M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Stopped by the Autoshow today after I got off work. Very entertaining!

I'm posting this up in the main section for more visibility.

Here are a few pix that I snapped with the iPhone and a few short words about some stuff. Lol!

Of note: here's what peaked my interest the most out of the things that I have never seen before.

1. Saw the new C7 Z06 Convertible. Wow what a looker! Absolutely stunning from every angle and since it was slow at the time I went to the Autoshow, I got to sit in every vehicle with the exception of the Mercedes AMG GT-S. If there is anything at all to say bad about the new C7 Vette it's the interior. After I got to sit in it for a couple of minutes my previous thoughts were confirmed and the latest generation Dodge Viper does indeed have a more premium feel to the interior than the C7 Z06 does. I'm not saying that the C7 interior is bad, it's just that it's not up to par with other supercars, even American ones. Overall though, what a sexy car. GM really got it right!

2. Next, I saw the new 2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat. The exterior lines do look really good, but it's still really one of those cars that looks good from far but far from good, if you know what I mean. As I got closer to it, I began to see all of the little design features that make it look a bit less classy and more cheaply American made. Take the headlights for instance, yes from afar the white light does does look good, but up close you can easily tell that there are no LED in those lights and it looks cheap. I got to sit in the Dodge Charger Hellcat and after sitting in the Camaro ZL1 just a couple of minutes before, I got the same exact feeling, extremely cheap interior. Granted I am a harsh critic because I drive a fully optioned out F10 M5 with Full Leather Package and everything, but still I would have hoped the Charger Hellcat would have been more of a step above a standard Charger, it really wasn't. Sure there is more Alcantara with cross stitching in the Charger Hellcat than a Base Charger, but it the interior, in word, just felt "gross" to me. Not only that, but the ergonomics in the Hellcat were completely off. I'm not sure I have ever sat in a more uncomfortable seat in a new car. From the looks, the front seats in the Hellcat looks cool, sporty, and supportive, but they weren't any of those things. Least of all supportive, yes they have what appears to be some very big bolstering in the waist and shoulder area but they weren't. Just sitting in the car led me to one conclusion, it truly is just a 4-Door Muscle car and not a true Sports Sedan. I think if the best car you have owned was a Ford Mustang of some sort and wanted to get into a high performance 4-Door, you would be impressed with the Charger Hellcat as a whole package, but for anyone who has owned any kind of European or JDM premium vehicle, it's a big step down in every area except horsepower. With that said, I will still test drive one for the hell of it. I'm sure the performance will be very impressive.

3. Saw a Lexus RCF for the first time and got to sit in too. From the outside, I loved super aggressive styling. There's really not too much else on the road that will look like an RCF for that amount of money. Extremely different and pretty exotic looking. The interior was cool too. I almost felt like I was sitting in a quasi-LFA car. Especially with the way that the two center air conditioning vents are designed and look almost identical to the LFA's. What was really cool was the full LCD instrument cluster. This is where I think Lexus has got the F82 M4 beat. The LCD instrument display is super slick and looks very cool. The little touchpad for navigating the center console LCD screen was a bit gimicky and felt like it required too much finesse to use, especially while driving. The same setup is in modern Audi cars and it feels 100% better to the touch and use. The thing I liked most about the RCF is its almost outrageous exterior styling.

4. The new 2015 CTS-V and the new 2015 ATS-V. Saw both of them together. All I have to say is WOW! Cadillac has come an extremely long way over the past 5-6 years. I was more impressive with the CTS-V than the ATS-V but both were very cool. Sitting the CTS-V, it did indeed have that premium feel, but definitely still like 4 notches below a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Porsche. There are so many things that I didn't know the CTS-V comes with too, like Heated Steering Wheel, Front heated and cooled seats, Heads Up Display, etc... The seats in the CTS-V felt 100x better than in the Charger Hellcat, but still lacked some functionality and comfort from the seats in the F10 M5. For example the headrests in the CTS-V aren't multi-function like in the M5. The rear seat in the CTS-V is definitely a big step down from the M5 as well. The cushioning isn't as thick and the leather no where near as luxurious as the F10 M5's. Also the Cue system is still terrible. The temperature controls in the back seat look and feel cheap too. One thing I was highly impressed with and which surprised me was the Full LCD screen on the Instrument Cluster in the CTS-V. Totally badass. The ergonomics felt a lot better in the CTS-V too, still a few notches down from an M5 though. Until I test drive the new CTS-V, I felt like it's definitely more of a race-car/track car/strategic bomber than the M5 is, which is pretty much a Private Jet for the highway and city, that you can take on the track once in a while, kick ass and ask for grey poupon where ever you are, even on the track. I pretty much know that the new CTS-V will outperform the F10 M5 in some areas, but it's definitely not in the areas of comfort, luxury, or technology. The new CTS-V seems like it puts itself in a market of it's own when considering Sport-Sedans. More performance than the competition but less luxury, technology and comfort for less price. One last thing to note is that on both the CTS-V and ATS-V, the wheel sizes look a little disproportionate to the size of the car. The CTS-V only comes with 19" wheels and the ATS-V only comes with 18" wheels. Oh I also think that the M3/M4 has a much better back seat than the ATS-V. Oh also knowing that you have a Carbon Fiber Hood from the factory on the CTS-V was kind of a special feeling. Lol!

5. The new 2015 BMW X6M. Saw it in Long Beach Blue for the first time. What a stunning color. Pictures simply don't do it justice. I think a 1 off Individual F10 M5 in Long Beach Blue might break the Internet. It's a much sexier color than Laguna Seca Blue in my opinion. What shocked me the most on the new X6M was the interior. The only way I can describe it is like it is like being in the Uber-1st class cabin of an Airbus 380 Stratoliner. It's beyond that Private Jet like cabin. So elegant and the leather, the nappa leather was just everywhere and so much elegant cross-stitching too. Incredible. The interior on the X6M is the first interior design I have seen where I actually loved the how the dashed was designed with the floating iDrive Screen. The Carbon Fiber Trim looked better than perfect. Like it took them 20 years to design how the trim would look, it was amazing. I would say that the only thing really missing from the X6M is a full carbon fiber roof. For the X5M, I can understand, but I think the X6M needs to have that Carbon Fiber Roof for that extra sporty look. With that said, a 5,100lbs SAV that has a better Nurburgring time than the E92 M3, that's something to really think about.

6. The Mercedes AMT GT-S. Very cool car. I was less stricken by it though honestly. The one they had was in a kind of ugly yellow color. Loved the Carbon Fiber Splitter and Diffuser on the car, but that rear end, there's something slightly wrong about it. I wanted to say it kind of looks like a mini-SLS, but it really doesn't. It has it's own look and I think that's a good thing.

The only car I wish I was able to see is the new Ford GT. I think it looks amazing and that would have been insane to see one in person. That will definitely be a car to look out for in the future. Hoped you all enjoyed reading my book. Lol!

Here's a few pix I snapped with the iPhone6
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 02-01-2015 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Cool post, thanks! I was curious to hear about the interiors of both the Challenger Hellcat and the CTS-V. Frankly, I've been looking to get back to the American market, but HP isn't everything to me. I drive my car a lot, especially when I'm on call and as silly as it may be, I want a really nice interior amongst attention to detail in other areas, like headlight design as that's what has caused me to look elsewhere for the last 20+ years. Now Lexus does a good job, but BMW is up there with the interior and makes a better driver's car, imo. I was interested in the CTS-V, but had pause because of the interior and other areas they may have tried to save money. I hope they finally get it right and at least have an option for an upgraded interior in the next gen model or LCI. Nice write up!
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

We are spoiled by the full leather in the M5. Mine in all black gets over-the-top compliments from everyone. "Best interior I've ever sat in". "Damn, I'm trading my Merc next week", and the best one from a lady, "Wow, this interior is f*&@ing beautiful!".
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
///M5ForWin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC
We are spoiled by the full leather in the M5. Mine in all black gets over-the-top compliments from everyone. "Best interior I've ever sat in". "Damn, I'm trading my Merc next week", and the best one from a lady, "Wow, this interior is f*&@ing beautiful!".
It's good to be spoiled!

Nice write up Dave.
2011 X5 35d Black
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
That was an awesome write up, thanks for the novel.
Very interested in your comments with regards to Hellcat, Charger and CTS-V. I'm disappointed to hear that the final finish just isn't there. Personally, I would like to buy American, at least we know that BMW's largest plant in the world will soon be in North Carolina.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I attended the NAIAS on industry day and posted a few pics and comments elsewhere on these BMW forums, but didn't take the time to do such a nice write-up. Shame on me for not sharing and kudos to RP for doing so. It's guys like you that keep these forums informative and relevant, as opposed to the silly imature arguments incited by some.

Regarding the build quality, interiors and materials of the Chrysler products versus BMW, well you get what you pay for. There is a reason the M5 costs 100k. If you compare the interior of a Charger to a 5 series you can see where the money goes. If you compare the interior of the latest Charger to the previous model, you can see that FCA has made great strides. So it's all relative.

On a personal note, GM has come a long way with its Cadillacs competing with the likes of BMW and MB. Its cars are more poised, with significantly better suspension, chassis and drive train balance. And of course, these efforts are reflected by increased cost. But I just do not like Cadillac styling. The vertical light theme looks fine on a truck, but not a sedan. I don't find the exterior lines pleasing at all. And as previously stated, they have a way to go with the Cue system. Just not a fan.
Appreciate 0