M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
celicatoe46m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 & E46 M3

Shippig car from Canada to Japan. Questions... Euro vs USA/Canada..

So I've started the process to ship the car from Canada to Japan, but now I'm having some issues.

I've got a '12, and I'm needing amber euro tail lights. Is this is a swap if I can buy the right part? Any coding needed?

The next issue is the headlights. I assume its about the blinding people issue. Is it possible to adjust the lights so driver side is lower, and passenger is higher?

Or do I have to buy new headlights completely?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Hmm.........I have a question:
Won't it be difficult to drive a Left Hand Drive car in a Right Hand Drive country such as Japan? (and vice versa, RHD car in LHD territory)

It may add confusion especially since the human brain has to make massive adjustments when driving.............especially when performing safe overtaking manuevers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I think another important question is:
How long will you be staying in Japan?

If you'll be staying there for many years, then my recommendation is that if you still want an M5 F10 car, then sell your Canadian M5...........then just get a Japan-spec BMW M5 instead when you're in Japan

There are quite a number of them on the used and pre-owned market.

That and having a Right Hand Drive version will make things easier for you when driving in an RHD country such as Japan.

And another great thing:

Japan-spec units have built in VICS Module

VICS = Vehicle Information and Communication System (道路交通情報通信システム)

This allows car drivers to gain access to Real-Time Traffic Information (e.g. current traffic flows based on real-time ITS data) as well as important announcements such as roadworks data, traffic collisions and emergencies. In addition, the car would be compatible with Telematics systems there in Japan (especially if you plan to subscribe to BMW Japan ConnectedDrive Premium)

http://www.vics.or.jp/en/vics/index.html
http://www.vics.or.jp/en/vics/pdf/vics_pamph.pdf

In addition, JDM-spec units have built in Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) module and card slot.......which means that you don't have to buy an external card slot unit/reader anymore.

This pic shows both VICS and ETC being present on this Japan-market M5.

That and since it's a Japan-spec unit, you will have access to GPS Satellite Navigation for Japan

Japan Next 2015
Japan Premium 2015
Japan Evo 2016-1

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/04/...he-new-bmw-m5/

Peace
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
celicatoe46m3
Private First Class
Rep

Ya thanks so much, but the current pricing of my car is 30-35% more in Japan, so I was planning on keeping it instead of buying some small compact car for the cost of shipping and inspections.

They do have parking garages and toll booths for both sides of the cars, and I do also see many other LHD cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

m5

OK , not to rain on your parade, but there is more than you think that will need to get changed. Your 33 % may not be a saving after all.
Japan just like Europe's TUV is extremely ! tough !
It is not Canada or US anymore. YOU will have to comply with every rule in order to get everything legit ( unless i'm mistaken )
I think bumpers are different for Europe and US continent, Japan ?
front and rear lights are different for sure ( angles and intensity ) coding ohhhh yes ! There will be some other surprises for sure. You better get all of the facts before you get yourself into a pickle. That is my 5 cents
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
celicatoe46m3
Private First Class
Rep

I guess even if it was the same price, i'd still want to keep my car since there is history. I know what's solid, rather than buying something unknown there.

I am definitely checking into everything, but if someone has any info on my questions, that would be great.

I will try to self adjust the lights for now. Mine seem to be flat across the board when looking at a wall.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is not possible to adjut LHD lights to work legally in RHD countries.

Lights are angled towards the passenger side so as not to blind oncoming traffic. This angle is more than what can be adjusted on the headlight.

If you have adaptive headlights they will also turn the wrong way or too much and blind oncoming traffic.

The turning path lighting will also work on the incorrect side and blind oncoming traffic.

Another problem you will have is you navigation system will need a complete new recoding to work outside the US/Canada and you will have to load the Japan maps after that.

If you ever have an accident you may have huge problems trying to get parts like airbags since the rest of the world use different parts and sensors to USA/Canada models.

Also remember BMW Japan will not honor any recalls on non-Japan cars.
      10-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Hmm.........I have a question:
Won't it be difficult to drive a Left Hand Drive car in a Right Hand Drive country such as Japan? (and vice versa, RHD car in LHD territory)

It may add confusion especially since the human brain has to make massive adjustments when driving.............especially when performing safe overtaking manuevers
It's not that big of a deal actually, there are plenty of exotic cars in Japan that are not RHD (I think that's the reason it's legal to import LHD to Japan because in the earlier days, many foreign car manufacturers do not make both versions, on the other hand, it is illegal to import RHD to Taiwan, a LHD country).

It takes some brain adjustment like you said, every time I drive in Japan, I activate wipers when I was trying to use turn signal。
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
celicatoe46m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
It is not possible to adjut LHD lights to work legally in RHD countries.

Lights are angled towards the passenger side so as not to blind oncoming traffic. This angle is more than what can be adjusted on the headlight.

If you have adaptive headlights they will also turn the wrong way or too much and blind oncoming traffic.

The turning path lighting will also work on the incorrect side and blind oncoming traffic.

Another problem you will have is you navigation system will need a complete new recoding to work outside the US/Canada and you will have to load the Japan maps after that.

If you ever have an accident you may have huge problems trying to get parts like airbags since the rest of the world use different parts and sensors to USA/Canada models.

Also remember BMW Japan will not honor any recalls on non-Japan cars.
Can you clarify the recoding part for GPS?

I thought I'd only need to load Japan maps?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Don't do it bro!!

It may be easy to drive etc, but if you plan to travel, go to restaurants, or simply go to the store, you have to park the car and most times depending on the time of day the only place left to park is a parking garage, and the ticket thingie is on the right.

Plus the parking spaces are tight for a 2 series, I can't imagine an M5.
Name:  Parking (1).jpg
Views: 985
Size:  744.7 KB

I think I scratched the rims on the Celica at least once a day until I got accustomed to the tight spaces. Also, TRAFFIC!! You won't be able to open her up until you get out of Japan!
Name:  New hoopty (1).jpg
Views: 875
Size:  409.9 KB

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicatoe46m3 View Post
Can you clarify the recoding part for GPS?

I thought I'd only need to load Japan maps?
As far as im aware members on other bimmerpost forums that have moved cars from North America to other locations have had problems with their navigation.

As I recall just loading the local map has not always worked, or the system would not allow the map to be loaded until it was coded for the new region.

Will have to look up those threads again.
Remember quiet a few on the X5 bit of the site.

The M5 may be different

EDIT
One of the X5's with issues: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1111796

Last edited by E90Fleet; 10-30-2016 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
celicatoe46m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
It may be easy to drive etc, but if you plan to travel, go to restaurants, or simply go to the store, you have to park the car and most times depending on the time of day the only place left to park is a parking garage, and the ticket thingie is on the right.

Plus the parking spaces are tight for a 2 series, I can't imagine an M5.
Attachment 1518017

I think I scratched the rims on the Celica at least once a day until I got accustomed to the tight spaces. Also, TRAFFIC!! You won't be able to open her up until you get out of Japan!
Attachment 1518020

Good luck!
Hey man thanks for the thoughts, my wife already warmed me about the parking spaces. And the limited areas to go and park, I will be sure before I go out, and the area I will be living is foreign car friendly in Kobe.

I haven't 100% decided yet, but I'm really leaning towards doing it. If Nav doesn't work, its fine, because I've got my phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicatoe46m3 View Post
Hey man thanks for the thoughts, my wife already warmed me about the parking spaces. And the limited areas to go and park, I will be sure before I go out, and the area I will be living is foreign car friendly in Kobe.

I haven't 100% decided yet, but I'm really leaning towards doing it. If Nav doesn't work, its fine, because I've got my phone.
You're welcome. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #13
smoorebmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - F80 M3 (GF's)

*off topic* I just got back from 10 days in Japan - Best place on Earth!! People are amazing and Tokyo is unforgettable.

Grave Yard - 2014 BMW 640i - 2007 BMW 335i - 2006 BMW M5 - 2003 Infinti G35 - 2002 BMW 740i - 2002 CBR 954r - 2000 BMW 540i - 2000 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0