Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #67
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
Yep absolutely, the average housewife can't drive to save their life, I don't care for being politically correct, it's the truth.
It's obvious you've got all sensitive about my comment re RWD being for real men. I think your response is a little confrontational and shows a degree of immaturity.

We are not discussing purebred race cars / racing series. I'm talking about road cars. If you want to go off topic, the fastest racing series (Formula 1) uses a mid engine RWD setup.
I didnt realize AWD vs RWD was about an average housewife trying to save her life. The truth by who? You can't really generalize the entire population and make immature comments about what makes people the real men and what doesn't. Well, you actually can, but that definitely portrays you as an immature douche.
      12-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #68
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I could very much be wrong, and maybe this is a U.S. thing, since the cars here are a good amount cheaper. But I would guess the typical person getting an M5 over a 550i is someone that just always wants the top of the line car, or doing it for a status symbol. I am doubting the typical buyer is driving the car anywhere near it's potential.

For those buyers, the numbers on paper matter most, instead of how it really performs. They care that one car can go .1 seconds faster to 60 than the other, even though they would never see that benefit in their entire ownership. They are also going to want the same bells and whistles the standard luxury cars are going to have.

So if BMW really is targeting those customers, the easiest way to make the car faster to 60 on paper without having to take away any bells and whistles, is by adding AWD.

I would go as far as saying that 85% of M5 owners in the U.S. have no clue what their car actually weighs.
No I think you're right friend. It's just sad that BMW M-division are now making cars for the 85% of m5 owners who don't have a damn clue about cars!!!

M5s are losing their heritage/identity with each generation. First we lost the naturally aspirated V8 / V10 to the tree huggers and now RWD is being replaced by AWD to accommodate for inexperienced drivers who want to be able to drive fast without the risk of crashing.

Last edited by IshR; 12-09-2015 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #69
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I didnt realize AWD vs RWD was about an average housewife trying to save her life. The truth by who? You can't really generalize the entire population and make immature comments about what makes people the real men and what doesn't. Well, you actually can, but that definitely portrays you as an immature douche.
Ok mate, you're obviously insecure and require the assistance of AWD. I'm not going to lower myself to name calling. Let's just agree to disagree.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #70
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
Ok mate, you're obviously insecure and require the assistance of AWD. I'm not going to lower myself to name calling. Let's just agree to disagree.
Yes, I will see you at the track.
      12-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #71
Mad Nike
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I think it all comes down to the point on how many cars they will be able to sell, BMW have noticed that after Merc went to AWD versions of their AMGs their sales went up and most of those AMGs were bought with AWD. It's simple mathematic, BMW is a business as much as any other car production company, so first of all it's all about money. And a question of whether they will make RWD or an option to switch from AWD to RWD depends on how much money will they have to spend and how much they could possibly earn. I think whatever BMW is gonna do to the upcoming M5 it should rock, otherwise it's gonna be pretty hard to compete with Merc, since it's getting on a totally new level.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #72
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Nike View Post
...otherwise it's gonna be pretty hard to compete with Merc, since it's getting on a totally new level.
Exactly.

Appreciate 0