Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #23
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5007 View Post
I am having some unexplainable issue with my F10 M5. The driver door has on 4 occasions opened on its own after leaving the car for a few hours (sleep mode-according to service advisor)

I know this sounds insane but there has to be a logical explanation other than the car is possessed.

I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the latch. It has the soft close doors so they think it may be caused by it. Still no solution to the issue.

Anyone had this issue or even heard of it?

Constructive feedback is highly appreciated.
perhaps it could be the transmitter signal malfunction from your keyfob. Whereby the keyfob send the signal to open door. and also the sensor in the actual vehicle could be malfunctioning to actually swing the door open. logically, it should not be opened at such a degree. Strange. Try to see if the hinge is too tight. When sitting in the car, don't close the door to the point of soft close suction, and see what the door does. Give it a few minutes. see if the door slowly opens. I also would suggest setting up an inexpensive camera. Even a web cam or a go-pro, or a Canary type.
This is a weird one. Unless someone is f-ing with you. could be your significant other playing this prank on you. and denying any involvement. I would quietly install a web cam, those Canaries look like a piece of furniture, so no one would see a camera. whatever you do, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:32 PM   #24
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Wow this really is interesting. Usually head scratchers like this have a very basic / obvious answer. What bugs me is there is nothing in the door system to "push" the door back open that far. I can see it unlatching, but for it to pull open that much something has to be pulling it open. If you sit in the car and close the door, then just pull the door handle to open it, does the door swing open by itself? Try that I'm just curious what the door does if you just pull the handle open from the inside.
I will try that tomorrow. I am willing to try anything at this point. It?s been one week and it has not done it again. But after 4 random times I am not surprised and just waiting for it to happen again.
      10-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #25
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Anything new on the ghost? Maybe casper left
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #26
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
Subbed for possible video..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #27
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

Could be a couple of things:
  • High Tension on door latch: With soft-close doors, its really hard to understand or detect if the latch has been adjust too far inboard, cinching the door too tightly when the soft-close mechanism pulls the door in to fully latch. I would think if it was barely latched and unlocked, there is a possibility that the door could eventually pop-open with the aid of the release from the soft-close mechanism.
  • Soft-Close mechanism never fully latching: Possibly the soft-close mechanism has presented some soft of false-positive of functioning correctly due to the doors being locked when driven, which may have some sort of latch protection of it's own that is only activated when the doors are locked
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:32 AM   #28
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Anything new on the ghost? Maybe casper left
I attempted to pop the door open about an 1" or 2" just to see if it would swing open. It did not. The hinges are tight.

I set up my Go Pro for a couple of days and nothing happened...yet