Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
2013alpinewhitem5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Is this normal?

I was cruising around town and I set up M1 button to sport, sport, sport, S3with automatic mode.

Gear was changed from 1st to 2nd gear with no problem, but from 2nd to 3rd gear, 2nd gear kept going all the way up to 7000rpm without switch to 3rd gear. Why is that?(normal cruising speed) shouldn't all gears need to change automatically on D mode? So I have changed Dtronic from S3 to S2 then it was changing as it should be.

Should I have dealer take a look at this matter?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013alpinewhitem5 View Post
I was cruising around town and I set up M1 button to sport, sport, sport, S3with automatic mode.

Gear was changed from 1st to 2nd gear with no problem, but from 2nd to 3rd gear, 2nd gear kept going all the way up to 7000rpm without switch to 3rd gear. Why is that?(normal cruising speed) shouldn't all gears need to change automatically on D mode? So I have changed Dtronic from S3 to S2 then it was changing as it should be.

Should I have dealer take a look at this matter?
Two drive logic modes with the DCT. Drive (D) and Sequential (S). Drive is "automatic", i.e. the DCT will change gears for you. Sequential is "manual", you have to change gears. There is no Sequential with Drive mode.

Within each of the settings, there are three programs:

Drive:
1. Efficient driving
2. Relaxed driving
3. Sporty driving

Sequential:
1. Comfortable gear shifts
2. Sporty, quick gear shifts
3. Maximum shifting speed and the prerequisite for activation of launch control

So if you were in D3, the car will shift automatically taking into consideration the amount of throttle input, etc. when determining shift timing. That said if you are in D3 the DCT will hold gears much longer that D2. It will eventually change gears up/down, without intervention but it may continue to engine redline depending on the situation.

If you were in D1/2/3 and manually shifted the car the DCT would go into Sequential mode. At that point you'd then need to continue with manual shifts OR push the gear selector on the center console "right", thereby placing the DCT back into Drive enabling "automatic" shifts.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Well it depends I think on how hard you are on the throttle. If high throttle setting will hold gear until max rpm shift point in D3. If you lift off throttle it will shift sooner I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
2013alpinewhitem5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post
Well it depends I think on how hard you are on the throttle. If high throttle setting will hold gear until max rpm shift point in D3. If you lift off throttle it will shift sooner I think.
I did not give you gas aggressively, I was trying to speed up gradually just to see the shift pattern on M sport drive. But the gear did not change from 2nd to 3rd all the way up to 7000rpm before I switch back to manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Well not sure then, maybe S3 mode all gears hold till reach max rpm shift point. I will play with mine tomorrow and see. I never use D mode so really not that familiar with it! My memory is the S5 setting on the E60 M5 held gears to a pretty high rpm.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91
Well not sure then, maybe S3 mode all gears hold till reach max rpm shift point. I will play with mine tomorrow and see. I never use D mode so really not that familiar with it! My memory is the S5 setting on the E60 M5 held gears to a pretty high rpm.
S will not auto shift.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0