as new. I doubt that I could have kept Piano or M Perf CF in the same condition.

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-02-2015 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 01:36 AM   #10
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
And rjberry; congrats SG/SO; this was the combo I would have gone for if I hadn't bought the 535d first - still went SO inside the M5, couldn't not do that, lol. I also stuck with the Aluminium Trace - my detailer said it would be difficult to clean, but after 10K miles still looks good as new. I doubt that I could have kept Piano or M Perf CF in the same condition.
The SG/SO combination is a timeless classic that will endure through the ages

After coming from a beige then a black interior, I had always planned on the SO interior so the choice of external colour was the only real decision I had to make.

The Aluminium Trace has grown on me more and more. It was only ever there to have something on the order form but I'm not sure I would swap it out now. The Piano Black shows every fingerprint, smudge or water drop mark going so although it looks good, it was always a nightmare to keep clean.

Nearly a month into M5 ownership and I couldn't be happier with the car
      01-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
After coming from a beige then a black interior, I had always planned on the SO interior so the choice of external colour was the only real decision I had to make.
lol; I did the same; SO interior first, exterior 2nd - missed the carbon/imola I had on previous M - back then the std E46 M-specific 'titanium' trim was a cheap looking grey plastic (not the best picture, but may just about show how bad it was) - std aluminium trace is a welcome improvement - Audi-like is some respects (in a good way). All but one of my interim BMWs have been blk interior so got bored & had to go red again!

PS, I would be interested on your feedback on Crystal Serum & swirl resistance in a few months time; the finish on your SG is very deep/glossy
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-03-2015 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
lol; I did the same; SO interior first, exterior 2nd - missed the carbon/imola I had on previous M - back then the std E46 M-specific 'titanium' trim was a cheap looking grey plastic (not the best picture, but may just about show how bad it was) - std aluminium trace is a welcome improvement - Audi-like is some respects (in a good way). All but one of my interim BMWs have been blk interior so got bored & had to go red again!

PS, I would be interested on your feedback on Crystal Serum & swirl resistance in a few months time; the finish on your SG is very deep/glossy
I love the look of the red interior, if BMW had done a merino red/orange interior for the F30 I'd have had that last time but sadly it was only the dakota leather

I would have gone carbon had it been a factory option, seems strange it wasn't there as it seems to be for every other M car. Maybe next time

I'm hoping the Crystal Serum holds up as well as expected. I usually take most of the claims with a heavy marketing pinch of salt but I had the C1.5 on the last car and that seemed to last. I only had the car for 50 weeks though so can't really comment on the very long term.

The CS was explained as having a candy like gloss to it. At the time it made no sense to me, it was only after seeing the final version that the penny dropped. I'll try to update when the sun comes out to see if I can see any marks on the paint at all.
      01-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I love the look of the red interior, if BMW had done a merino red/orange interior for the F30 I'd have had that last time but sadly it was only the dakota leather

I would have gone carbon had it been a factory option, seems strange it wasn't there as it seems to be for every other M car. Maybe next time
This is true for std and listed Indy options, an email to BMW Individual in Germany can result in almost anything you want, if approved. Having said this, personally I wouldn't want to pay at lot extra to have carbon black on an M5 when some of the F10 M sports get it for no extra cost. If paying extra for it, I'd rather have something that is more unique.

Quote:
I'm hoping the Crystal Serum holds up as well as expected. I usually take most of the claims with a heavy marketing pinch of salt but I had the C1.5 on the last car and that seemed to last. I only had the car for 50 weeks though so can't really comment on the very long term.

The CS was explained as having a candy like gloss to it. At the time it made no sense to me, it was only after seeing the final version that the penny dropped. I'll try to update when the sun comes out to see if I can see any marks on the paint at all.
Totally agreed on marketing; detailing world forum users are claiming that CS is better than Modesta, if it is, it will be an exceptional product. Detailer application of C1 can resist swirls for 1 yr+ if applied and maintained correctly, so I'd expect a well maintained CS to still be relatively swirl free after 1-2 years if it's as good as they say.

I'd recommend GTecnniq T1 for tyres if you feel inclined/haven't tried already. I've been getting ~6months per application.

Last edited by Dionysus; 01-04-2015 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0