BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

opinion on rev matching in MT M5

I am a die-hard MT guy and applaud bmw's commitment to letting the US market keep their MTs. however I've been mulling this minute difference over since doing porsche school last week...

been trying to rationalize this for a little while but can't make full sense of this.

rev matching occurs in the bmws (and I assume the new m3/4 as well) in comfort and sport throttle but not sport plus. now I hardly drive around in sport plus unless at the track because I feel the throttle to be too sensitive for everyday driving.

however in the porsches, rev matching occurs only in sport plus. certainly heel toe shifting is an ancient and dying art but when attempting to drive as fast as possible wouldn't you want rev matching to go with most sensitive throttle?
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Need4Speed_Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5, F10 M5, F80 M3

I currently have a 991 and the auto rev-match is awesome but honestly it does take a lot away from the experience. I looked at an F10 M5 in 6mt before I bought the 991 (Was very very difficult to find one on the dealer lot) and it just did not feel right. The manual in the F10 was super smooth and did not feel sporty at all. Please keep in mind I am a 100% die hard 6mt driver. I personally would make sure you drive an F10 with a manual before buying one. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I think it's because BMW recognizes that people who drive manual want some elevated level of involvement in the sportier settings. In day to day situations, you can drive lazily and mindlessly in comfort mode while the car blips the throttle for you, keeping yourself and your passengers riding smoothly. But when you get into sport plus, the car knows you mean business, and you subsequently have to nail your downshifts/heel toes on your own. More rewarding, even though the car probably does it better for you anyways
Appreciate 0