M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

08-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Last minute ED questions

Gents:

So I leave in a week to go pick up... still have a couple unresolved questions I think you all might be able to help answer.

1.) iPhone/iPad -- whats the best way to use these there? We will have 4 x iPhone 5 (2 ATT/2Verizon) and a couple of iPads. I thought that the Verizon ones wont work there, being CDMA devices. As for ATT ones (GSM), should I pay ATT ~$200 for the one month minimum of Data and talk, just so I can keep my number live? Is it easier/better to get a local sim card? I expect I will use minimal talk minutes and about 2GB of data... I would love to be able to have all of my parties able to talk to each other in case of split up while sightseeing, even if we all have throwaway german numbers. For the iPad, I'm just looking for data for maps, trip advisor, forums , google, etc.

2.) For those who did nurburgring, where did you station your guests who aren't going to ride with you on the laps? Ideally, I would like to have someone in position to take some cool pics. I also know sometimes people get lucky and there are photogs out taking pics that you can find online... any way to get guaranteed photos? Has anyone done the ring with a ride along driver in your car, talking you through the track? -- watching races on tv, laps on youtube, and playing GT5 just isn't cutting it I think.

3.) I plan on taking quite a few bits of electronics between phones, ipads, cameras, go pros, laptop, etc. Any problems with power or charging as you traveled? Ive got more than a few converter/adapters, and the car has quite a few USB ports, so I think I will be fine...

4.) If there was one thing you wished you would have brought on your ED what was it?

5.) If there was one thing you wish you would have known before your ED, what is it?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers... I'll probably crosspost this over on bimmerfest, but wanted to get the straight dope from you all here as well.
      08-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
drewmisha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 4.8 ;2014 CP m5; 2016

I'm taking delivery of the m5 on 9/2.
I used the AT&T data plan in Spain & Germany last month. Signed up for the $120 plan for 800mb. Used only 350mb after 2 weeks. Talked to ATT afterwards and only paid 52 bucks. They were able to prorate it. If one of your phones domestic plan includes tethering on AT&T, you may be able to pay the international plan on it and tether off of it with your other devices. I used Skype and facetalk to contact family back home. If you have the Europe plugs, you're good to go. No need for converters as all electronic device power supplies have it built in. Make sure it's 120-240 volts. Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
1) Make sure you buy enough pre-purchased AT&T international data roaming in advance of your trip. I bought 800mb for my iPhone 5. Nobody else in my family had data roaming - they just used wifi and switched of data roaming. For the iPad I bought prepaid microsims with 1 month of unlimited data for Germany and Austria from T-Mobile. Germany and Austria requires separate micro-sims. This was to use iPad in the car and also the iPad can provide tethering to the other phones using these microsims so your family has connectivity to their phones in the car. In hotels there was usually free wifi.

3) These devices are all dual voltage. Just take a Euro plug adapter. You can buy 6 for $12 on Amazon.

4) I brought it with me but it is the iPhone adapter. The armrest USB port is used for the European nav maps so if you want to play music from your iPhone you need to use the snap-in adapter. Also I didn't take a dashcam last time. I will this year. I bought a Drift HD Ghost a few months ago. Its the best one because it has a remote control and also built-in screen so you know what you are recording. I think it is the best one out there - I tested about 3 or 4. Also bring spare batteries. I carry 3 and the Ghost has the longest battery life of all of them.

5) Don't underestimate the amount of roadworks and traffic. Lots of roadworks due to stimulus spending in Germany and Austria. This prevented me from achieving estimated drive times in a number of cases.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 08-30-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
5) Don't underestimate the amount of roadworks and traffic. Lots of roadworks due to stimulus spending in Germany and Austria. This prevented me from achieving estimated drive times in a number of cases.
My number one fear... my stops and distances are non-negotiable at this point... I have alternate routes for each leg, and my passengers have been briefed on what they are in for. We'll see how it goes and whether or not they will be in for the next trip.
      08-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
canfly44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot
Quote:
My number one fear... my stops and distances are non-negotiable at this point... I have alternate routes for each leg, and my passengers have been briefed on what they are in for. We'll see how it goes and whether or not they will be in for the next trip.
We tried to avoid the German autobahns also, on some of them there was construction every 10 miles with a speed down to 80 kph. The left lanes were very narrow and you could not go much faster than 80. There could be a web site with all the construction mapped out, the construction seemed to be more on the main autobahns . Switzerland had cyclists all over the passes, some were in races and they think they own the road, there could be a better time of the day to avoid them and there also could be a web site listing races.

Do you need a navigator- co pilot? I would love to go back tomorrow.

You are going to have lots of fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by canfly44 View Post
There could be a web site with all the construction mapped out, the construction seemed to be more on the main autobahns .
Here it is:

http://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/verkehr/

Awesome site with lots of traffic information, in german though..

Keep in mind, summer is construction season on the Autobahn. The other seasons have less construction sites but heavier traffic.

Last edited by EdM5; 08-31-2013 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
canfly44
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Gents:

So I leave in a week to go pick up... still have a couple unresolved questions I think you all might be able to help answer.

1.) iPhone/iPad -- whats the best way to use these there? We will have 4 x iPhone 5 (2 ATT/2Verizon) and a couple of iPads. I thought that the Verizon ones wont work there, being CDMA devices. As for ATT ones (GSM), should I pay ATT ~$200 for the one month minimum of Data and talk, just so I can keep my number live? Is it easier/better to get a local sim card? I expect I will use minimal talk minutes and about 2GB of data... I would love to be able to have all of my parties able to talk to each other in case of split up while sightseeing, even if we all have throwaway german numbers. For the iPad, I'm just looking for data for maps, trip advisor, forums , google, etc.

2.) For those who did nurburgring, where did you station your guests who aren't going to ride with you on the laps? Ideally, I would like to have someone in position to take some cool pics. I also know sometimes people get lucky and there are photogs out taking pics that you can find online... any way to get guaranteed photos? Has anyone done the ring with a ride along driver in your car, talking you through the track? -- watching races on tv, laps on youtube, and playing GT5 just isn't cutting it I think.

3.) I plan on taking quite a few bits of electronics between phones, ipads, cameras, go pros, laptop, etc. Any problems with power or charging as you traveled? Ive got more than a few converter/adapters, and the car has quite a few USB ports, so I think I will be fine...

4.) If there was one thing you wished you would have brought on your ED what was it?

5.) If there was one thing you wish you would have known before your ED, what is it?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers... I'll probably crosspost this over on bimmerfest, but wanted to get the straight dope from you all here as well.
And one more thing that I didn't know, was the heads up display doesn't work with polarized sun glasses but you properly all ready knew that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canfly44 View Post
And one more thing that I didn't know, was the heads up display doesn't work with polarized sun glasses but you properly all ready knew that.
I did, but thanks.. same issue on my Wife's 3-series.
      08-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
4) I brought it with me but it is the iPhone adapter. The armrest USB port is used for the European nav maps so if you want to play music from your iPhone you need to use the snap-in adapter.

Been trying to confirm this... dont really need the snap-in otherwise.. after buying one for a 3 and one for a 4, I dont want to waste anymore money one for a iphone 5 since it will inevitably become obsolete.

I already have a spare ipod and ipod cables ready to take.

Some have said the Euro maps come preloaded so no thumb drive, and I think someone said their map thumbdrive actually went in the glovebox port.
      08-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
4) I brought it with me but it is the iPhone adapter. The armrest USB port is used for the European nav maps so if you want to play music from your iPhone you need to use the snap-in adapter.

Been trying to confirm this... dont really need the snap-in otherwise.. after buying one for a 3 and one for a 4, I dont want to waste anymore money one for a iphone 5 since it will inevitably become obsolete.

I already have a spare ipod and ipod cables ready to take.

Some have said the Euro maps come preloaded so no thumb drive, and I think someone said their map thumbdrive actually went in the glovebox port.
During my Oct 11 ED trip, the maps were preloaded onto the HD and the ports were free.

During my Sept 12 ED trip, the maps were on a USB stick in the armrest USB port, and there was no way to play iOS music other than the dock or sacrificing the maps.

Also I think the 13 F10 nixed the USB in the glovebox which the 12 F10 had; which is why the maps were on the USB on the armrest.

There are other options:
- music over bluetooth
- burn MP3s onto a CD or DVD
- buy a USB Hub.

I'm taking my dock with me. The iphone 5S is the same factor which is why I bought the dock back in March.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
canfly44
Enlisted Member
Rep

My one had USB stick in armrest for maps and the bluetooth streamed music from ipads or iphone with no problems ( you can now have two bluetooth devices connected at the same time)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

I really wanted to avoid bluetooth streaming of music.. I want to be able to use my phone for other stuff, and Im not convinced of the quality. So with a little trial and error, my wife's '13 335i, and one of these, I think I found out my best solution. Since the M5 has 20GB of the 200GB HD set aside for music, I will just download 20GB of music right into the car via the USB port, then put the maps drive back in while at the Welt.... looks to be about 1500 songs for me.

The Cons are no album art, no playlists, and no ipod like sorting...

The good is no bluetooth required, and when you scroll on the wheel you can see the song names, vs just the forward/back arrows.

My wife is still going to take her 80 GB iPod with a male to male headphone cable and run it off of batter on the aux input for any other things she might want to listen to...
      09-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
hursonka
Rep
Drives: bmw m5

Which MiFI plan did you choose? Are you having the MiFi device delivered to your hotel in Munich or to your home prior to leaving?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hursonka View Post
Which MiFI plan did you choose? Are you having the MiFi device delivered to your hotel in Munich or to your home prior to leaving?
Neither at this point... They can't get me the global one to my house in the states in time (and its too expensive), and they can't give me a straight cost on shipping the eu only one to my Munich hotel. I'm just going to get the sim only and put it in my iPad... I just ended up paying AT&T for their plans for data and phone service for my iPhone.
      09-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hursonka View Post
Neither at this point... They can't get me the global one to my house in the states in time (and its too expensive), and they can't give me a straight cost on shipping the eu only one to my Munich hotel. I'm just going to get the sim only and put it in my iPad... I just ended up paying AT&T for their plans for data and phone service for my iPhone.
Sure. If there are any countries in which you spend meaningful time, it may make sense to buy a prepaid microsim locally.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

I travel to Europe quite a bit and have collected a bag of SIM cards as roaming across countries is a pain (data/voice) . However Vodafone has recently introduced some reasonable roaming offers for pre-paid in Europe.
To get a quick start you can buy a "Blue" card at the Munich airport (just outside arrivals next to the Starbucks) for 20 Euro which gives you 1GB of data and you can charge voice in 10 Euro increments.
I usually use a 2nd phone with a european SIM card and then tether the other devices to it , worked well so far.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Sure. If there are any countries in which you spend meaningful time, it may make sense to buy a prepaid microsim locally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
I travel to Europe quite a bit and have collected a bag of SIM cards as roaming across countries is a pain (data/voice) . However Vodafone has recently introduced some reasonable roaming offers for pre-paid in Europe.
To get a quick start you can buy a "Blue" card at the Munich airport (just outside arrivals next to the Starbucks) for 20 Euro which gives you 1GB of data and you can charge voice in 10 Euro increments.
I usually use a 2nd phone with a european SIM card and then tether the other devices to it , worked well so far.
Thanks for the inputs, fellas. I am going to travel through 9 countries in 12 days... I figure with the sim i got, I can use the iPad as a tethering hotspot for the other devices if need be.

I may get a German only data card since it will be the country I will spend the most time in.

I wish I knew about the vodaphone deal.. I surfed their German and UK websites (along with T-Mobile/O2/Orange) to try and find a roaming prepaid sim I could purchase on the economy, but either my I missed it or the language barrier got to me.

I am flying in and out of Frankfurt, and have some time before my train to Munich... I will explore the mobile shops there and pay it forward if I find something that will work... We still have 3 other iPhones that are currently going to be wifi only.

I do understand though that the EU is going to some new regulation on max roaming charges, etc... maybe slowly as they federate it will get better there.
      09-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Have a great trip. We are looking forward to seeing the pics!

Let me know how it works out with your DATA plans =). I am following in one month.

JS

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Thanks for the inputs, fellas. I am going to travel through 9 countries in 12 days... I figure with the sim i got, I can use the iPad as a tethering hotspot for the other devices if need be.

I may get a German only data card since it will be the country I will spend the most time in.

I wish I knew about the vodaphone deal.. I surfed their German and UK websites (along with T-Mobile/O2/Orange) to try and find a roaming prepaid sim I could purchase on the economy, but either my I missed it or the language barrier got to me.

I am flying in and out of Frankfurt, and have some time before my train to Munich... I will explore the mobile shops there and pay it forward if I find something that will work... We still have 3 other iPhones that are currently going to be wifi only.

I do understand though that the EU is going to some new regulation on max roaming charges, etc... maybe slowly as they federate it will get better there.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:

B-1, I used iphonetrip (now keepgo) last year. Put the Europe SIM in an old unlocked iPhone. Worked great. Sure, didn't have a local mobile # but in reality didn't need one, as I had my US # pointed to Google Voice, which would transcribe my calls to an email and I could pick them up over email. With the time difference it worked out great. Used Skype for all my outbound calls. Like you, we had one other phone and one iPad setup in airplane mode. Have fun. Can't wait to see pics.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

[QUOTE=M54ccibo;14604624]B-1, I used iphonetrip (now keepgo) last year. Put the Europe SIM in an old unlocked iPhone. Worked great. Sure, didn't have a local mobile # but in reality didn't need one, as I had my US # pointed to Google Voice, which would transcribe my calls to an email and I could pick them up over email. QUOTE]

Been a google voice user since Beta... love it, a great thing to have when you move as often as I do. I wonder if you could have it pointed to a Euro number and pick up the charges via google?

Dont worry there will be plenty of pics.. thought about lugging my DSLR, lenses and tripod, but went another direction and just picked up this little badboy: Sony RX100 II
      09-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

[QUOTE=B-1 Pilot;14605261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
B-1, I used iphonetrip (now keepgo) last year. Put the Europe SIM in an old unlocked iPhone. Worked great. Sure, didn't have a local mobile # but in reality didn't need one, as I had my US # pointed to Google Voice, which would transcribe my calls to an email and I could pick them up over email. QUOTE]

Been a google voice user since Beta... love it, a great thing to have when you move as often as I do. I wonder if you could have it pointed to a Euro number and pick up the charges via google?

Dont worry there will be plenty of pics.. thought about lugging my DSLR, lenses and tripod, but went another direction and just picked up this little badboy: Sony RX100 II
Nice...I did the same, dumped the DSLR and took a Fuji X100.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

[QUOTE=M54ccibo;14606176]
Quote:

Nice...I did the same, dumped the DSLR and took a Fuji X100.
This was one thing I wished I never brought. The DSLR. It was heavy and hard to protect in congested areas.