BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Heyitsben5
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

Extending Warranty Purchase

Hello Everyone

New to the m5 forum but a current BMW owner. I am in the process of trying to purchase a used m5 (14-16). The cars I have been looking at are all still under factory warranty and being sold by BMW dealers. I am looking though to extend the factory warranty. I have spoken to two dealers so far about this and both of them will not sell me a BMW extended warranty and instead some other third party. For my current BMW I was just able to purchase the extended warranty before my factory ran out. Am I missing something here? Do I have to purchase CPO to obtain an official BMW warranty? Thanks in advance everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsben5 View Post
Hello Everyone

New to the m5 forum but a current BMW owner. I am in the process of trying to purchase a used m5 (14-16). The cars I have been looking at are all still under factory warranty and being sold by BMW dealers. I am looking though to extend the factory warranty. I have spoken to two dealers so far about this and both of them will not sell me a BMW extended warranty and instead some other third party. For my current BMW I was just able to purchase the extended warranty before my factory ran out. Am I missing something here? Do I have to purchase CPO to obtain an official BMW warranty? Thanks in advance everyone.
Get the third party, BMW warranty will be very expensive and only extend another year or so. Call fidelity as long as you are under the factory warranty he can give you coverage. I bought my extended warranty through my local bmw dealerships third party, it's an exclusionary policy so basically covers everything minus wear and tear items. GL!
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I bought a used M6 and was able to extend my warranty through BMW. They offer several plans (Gold and platinum) and 1/20k or 2/50k terms. I bought from a maryland dealer that gave me a $250 discount, plus no sales tax in maryland on extended warranties.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Something doesn't sound right here. Either your perception of what the dealer told you was not correct or the dealer was not correct. Did you actually provide a VIN to them so they can run the quotes? That's the first step. Did you discuss exact original/CPO/extended warranty start and stop dates? That's the 2nd step to clarify WTF is actually going on here.

If your used M5 is currently under existing factory warranty and had a record of correctly performed break-in service, then ANY BMW dealership should be able to sell you a BMW extended warranty.

Sure, a dealer can peddle both 3rd party and BMW branded warranties, but if I were BMWNA, I'll be pissed to find out my franchise was promoting 3rd parties over the company's product.

That said, if your car is not under original factory warranty, AND less than 1 year has passed since the expiration, you can STILL buy a BMW branded extended warranty albeit at higher prices and slightly less menu items to choose from. So inquire about this as well.

There could be a miscommunication such that the dealers were indeed selling CPO cars and construed your inquiry that you wanted to buy MORE warranty AFTER the CPO expiry. In that case, I believe only 3rd party warranties are available as BMW branded warranties cannot be sold more than 1 year after original factory warranty expiry date.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 11-27-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0