Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Luxurious and fast.
      04-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #46
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks south. So for all F1x, Comfort Access is really only the passive lock/unlock now, while passive ignition has become standard. F0x the same way I assume? I wonder if this is how the F2x and F3x will be equipped as well?

BTW, it seems strange to have that key icon and related sensors on the side of the bezel there. I'd have thought that a location on the dash near the start button is a better location. I suspect plenty of owners would not even realize it is there since you cannot see it readily from the drivers seat. Then again, it probably rarely needs to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
This isn't specific to the M5, no F10 model has a key hole. Regardless of whether comfort access is included or not, key in pocket is enough to start the car.

Yep, like I said above. The key icon is in case of this feature failing. If -- due to some error/malfunction -- the car doesn't recognize the keys being somewhere in the cabin you can hold your key to this spot on the steering wheel column and it starts.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #47
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Is this seriously what it will look like when it gets to production?

This doesn't appear to be very different from a regular F10 5 series?
That's what I was thinking...maybe someone thinks that M in the instrument cluster is a major distinguishing factor...LOL!!! Or perhaps it's because they are putting ultra-suede on various parts instead of leather or real suede (what an odd thought that'd be ;-) )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #48
MDivPower
Private First Class
Egypt
Rep
Drives: mk4 Jetta

what about the seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #49
mslvkM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3 sedan

The original idea behind iDrive was to eliminate or at least reduce the sea of buttons, knobs and other driver controls on the dashboard. But, of course, since no one was happy with iDrive it has morphed into a system with its own surrounding pushbuttons in addition to the existing HVAC and radio/CD controls. So in terms of clutter we are worse off than before (but not as bad as in the E63 Merc, gosh, how does anyone find anything without taking your eyes off the road for an unacceptably long time in that car. Even its steering wheel controls are unnecessarily complicated: four-way directionals? Really? Try that just using your thumb). At least the gauges are still straightforward in both cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #50
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Is this seriously what it will look like when it gets to production?

This doesn't appear to be very different from a regular F10 5 series?
Historically, there isn't much of an obvious difference between M interiors, as others have already mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
The flash has to be screwing with the materials. I really hope it looks better than this in person, otherwise the CLS63 and E63 interiors will stomp this thing to the ground. I typically prefer the cleanliness of BMW interiors, though, so I'm confident that this is just some terrible camerawork.

For comparison, the new E63's interior.

I hope we get some better photos.
Am I the only one that thinks that the benz interior is unappealing? Wayy too many buttons, and the seats don't look good at all, and that shifter is ugly. The steering wheel does look phenomenal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
U serious??

The M3 looks nothing like the regular production 3series it has:

Flared fenders/quarter panels
Different front/rear bumpers
Powerdome hood with hood vents
M wheels
Different side mirrors
Lowered suspension
M colored interior (fox red)
M tri-color steering wheel
M specific trim (carbon leather)
And not to mention the V8 under the hood
I believe he was only talking about interior bits. Anyone with eyes can see the outside visual changes

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #51
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm not sure this is a production ready interior. It has certain elements but I find it hard to believe--- especially when presented with the other picture posted above.

I will say that I like the door cards though... they look light... which is a theme I'm hoping they continued with throughout other areas of the car. Otherwise this car is going to be a porker and not at all appealing to anyone with sporting intentions.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Amen.

I don't understand what is going on with machine-human interface in modern automobiles. Save for a select few small players like Fisker or Tesla, everyone seems to be tossing around aimlessly in a sea of confusing, half-baked, convoluted solutions. We're adding more ways to do the same old stuff, and on top of that leaving in the legacy crap as well. Why?

For me, just give me one big touch screen in the center of the dash where I can bring up whatever interface(s) I need. Need HVAC? Give a me picture of a traditional HVAC panel with touch-enabled knobs and buttons. Need radio? Give me a picture of the radio interface. Or let me bring both up at once and place them in the order I want them. Then let me save that configuration and recall it when I want it, and allow me to save and recall other UI configurations when I want those too.

If some people must have physical buttons, then fine, give them the option. Heck, give them a rotary dial for their cell phone and an 8 track player if they really won't buy the car without the obsolete crap in it. But for anyone who is familiar with an iPad or iPhone, a large unified touch screen with absolute minimalism as far as physical buttons go is a no brainer. Why is almost no one doing this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslvkM3 View Post
The original idea behind iDrive was to eliminate or at least reduce the sea of buttons, knobs and other driver controls on the dashboard. But, of course, since no one was happy with iDrive it has morphed into a system with its own surrounding pushbuttons in addition to the existing HVAC and radio/CD controls. So in terms of clutter we are worse off than before
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #53
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLakers91tc View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that the benz interior is unappealing? Wayy too many buttons, and the seats don't look good at all, and that shifter is ugly. The steering wheel does look phenomenal though
I agree with you. I guess people who like the high tech look would find it appealing but like you, I also think there are way too many buttons. If you're going to have that many buttons and switches, what's the point of an iDrive type UI? That's why I love BMW's simple interior. The buttons that are there are for the basics while the rest could be done through iDrive.

(I thought the number pad was cool when it first came out but now it just looks old and outdated to me...)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #54
MsCaballoVerde
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nostalgia for Infinity

Nice, but I need the wood trim...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #55
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
mmm, i hope this is not what the final production car would look like; otherwise, i would have to admit that the E63's interior is way more refined.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #56
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

The e63 looks incredible, it's not my taste but they did a great job. I think the M5 is just lacking a better steering wheel. Something that feels like your gripping a powerful beast, that's what the e63 is portraying very well; I can do without the thousand buttons though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #57
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:

I believe he was only talking about interior bits. Anyone with eyes can see the outside visual changes
Apparently not because he listed items that are on the exterior of the car...

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #58
shanecarmaster1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, F01 750Li, e38 740i

A bit disappointed with the interior. The e39 M5 was the best "M" interior in my opinion. It had beefy nappa leather seats, nappa leather dashboard, alacantara headliner, M Audio, oval interior mirror, and a fantastic option interior color called "camel." All the features were blended seamlessly.
      04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #59
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

E9x M3 has both, 20kph increments up until 120kph and 30kph increments from 120kph on.

Best regards,
south

Damm... you are right South! I don't know how I missed that! Even the new 1M has it this way.

e92 M3 BMW on Demand - hourly rental...

Name:  IMG_3983.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  77.0 KB

BSM 1M at the Welt...
Name:  IMG_4147.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  97.3 KB

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #60
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

04-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #61
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Posting those first interior shots was a bit of a mistake. The (presumably Chinese) photographer did a lousy job taking shots of a not-ready-for-prime-time interior. What did he use? His Blackberry?

I'll reserve judgments on the final product when we can get some appropriately lit glam shots of the interior by a properly professional photographer.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #62
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The BMW Concept M5 in No way in either interior or exterior represents the finished production car.

For that you have to wait till June.
      04-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #63
BimmerJackal
New
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 520 2.2

It's very great. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #64
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLakers91tc View Post
Historically, there isn't much of an obvious difference between M interiors, as others have already mentioned

I dunno.

My business partner's E60 M5 was waaaaay nicer inside than any other regular E60 5 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The BMW Concept M5 in No way in either interior or exterior represents the finished production car.

For that you have to wait till June.
This is what I was waiting to hear. So when and where is the actual production version slated to be released???
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #65
panzerjager
Rep
Drives: '10 C63 AMG

I believe these are photos from the new CLS63 and not the E63. In other news, Mercedes decided to throw a curveball and introduce the new 5.5 TT engine into the E as well. Seems like the only cars left in the lineup with monstrous 6.2L engines are the C and the SLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
The flash has to be screwing with the materials. I really hope it looks better than this in person, otherwise the CLS63 and E63 interiors will stomp this thing to the ground. I typically prefer the cleanliness of BMW interiors, though, so I'm confident that this is just some terrible camerawork.

For comparison, the new E63's interior.

I hope we get some better photos.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #66
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
fml an m car with a 7200 rpm redline...