Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Gas tank won't completely fill up?

This has happened the past two items I filled up, at two different Shell stations. I'm filling the tank and the pump stops, however when I start the car the tank isn't completely full. The meter sits on the "F" but not just past the "F" like normal, and the miles to empty gauge directly below is not close to 100%...one time it showed about 3/4 and 350 miles to empty, and this time it is about 80-85% and 380 miles to empty. Normally both meters are pegged full and I show ~440 miles to empty. Tonight I tried to continue pumping but the pump continually shut off as though the tank was full, even though both gauges say it's not 100%.

Anyone else experience this? I don't want to go to the service department (where I just was two weeks ago) without some level of information. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
This has happened the past two items I filled up, at two different Shell stations. I'm filling the tank and the pump stops, however when I start the car the tank isn't completely full. The meter sits on the "F" but not just past the "F" like normal, and the miles to empty gauge directly below is not close to 100%...one time it showed about 3/4 and 350 miles to empty, and this time it is about 80-85% and 380 miles to empty. Normally both meters are pegged full and I show ~440 miles to empty. Tonight I tried to continue pumping but the pump continually shut off as though the tank was full, even though both gauges say it's not 100%.

Anyone else experience this? I don't want to go to the service department (where I just was two weeks ago) without some level of information. Thanks.
never judge how empty/full your tank is by range! range is shown according to your consumption/driving habbits

when i am driving in city, full tank will show me just around 300miles when its full, on highway i have seen 500+ miles!!!

regarding the arrow on the meter, it sits on "F", it never goes over it in m5, unlike it did it my past bmw's

dont get confused, its normal, if pump shuts off, it means your tank is full

go to petrol station when your tank is half-empty next time and you will be able to put 40-44L
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Top off your tank. Then you will know it is full. I never trait when the pump stops.

I agree with the other guys - the f10M does not go past full on the gauge.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Thanks for the information. I guess I just find it odd that, in over a year of owning the car, this is the first time this happened, and consecutively at that. The range always said the same thing. But I'm relieved to know that I won't run out of gas.

I reckon the low range is the car's way of telling me I need to take it for a more spirited drive...and I'm happy to oblige.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Since i live in the city, my car shows 260 miles range when i fill it up full. I guess it depends on where you live... Highway or city
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

- Range (and rage meter) does vary due to drivers driving habits.

- The fuel gauge can appear it's at a different position by looking at it from the passenger seat vs looking at it from the drivers seat vs looking at it from standing at the pump.

- Pumps do malfunction. If they stop short you will know that by looking at gallons meter or sitting in drivers seat and looking at the fuel gauge. If they overfill you will have gas all over your car, yourself, and see a waterfall down the rear quarter panel. Not fun.
Note: If the M5 is overfilled, the meter will be slightly higher than you normally see it at.

- Never fill the car up with additional fuel after the pump clicks off. Not a good idea. When the pump clicks off the car is full.

I always try to make it to a shell, or if I can't then ill go to a chevron as they are top tier gas providers.

List of top tier providers:
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
      03-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
mikeymikeX3
Rep
Drives: X3

Hey i noticed this post as i did a search online as I have been having the same issue with my 2017 X3. Ive only filled it 5 or 6 times, at two different Shell stations and each time at a diff pump. But I cant get it past the 3/4 full mark.
Notice the digital gas meter below the speedometer. Check the two pics I attached. The first full one is when I picked up the vehicle from the dealer. the second is one of my fill ups.
I hope you have some ideas..? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymikeX3 View Post
Hey i noticed this post as i did a search online as I have been having the same issue with my 2017 X3. Ive only filled it 5 or 6 times, at two different Shell stations and each time at a diff pump. But I cant get it past the 3/4 full mark.
Notice the digital gas meter below the speedometer. Check the two pics I attached. The first full one is when I picked up the vehicle from the dealer. the second is one of my fill ups.
I hope you have some ideas..? Thanks.
I had the same issue and it was a faulty fuel sending unit that never registered properly (above 7/8). Take it to the dealer if it is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0