01-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #45
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Atleast someone agrees.

The only car I ever got rid of and missed after upgrading was my E60 M5. I wish I kept it.

The V10 is incredible, and will never be in another BMW again.

The SMG is controversial, and I like DCT better for everyday driving.. but the SMG III was so much fun. S8 shifts.. best thing ever. If you didn't own one, then you have no idea.
You had an amazing E60 i remember the 2010, the flat color correct?

Everyday driving, speed, consistency, the DCT hands down! But for driving pleasure SMG!!
The S85 V10 engine has 10 engine awards under its belt, im not even sure that the F10 M5 even has one.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #46
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Since I'm getting a second parking space soon, I was down at The Collection (Jaguar, Porsche, Audi, McLaren, Aston, Ferrari, Maserati dealership) looking at the F-Type and the 911S. I was having a chat with the Jag dealer and he was talking about this article and how the F type is viewed as a future classic. I told him they said the same about my M5 but it doesn't seem to reduce near term depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #47
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

I've driven an E60 M5, 6MT manual version, couple years ago (from Boston to New Jersey)

It still remains one of my best BMW experiences ever! (that V10 engine with that 'sweet' manual gearbox).

Can't forget it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #48
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
Quote:
Atleast someone agrees.

The only car I ever got rid of and missed after upgrading was my E60 M5. I wish I kept it.

The V10 is incredible, and will never be in another BMW again.

The SMG is controversial, and I like DCT better for everyday driving.. but the SMG III was so much fun. S8 shifts.. best thing ever. If you didn't own one, then you have no idea.

Everyday driving, speed, consistency, the DCT hands down! But for driving pleasure SMG!!
The S85 V10 engine has 10 engine awards under its belt, im not even sure that the F10 M5 even has one.
Agreed.

Yep, frozen grey on platinum. Should of kept it!! Some lucky SOB in north Florida has it now.
      01-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #49
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Jelly M3
I've driven an E60 M5, 6MT manual version, couple years ago (from Boston to New Jersey)

It still remains one of my best BMW experiences ever! (that V10 engine with that 'sweet' manual gearbox).

Can't forget it.
Exactly "manual gearbox".

That's the one thing that pisses me off about the DCT. It's not "as manual" as the SMG. Instead they made it "more automatic".

Don't you just want to mash the pedal, get the revs up and floor it (where SMG drops clutch at high rpm)?! I WISH.
      01-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #50
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
F10? I'm surprised it wasn't E60 M5.
There are so many reasons as to why not. Starting with there is no comparison. The E39 has more of a chance than the E60. IMO the E60 was so out of place.
      01-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #51
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Agreed.

Yep, frozen grey on platinum. Should of kept it!! Some lucky SOB in north Florida has it now.
O that was a beauty, and was really a special version of the last examples!

Quote:
Exactly "manual gearbox".

That's the one thing that pisses me off about the DCT. It's not "as manual" as the SMG. Instead they made it "more automatic".

Don't you just want to mash the pedal, get the revs up and floor it (where SMG drops clutch at high rpm)?! I WISH.
The DCT is so simple and easy to make go fast, which makes it a great tool. The F10 in general i feel was made to appeal to a mass audience, the DCT fits that bill while also shifting incredibly fast.
The SMG fun factor blows the DCT out of the water, and most guys who hate the SMG, are auto guys, who either dont like manual, and or dont understand the concept of true manual driving.

The DCT F10 not having the Mash gas pedal, build revs and clutch drop feature is a real let down... SMG really was more fun.. Mashing the pedal on a E60 M5 from a standstill with the S85 V10 with exhaust was pure driving heaven.
      01-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #52
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Since I'm getting a second parking space soon, I was down at The Collection (Jaguar, Porsche, Audi, McLaren, Aston, Ferrari, Maserati dealership) looking at the F-Type and the 911S. I was having a chat with the Jag dealer and he was talking about this article and how the F type is viewed as a future classic. I told him they said the same about my M5 but it doesn't seem to reduce near term depreciation.
So, is it the Jag the new mate of your frozen grey 14'?

Btw, every car is a collectible when a dealer tries to sell it and then when it goes back as a trade, they have a million reasons to price the trade well below market value. I almost enjoy see them slapping their own faces especially going back for something else in very few months.

Personally I don't care if the F10 M5 will be a future classic or not, all I know is that I am really enjoying using it everyday.
      01-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #53
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Any car Top Gear said was the "best car in world" overall today is likely to retain some future interest and therefore value.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #54
Titan9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e39 and e60 M5

I own an e39 and e60. The e39 M5 is one the last examples of a purist BMW M car...other being the e46 M3. It's a driver's car, if you are looking for a car that has a soul, it has it. Distinguished is what best describes the e39. Classic BMW lines, interior build quality and the S62 engine mated to a 6spd transmission is pure joy. True enthusiast know exactly what this vehicle is and it is why some low mileage examples are commanding $60K. I just retired mine, it has 62,xxx on the odo and is driven one day out of the week. Can you guess why?

I just received my e60 a week ago, I can't really comment too much just yet on the car because I am just getting to know the vehicle. although, one thing i will say is that it's more connected to the road than my friends F10 M5. The e60 also has an engine with true racing heritage. Correct me if i am wrong, but I do not think you can say the same for the F10 M5.

One thing I would like to know is how many e60 naysayers actually have owned the car or have spent quality seat time behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #55
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post

Line up an E60 M5 against an F10 M5 and see if the 10 engine awards help it in a race. I have an E92 M3 and that car won every comparo that it was in (even against the 911 and the GTR) but I would much rather drive my F10 M5. I shopped Tesla before I bought my M5 and Tesla has won all kinds of awards but I picked the M5 because it drove better. It's about the personal driving experience, not the awards.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #56
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
So, is it the Jag the new mate of your frozen grey 14'?

Btw, every car is a collectible when a dealer tries to sell it and then when it goes back as a trade, they have a million reasons to price the trade well below market value. I almost enjoy see them slapping their own faces especially going back for something else in very few months.

Personally I don't care if the F10 M5 will be a future classic or not, all I know is that I am really enjoying using it everyday.
Agree. Impossible to predict collectability and besides I keep my cars 1-2 years so the entire notion is irrelevant to me. I care about 24 month resale value.

I like the Jag and I have my eye on the new Corvette Z06. But my primary interest right now is the 911 C4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #57
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

The E60 is just not a good looking car.
Appreciate 0