Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-31-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
///M5ForWin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Replacing Kidney Grill with Night Vision

Hi Guys. After owning the car for two years, I finally decided to pull the trigger on black kidney grille and side vents from IND. Unfortunately, I was unable to upgrade to the LCI grille because I was not convinced it would fit since I have Night Vision. My search for a step by step guide to removing the grille with night vision was unsuccessful. I did find this tread which I basically followed:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422572

I discovered there were not one, but two connections to the night vision unit. One was a standard electrical connection with a clip to hold it in place and a rubber tube, which either blows air on the night vision lens or it might have been connected to the headlight washer, I'm not sure. The new black painted grille from IND included the housing for the night vision unit, but after I removed the stock grille, I found it easier to simply remove the three screws that secured the night vision housing to the back of the grille itself and exchange the entire unit to the new grille. Oh, and there was one additional screw that needed to be removed from the top along with the six hex bolts under the rubber stripping. This screw actually held the top of the night vision housing in place, so you would be unable to remove the old grille without first removing this screw. Examining the new grille it was easy to identify where this screw was located based on the screw hole on the night vision housing.

I'm sorry I did not take pictures during this process. Frankly, removing the grille was pretty easy even with the night vision. I actually regret ordering the night vision option. I very seldom use it; it prevented me from upgrading to the LCI grille, and although not difficult to accomplish, removing the grille with the night vision did require a couple of extra steps.

So, if you have Night Vision and want to upgrade to the black painted grille, I say go for it. The process in not complicated and easily doable.
2011 X5 35d Black

Last edited by ///M5ForWin; 11-02-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
1320racer137.50
      11-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Do you want to sell your stock grille? If so, I am interested. Please PM me how much you would want for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

i face the same problem yesterday.
Any solution guys my dealer told to get the new cam and it's for 3000 $ that's too much for face lifting the grill lool
Appreciate 0