BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
mwnbr
Mark
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Faulty Door Lock / Comfort Access?

I've recently been having some problems with the locking and unlocking of my car (F10 M5), and although I've read another similar thread, having played around with a number of fuses, perhaps my problem isn't the same.

Basically my car has been having intermittent problems with the remote locking and unlocking. It seems to have a mind of its own! I can approach the car with my key in my hand and the car decides to unlock itself, even when not pressing the remote button or pulling the handle (comfort access). Sometimes I can approach the car, try to unlock it with the key fob, and it won't open. There's times when I lock the car with the fob, and immediately it unlocks itself. There's even times when the car wont unlock via the fob or through comfort.

I'm sure all of this malfunctioning is the reason why I'm getting warnings on my dash that the battery is draining while stationery!

I've looked at similar posts, and it's been suggested that this lot could all be down to the comfort access, and through pulling Fuse 36 this will cut out the comfort access, therefore stopping the problematic element and stop draining the battery. On my car Fuse 36 is for washer fluid, so I've pulled all fuses part from 2 and 8 (difficult to access), and have not been able to isolate the comfort access.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas what this erratic locking, not locking, battery draining issue is? ultimately I might need to take the car to BMW to rectify, however if the issue may just be the simple replacement of a fuse, I don't look forward to their charging me a couple hundred pounds for their troubles.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by mwnbr; 02-28-2018 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
bquicksilver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 - Alpine White CP

I did (do) on my X5 50i (2011). When purchased, it had battery issues and the driver handle was hot to the touch. I replaced the handle with a used one and the battery issue went away, but CA only works with hatch and ignition. I have had discussions with BMW and one advisor stated that it's almost certainly still a handle. I guess they short out internally.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Usually when guys have had issues with their comfort access, it's been a faulty door handle. Good luck
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
xander_g964.00
      02-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

i had this issues on my driver door and dealer replaced the door handle and everything worked fine after that.
Appreciate 1
xander_g964.00
      02-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

same here. they replaced the door handle under warranty and all good after that
Appreciate 1
xander_g964.00
      03-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
Maverick997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Saphire Metalic

Mine has started to lock me in and I have to use the central unlock button to get out. SA said its the door lock actuator going out but I also have intermittent touch to lock issues...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:33 AM   #7
mwnbr
Mark
Rep

Thanks for the responses. Curious that a few of you suggest it could be the door handle in need of replacement. I'd not seen this suggested on any other similar related topics elsewhere.

I don'k know if my original post mislead anyone. There are times when I approach the car and it's fine, and then upon pulling the handle the car will unlock; the comfort access works. Instead the whole issue seems to be due to the proximity of the car fob to the car. There's also times when the car has been locked by the fob, and I can hear continuous noises from the car of locking sounds, eventhough the car is locked. I'm sure it's this that might be draining the battery.

Looks like I need to book the car in with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

The reason why many respondents have mentioned the door handle being at fault is because it's the handle that instigates the lock/unlock request (assuming you're not pushing the key fob buttons). When you touch the lock or unlock part of the door handle, the car then sends a message to the fob looking for a correct response. If the fob is not found, you can neither lock or unlock using the door handle.

So the handle is probably triggering frequently by itself, but you can only notice it when your fob is in range. You can play with this by taking the fob out of range, covering with tin foil (I read this but haven't tried it to see if it works), or simply taking the battery out of it. You may have been thinking that its the fob buttons that are stuck, which is possible, but unlikely, because this would kill the fob battery pretty quickly. If you have a second fob, you should see the same spontaneous lock/unlock triggering with both fobs if the door handle is at fault.

The handles are a little twitchy. I sometimes see lock or unlock trigger while I am rinsing the car door while washing the car. I leave the fob in the car or take it into the house instead of leaving it nearby in the garage to avoid this happening.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
It was a door handle...wasn't it....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
YanoM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual Nardo M5

OP, I'm having the same issue. The M5 will unlock automatically as I approach the car. It only does this when I approach the driver side door. Once I step out of the car even when the car is unlocked, I still hear the sound of the car trying to keep unlocking. I also get the message battery is low.

It all started awhile ago when my driver door comfort access stopped working by putting my hand in the sensor area. I haven't had it checked yet. Please keep us posted to what was the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #11
mwnbr
Mark
Rep

Well I've not yet had the visit to the service centre for diagnosis and repair. How and why I don't know but a couple of days after fuse removal and replacement the car has started behaving itself. There's been no new parts or reprogramming, and even the fuse replacement was with the same fuses. So could the problem have been a loose fuse? Who knows. But by identifying the fuses responsible for door locking systems, removal and replacement, that so far appears to have cured the problem. It's now been two weeks prob;em free so hopefully it remains that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #12
YanoM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual Nardo M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnbr View Post
Well I've not yet had the visit to the service centre for diagnosis and repair. How and why I don't know but a couple of days after fuse removal and replacement the car has started behaving itself. There's been no new parts or reprogramming, and even the fuse replacement was with the same fuses. So could the problem have been a loose fuse? Who knows. But by identifying the fuses responsible for door locking systems, removal and replacement, that so far appears to have cured the problem. It's now been two weeks prob;em free so hopefully it remains that way.
What fuses should I exam?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #13
Mescapon
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnbr View Post
I've recently been having some problems with the locking and unlocking of my car (F10 M5), and although I've read another similar thread, having played around with a number of fuses, perhaps my problem isn't the same.

Basically my car has been having intermittent problems with the remote locking and unlocking. It seems to have a mind of its own! I can approach the car with my key in my hand and the car decides to unlock itself, even when not pressing the remote button or pulling the handle (comfort access). Sometimes I can approach the car, try to unlock it with the key fob, and it won't open. There's times when I lock the car with the fob, and immediately it unlocks itself. There's even times when the car wont unlock via the fob or through comfort.

I'm sure all of this malfunctioning is the reason why I'm getting warnings on my dash that the battery is draining while stationery!

I've looked at similar posts, and it's been suggested that this lot could all be down to the comfort access, and through pulling Fuse 36 this will cut out the comfort access, therefore stopping the problematic element and stop draining the battery. On my car Fuse 36 is for washer fluid, so I've pulled all fuses part from 2 and 8 (difficult to access), and have not been able to isolate the comfort access.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas what this erratic locking, not locking, battery draining issue is? ultimately I might need to take the car to BMW to rectify, however if the issue may just be the simple replacement of a fuse, I don't look forward to their charging me a couple hundred pounds for their troubles.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
I have the exact same issue and locking symptoms on my F10 driver side comfort access but I am also yet to take it in for any sort of repair.

Perhaps I will try unplugging and plugging all fuses back to see if this also works for me

Can you please advise if the issue re-occurred again?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #14
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
The easy way to diagnose is to remove the suspected door handle. There will be two plugs. The larger plug is the one you'll disconnect. Now put the handle back in. If the car quits acting crazy....you've found your door handle issue.
I left my back R door handle unplugged for a month while waiting for a new handle. If you never unlock the door from there you could technically just leave it like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
Nemtor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d

CA,, i have got the same problem but its not only 1 handle.. its 3 handles how come they all are faulty then? i unplugged 2 handles and another one seems to start playing up...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #16
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemtor View Post
CA,, i have got the same problem but its not only 1 handle.. its 3 handles how come they all are faulty then? i unplugged 2 handles and another one seems to start playing up...
If it's still doing this with 3 handles 'disconnected'....it's probably not the handles in your case......unless it's the 4th handle. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemtor View Post
Sounds like a wiring or module fault. I think you need to go to a shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

My car has began doing exactly the things described by the OP here. It began with driver's door not working to lock the car on comfort access. Then the unlock would only work if I physically pulled the handle forward then released and pulled it again (first pull unlocked, second pull actually allowed door to open). On Friday I experienced the continuous motor noise which sounds ded like it was coming from divers rear door. Saturday the car wouldn't unlock with comfort access or fob and I had to use the key (how quaint). Then later that day the car unlocked itself as I approached with the key in my hand but I didn't depress any buttons. I will show this thread to my dealer and will post my issue once it's resolved.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #19
gbrawsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran coupe

hey new to the forums, just picked up an m6 GC. Has a similar issue. Audiable unlocking noise from the fuel filler flap. Comfort access works when opening the handle most of the time, just locking it on the sensor is very intermittant. Also showing warning for battery discharge when stationary, also have the tyre pressure sensor warning saying faulty, however shop says there are no readings being taken. Checked battery and it's still got 12A left - any other possible causes other than a singular handle?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #20
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep

A good shop will know how to use ista+ / Rheingold to check for handle triggers. You can do this at home as well if you took up. The battery is probably running down from all the triggers and the car not going to sleep. Think you need to find a better shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #21
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Slightly off the subject but in the UK I think comfort access on an M5 is a bad idea.The crim with lap top and magnetic plate will have your motor open and be away with your pride and joy if you don't put foil around your opener(s) at night or place them in a metal box.Anyway good luck with the fixing,seems the door handle is the main 'suspect'...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #22
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

My driver's door handle was replaced under warranty. Dealer also replaced the battery without question as the stored fault codes showed the battery had discharged below it's operating minimum on multiple occasions. Comfort access is now working perfectly. I have had 2 further battery discharge warnings though which I will keep an eye on.
Appreciate 0