BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #23
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 m850gc

Op, you need to drive them both to see which one you like the best. That's what it should come down to. Do have a family? Is it your only car? Will you be driving clients around? They're both great cars and as its been said before the performance difference may be marginal. It's a hard choice but either one will put a smile on your face.
      05-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #24
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I guess were talking about stock vs stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #25
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Hey guys,

I am in the market looking to replace my 535i with either an M3, M5, or M6. Prices for these three cars that I am looking at dont differ much as the M5 and M6 will be CPO, coming at around the same price as a new M3, in the 90-100k range. I love all three cars and I will be testing them out next week to make my final decision.

The question I had was, how different is the M5 going to feel with the Competition package and M Performance Exhaust compared to a 2014 M6 without the Competition pack? Is the M5 going to be marginally better? Will the difference be worth the M5 being $10k more expensive? Or will they be more evenly matched?

Thank you.
Comparing M6 non CP with M5 CP depends on different perspectives.
Overall M6 has lower center of gravity thanks to CF roof and less height. No need to add that M6 has less height and wider track over entire current M cars! The lower center of gravity helps better cornering and turning specially on track. Also M6 has stiffer suspension while M5 has more comfortable ride. M6 has more road noise coming from tires while M5 has better insolated cabin. M5 has the best (more comfortable) seats compare to other M cars. As far as which one is faster in straight line, since M6 (even non CP) has better power to weight ratio compare to M5 CP (due to 150lb lighter weight) and slightly better Drag coefficient, while this model has a 2.29 m2 frontal area, its drag area being 0.73 m2 and the drag coefficient - 0.32 compare to M5 with 2.40 m2 , drag area of 0.79 m2 and drag coefficient 0.33, she (M6) should be faster... BUT there is a more important question here:
Do you need coupe or sedan??
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 03:56 AM   #26
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Lets just talk logic for a minute. When magazines test cars there are several variables that from a mathematical stand point are impossible to replicate on a consistent basis and these tests are always done multiple times with different drivers and averaged within that specific limited time frame. One magazine may test a vehicle at a location where the altitude will effect air density offering less oxygen for the engine to utilize thus reducing power. If altitude isn't the issue then time of year and temperature can have a similar effect whereby cold weather offers more oxygen but tires have less grip while hot weather is better for traction but there is less oxygen available. There are other weather variables but you can use deductive reasoning on your own to figure that out. Some of the newer M cars are using Pirelli tires instead of the PSS tires, which we all know and love that have superior traction, since the elusive compound has been utilized in developing their new all season version which is why the PSS's are on back order. From a standstill those tires will have better grip.

The suspension settings and traction settings make a huge difference on the launch. Fuel is another variable that can't be ignored. Perhaps a car came from California with a full tank of 91 octane is trucked over to Florida and gets tested against a car from Florida with 93 octane. Do you see how many variables need to be accounted for? Those that work for the magazines don't know the cars inside and out like an owner does. They have limited time to experiment with everything and you can see major discrepancies between several major magazines on identical cars that claim to have similar testing procedures.

Maybe one car has 1/4 of a tank of fuel and ccb's while the other has a full tank and steel brakes. A full tanks of fuel weighs 140lbs give or take, ccb's lose another 45lbs, let's just say for arguments sake you've got a fat 6'3 whale in the driver seat with a full tank without ccb's and camera equipment in the trunk. Then we can compare the human variable. Was the same person driving both times? Did they drive the vehicle in the same conditions? Did the car have the same tires and same fuel? Was the tire pressure identical or was there a 6psi discrepancy giving one better grip lol.

Bottom line is that the CP car makes more power, there is absolutely no solid evidence other than subjective tests that have been carried out by a myriad of individuals that are not physically or mentally capable of pulling the paddle or stepping on the peddle at the exact time simply because the circumstances were not and could not have been the exact same because we aren't robots.

Now, if there were someone like me who took both cars out, made sure that the fuel was equal and the other driver was an owner (my brother) and well versed in the proper settings and tests were conducted from the same speed with identical settings, both manual and automatic mode and the outcome was the same each and every time, a valid conclusion could be drawn as to the faster vehicle.

One person's differing experience and a magazine that you're automatically trusting on blind faith when compared to the majority of opposite outcomes is what we would call outliers. It's a poor argument and one that defies logic and reason. I too have cars in Europe and here in the US, and the fuel quality in Europe is much better, but sometimes the ecu's are calibrated for specific octanes.

1 person and 1 magazine or 10 magazines since I don't trust any of them vs the rest of the cp owning community doesn't make for an intelligent argument. You think Bmw would be dumb enough to defraud customers when VW has to pay their first (but not last) 18+ billion dollar settlement for their scandal? Come on dude, don't be silly.
Would you agree that not all M5CP makes exactly 575HP? That there's got to be variances? No manufacture is that good. And since CP is only rated 15HP higher, is it possible that some non CP makes more power than CP? M6Beast had a direct comparison on the same dyno, same day, regardless of how accurate that dyno is, it's a valid comparison.

With regarding to magazines, I don't take it on blind faith, which is why I raised it. Now, you can question how they did the test, which is fine with me, but you can't say there is zero evidence.

I believe most CPs indeed are faster (and as I have said in my earlier post, I would pick CP over non-CP), but are all CPs faster/makes more power than non-CPs? I have reasonable doubt. I would not bet my life on it.

As for your driving tests, come on, you just said nobody is a robot, so how is it your own more accurate than other's? Only you and your brother can precisely pull the paddle at the same time while no-one else can?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:23 AM   #27
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

I wouldn't bet my life on it either. But - I think BMW would have a real issue on their hands if CP owners cars were dynoing at less HP than the non CP cars. The other accoutrements are what attracted me to the CP - not the 15 hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:19 AM   #28
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:
Lets just talk logic for a minute. When magazines test cars there are several variables that from a mathematical stand point are impossible to replicate on a consistent basis and these tests are always done multiple times with different drivers and averaged within that specific limited time frame. One magazine may test a vehicle at a location where the altitude will effect air density offering less oxygen for the engine to utilize thus reducing power. If altitude isn't the issue then time of year and temperature can have a similar effect whereby cold weather offers more oxygen but tires have less grip while hot weather is better for traction but there is less oxygen available. There are other weather variables but you can use deductive reasoning on your own to figure that out. Some of the newer M cars are using Pirelli tires instead of the PSS tires, which we all know and love that have superior traction, since the elusive compound has been utilized in developing their new all season version which is why the PSS's are on back order. From a standstill those tires will have better grip.

The suspension settings and traction settings make a huge difference on the launch. Fuel is another variable that can't be ignored. Perhaps a car came from California with a full tank of 91 octane is trucked over to Florida and gets tested against a car from Florida with 93 octane. Do you see how many variables need to be accounted for? Those that work for the magazines don't know the cars inside and out like an owner does. They have limited time to experiment with everything and you can see major discrepancies between several major magazines on identical cars that claim to have similar testing procedures.

Maybe one car has 1/4 of a tank of fuel and ccb's while the other has a full tank and steel brakes. A full tanks of fuel weighs 140lbs give or take, ccb's lose another 45lbs, let's just say for arguments sake you've got a fat 6'3 whale in the driver seat with a full tank without ccb's and camera equipment in the trunk. Then we can compare the human variable. Was the same person driving both times? Did they drive the vehicle in the same conditions? Did the car have the same tires and same fuel? Was the tire pressure identical or was there a 6psi discrepancy giving one better grip lol.

Bottom line is that the CP car makes more power, there is absolutely no solid evidence other than subjective tests that have been carried out by a myriad of individuals that are not physically or mentally capable of pulling the paddle or stepping on the peddle at the exact time simply because the circumstances were not and could not have been the exact same because we aren't robots.

Now, if there were someone like me who took both cars out, made sure that the fuel was equal and the other driver was an owner (my brother) and well versed in the proper settings and tests were conducted from the same speed with identical settings, both manual and automatic mode and the outcome was the same each and every time, a valid conclusion could be drawn as to the faster vehicle.

One person's differing experience and a magazine that you're automatically trusting on blind faith when compared to the majority of opposite outcomes is what we would call outliers. It's a poor argument and one that defies logic and reason. I too have cars in Europe and here in the US, and the fuel quality in Europe is much better, but sometimes the ecu's are calibrated for specific octanes.

1 person and 1 magazine or 10 magazines since I don't trust any of them vs the rest of the cp owning community doesn't make for an intelligent argument. You think Bmw would be dumb enough to defraud customers when VW has to pay their first (but not last) 18+ billion dollar settlement for their scandal? Come on dude, don't be silly.
Would you agree that not all M5CP makes exactly 575HP? That there's got to be variances? No manufacture is that good. And since CP is only rated 15HP higher, is it possible that some non CP makes more power than CP? M6Beast had a direct comparison on the same dyno, same day, regardless of how accurate that dyno is, it's a valid comparison.

With regarding to magazines, I don't take it on blind faith, which is why I raised it. Now, you can question how they did the test, which is fine with me, but you can't say there is zero evidence.

I believe most CPs indeed are faster (and as I have said in my earlier post, I would pick CP over non-CP), but are all CPs faster/makes more power than non-CPs? I have reasonable doubt. I would not bet my life on it.

As for your driving tests, come on, you just said nobody is a robot, so how is it your own more accurate than other's? Only you and your brother can precisely pull the paddle at the same time while no-one else can?
Wrong! In what magazine test were there two vehicles side by side? From a standstill and rolling start? Single vehicle each time! Each ecu is calibrated according to that model, yet another factor that can't be overlooked! You're taking things out of context to satisfy a piss poor argument. Chassis dynos are not and have not been accurate for these cars EVER! Please stop referring to a single instance and pursuing a fallacy generalization argument you were taught to avoid in the second grade. You refer to "most" when you've given me 1, ONE example lol. Call Bmw and tell them that their several million lines of code that they upload to each engine's ECU's are subject to error since by your logic they are being entered manually
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:10 AM   #29
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong! In what magazine test were there two vehicles side by side? From a standstill and rolling start? Single vehicle each time! Each ecu is calibrated according to that model, yet another factor that can't be overlooked! You're taking things out of context to satisfy a piss poor argument. Chassis dynos are not and have not been accurate for these cars EVER! Please stop referring to a single instance and pursuing a fallacy generalization argument you were taught to avoid in the second grade. You refer to "most" when you've given me 1, ONE example lol. Call Bmw and tell them that their several million lines of code that they upload to each engine's ECU's are subject to error since by your logic they are being entered manually
I never said a magazine had them side by side, where did you get that?

You question other's credibility (both mentally and physically) and how nobody is a robot but your own test is legit? How does that make any sense?

Even with two CP side by side, same fuel load, same settings, robot driving, and whatnot, I bet one will be faster. As good as BMW is, it is not possible that they can manufacture two cars exactly the same. Engine tolerances, drivetrain losses and etc., won't be the same.

CP is only 15HP more power than non CP (on a car that already has 560HP), not 150HP more. I have reasonable doubt that all CP is 100% faster/makes more power than non CP.

I have seen your type too many times, gets upset and started to sound condescending, whatever.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      05-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #30
b5ka
Private
Rep
Drives: still debating

Seriously guys, whatever you pick, just enjoy the machine.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      05-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #31
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

Welp, guess I'm glad I paid the extra money for CP

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #32
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117
Quote:
Quote:

I never said a magazine had them side by side, where did you get that?

You question other's credibility (both mentally and physically) and how nobody is a robot but your own test is legit? How does that make any sense?

Even with two CP side by side, same fuel load, same settings, robot driving, and whatnot, I bet one will be faster. As good as BMW is, it is not possible that they can manufacture two cars exactly the same. Engine tolerances, drivetrain losses and etc., won't be the same.

CP is only 15HP more power than non CP (on a car that already has 560HP), not 150HP more. I have reasonable doubt that all CP is 100% faster/makes more power than non CP.

I have seen your type too many times, gets upset and started to sound condescending, whatever.
Again, you refuse to accept logic and reason along with a concrete statistical analysis. This is because in your own personal opinion, BMW's assembly line is pumping out car components that would have them lose their six sigma black belt rating? How can you possibly continue this hysterical argument based on one persons experience and your magazines? If this was a hand assembled engine (and even today that wouldn't matter since everything is controlled by computers and AMG likes to say "built" lol but those parts come off assembly lines to EXACT specifications) you might have something to stand on. However, saying that you refuse to accept the glorious gift of mass production the modern aged has bestowed upon us is ludicrous. By your logic there's hundreds of thousands of iPhones that shouldn't fit in their box because it would simply be impossible to have them come out identical. If anything is true regarding the power figures BMW advertises, is that 10 times out of 10 they are underrated. If anything the CP makes significantly more than 15hp. If you calculate the power to weight ratio it shouldn't pull that much more, but yet... It does!

I'm not upset in the least, can't you tell I'm enjoying this?

Oh! And last but not least. You can just give Dinan a call and they will verify that these engines are making well over 600hp, even the stock ones. Engine dynamometers are the real deal, laboratory standards.

You can find my type at your nearest law firm. We look for the FACTS and hard EVIDENCE before drawing any conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #33
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep

Comp package wheels look better too 😜
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #34
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

FACT: brevity is not your trademark

EVIDENCE: see above posts

RULING: who gives a sh__? Both cars are damn fast. If you want to pay $7k new, your $. Look at several other posts griping about auction values. What will CP get you? Not so much at Mannheim.

BTW, where do lawyers rank on the credibility index? Above or below used car sales people??? I think I'd look elsewhere for a role model on facts ... maybe physics or the sciences?
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      05-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #35
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearview
FACT: brevity is not your trademark

EVIDENCE: see above posts

RULING: who gives a sh__? Both cars are damn fast. If you want to pay $7k new, your $. Look at several other posts griping about auction values. What will CP get you? Not so much at Mannheim.

BTW, where do lawyers rank on the credibility index? Above or below used car sales people??? I think I'd look elsewhere for a role model on facts ... maybe physics or the sciences?
Please forgive my nebulous diatribe. I must have misread the original post. This entire time I foolishly went off on some tangent that intrigued me so as to forget why buying our cars used was advantageous to their horrific depreciation.

But alas if that was indeed the topic, and that was the issue at hand, then why are you the only one who has brought it to attention? Perhaps a concise individual like yourself should be more cautious when reading. Lawyers may not have the best reputations, but the practice does force you to read between the lines, well in your case, line. Maybe you selected the wrong thread?

Buying new or used is relevant to your personal financial position. Personally, I'm not interested in anyone braking in the car except for myself. Others would like to avoid that massive hit and I don't blame them, but it doesn't sit well with me not knowing the full history of the vehicle.

Both cars are fantastic, but going back to the ORIGINAL topic, the CP is well worth the extra bucks!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #36
Rearview
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

You are forgiven; anybody can make a mistake.

BTW, you should break-in a car although you could brake in a car. ; )
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #37
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearview
You are forgiven; anybody can make a mistake.

BTW, you should break-in a car although you could brake in a car. ; )
Touché!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:05 AM   #38
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't stop now - CP car is faster 😝
Appreciate 0