M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

01-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #23
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Bear in mind that my car has sealant applied to both the bra and the paint. When you run your finger across it they feel very similar. I think the bra feels slightly smoother, but it is very subtle. I had to run my hands several times to develop a perception of a difference.

In appearance - it looks the same except at very shallow angles. So if you look at the finish with your eyes just a little higher than the surface you will notice a difference - it will look slightly smoother or more satin. This is most evident when looking at the hood from the driver's seat. You will notice it is a little more satin.

However from most viewing angles you don't notice it. In fact I am the only person who notices it. Even the guys at the dealer didn't notice there was a clearbra till I told them, and then it was a thing they marveled at.

From my point of view this slight trade-off in appearance is worth it. The car still looks factory, there is not difference in tone. And there is no difference in gloss from most angles. It photographs as if it has a consistent appearance across the entire car. That slight increase in satin at some angles is the cost of not having any paint chips (which on this car would appear as black spots if I didn't have a clear bra).

If you have concerns, you could ask them to do one area first and live with it for a few days before deciding whether to get rid of it or expand the coverage. Maybe do the door mirror, or one rocker panel, or just the front bumper to start. I did the whole car the very day I took delivery, because I hate paint chips and I have a high trust in my clear bra guy (he's top notch and does all the work for Ferrari and Bentley around here).
Im just curious to know what you used for the final step of applying the sealent - the drying portion. The video on Dr Beaslys shows to use a microfiber cloth, but according to BMW that type of cloth is a no no for frozen paint. I have frozen silver on an upcoming ED and before leaving the welt plan to apply to sealant.

Im assuming microfiber is ok as long as you dont apply pressure, but thought id check with someone who has done it successfully. Also given I wont have access to a hose at the welt would using a spray bottle for ensuring the surface is wet first suffice?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #24
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Im just curious to know what you used for the final step of applying the sealent - the drying portion. The video on Dr Beaslys shows to use a microfiber cloth, but according to BMW that type of cloth is a no no for frozen paint. I have frozen silver on an upcoming ED and before leaving the welt plan to apply to sealant.

Im assuming microfiber is ok as long as you dont apply pressure, but thought id check with someone who has done it successfully. Also given I wont have access to a hose at the welt would using a spray bottle for ensuring the surface is wet first suffice?

Thanks!
Microfiber is okay. BMW made a mistake when they said no Microfiber. They later retracted that. The care guidelines the M Studio in Garsching gave me involved using the microfiber.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #25
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Microfiber is okay. BMW made a mistake when they said no Microfiber. They later retracted that. The care guidelines the M Studio in Garsching gave me involved using the microfiber.
Thanks for the clarification. That helps and to be blunt simply didn't make any sense to me.

What about the water part. Do you need to really saturate the car prior to adding the Dr. B sealant, or is a spray bottle set to mist enough. Ill be limited at the welt.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #26
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Thanks for the clarification. That helps and to be blunt simply didn't make any sense to me.

What about the water part. Do you need to really saturate the car prior to adding the Dr. B sealant, or is a spray bottle set to mist enough. Ill be limited at the welt.
I have a detailer do this work - my observation was that he basically applied it after rinsing it. Just like in this video:

I think if you use a spray bottle to mist and apply that will be perfect.

However I don't think it is necessary. All new matte cars come with a coat of matte wax/sealant from BMW. I know this because my car was beading water exceptionally well straight from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Good to know. Ill bring the sealant just in case, but ask my delivery advisor if a fresh coat of matte wax/sealant was applied from the factory.

thanks agin
Appreciate 0