Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Demo M5...any good?

Hey guys,

wanted to see if anyone has any experience with demo M5 cars...if anyone's car is a demo or if someone knows someone.

Is it safe to own a demo car...are there any inherent issue or stigmas?

or does it really not matter if its a demo car wit 2K miles or brand new.

Would anyone lease a demo M5??

Wanted to see people's views on the demo car.

any input and views are appreciated and welcomed.

spank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

if you are saving, and don't mind the fact it was being beat on (which it was meant to be) pull the trigger.

warranty and maintenance still intact.. why not?
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      11-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
if you are saving, and don't mind the fact it was being beat on (which it was meant to be) pull the trigger.

warranty and maintenance still intact.. why not?
just hoping that the beating didn't really do any lasting damage, that will have me run to the dealer very often, even if free.

Is there any issue with beating on this M car, before the break in period?

its not like this car was driven mostly in break in period mode, with occasional spirited driving. No, it was driven hard all the time, because that's what the client would do when test driving it. So not sure if demo cars are worse than properly broken in cars.

Also...wouldn't the fact that this car was run vigorously from the very beginning, prevent its full potential from engine HP stand?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
just hoping that the beating didn't really do any lasting damage, that will have me run to the dealer very often, even if free.

Is there any issue with beating on this M car, before the break in period?

its not like this car was driven mostly in break in period mode, with occasional spirited driving. No, it was driven hard all the time, because that's what the client would do when test driving it. So not sure if demo cars are worse than properly broken in cars.

Also...wouldn't the fact that this car was run vigorously from the very beginning, prevent its full potential from engine HP stand?

i think when determining whether hard breakin period hurts a motor, (burning excess oil etc) is talked about, there are too many variables to account for in the long term.I do understand your concern, it is valid.

But honestly, if you're leasing the car, it doesn't really matter. Now, if you were purchasing it, and holding onto it for say, over 5 years and lots of miles.... i'd steer clear.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      11-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #5
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I have a BMW demo car....I dont obviously know the full history of the car but did as much digging around before I purchased the car and made myself as happy as I could...Ultimately I got a fully specced m5 at a really good price and I have now had the car for over 3 years...

The only problems I have had all been rectified via warranty and have all been relatively minor in nature as per the below

1) Some water ingress cause a drivetrain malfunction which was a straightforward fix
2) Drivetrain malfunction rectified by software update
3) Ac unit failure caused by known issue around AC compressor

Ive been very happy with my purchase but I will always have warranty on this type of car even if its not a demo..

My advise would be to get the service history of the car prior to you buying it...If you see things like brakes and tyres being changed during early life or frequenty, you will know that it has been thrashed..

Ultimately dont let the fact that its a demo put you off and maintain the warranty that you have for your piece of mind
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      11-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

During the test drive I was told to push it as hard as I can and push I did. With the car still being fairly cold. I would not buy, but lease is probably another story.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      11-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #7
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i think when determining whether hard breakin period hurts a motor, (burning excess oil etc) is talked about, there are too many variables to account for in the long term.I do understand your concern, it is valid.

But honestly, if you're leasing the car, it doesn't really matter. Now, if you were purchasing it, and holding onto it for say, over 5 years and lots of miles.... i'd steer clear.
Thanks.
This is actually a lease. Car has apprx 2200 miles. It's a 2016 but has production date of November 2015; not sure if it's a good thing that it's a year old car. Payment is 960 a month. Its a 109k msrp.

2200 miles...can it simply be test drive miles?

I know folks will say that during drive tests, they pushed the car hard. So of course the break in process was overlooked for demo m cars. But, not sure if its a bad thing for the engine and etc. These cars are built tough for the tough performance. Im not too familiar with this topic though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #8
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
I have a BMW demo car....I dont obviously know the full history of the car but did as much digging around before I purchased the car and made myself as happy as I could...Ultimately I got a fully specced m5 at a really good price and I have now had the car for over 3 years...

The only problems I have had all been rectified via warranty and have all been relatively minor in nature as per the below

1) Some water ingress cause a drivetrain malfunction which was a straightforward fix
2) Drivetrain malfunction rectified by software update
3) Ac unit failure caused by known issue around AC compressor

Ive been very happy with my purchase but I will always have warranty on this type of car even if its not a demo..

My advise would be to get the service history of the car prior to you buying it...If you see things like brakes and tyres being changed during early life or frequenty, you will know that it has been thrashed..

Ultimately dont let the fact that its a demo put you off and maintain the warranty that you have for your piece of mind
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Thanks.
This is actually a lease. Car has apprx 2200 miles. It's a 2016 but has production date of November 2015; not sure if it's a good thing that it's a year old car. Payment is 960 a month. Its a 109k msrp.

2200 miles...can it simply be test drive miles?

I know folks will say that during drive tests, they pushed the car hard. So of course the break in process was overlooked for demo m cars. But, not sure if its a bad thing for the engine and etc. These cars are built tough for the tough performance. Im not too familiar with this topic though.

go for it, make sure the dealer you buy it from does break in (if it hasn't been done already) so you don't have any problems with warranty coverage down the line.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      11-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
KFERI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

I purchased( not Leased) a 2012 ex demo with 23k miles a few months ago, I just checked the service history very closely made sure it wasn't in for the same issue over and over again. Also got a good deal on her... so far had nothing to worry about. M cars are meant to be driven hard
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
Badboy8813
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 Frozen SS 2014 M6 CP

I would jump on it!