Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #23
frybird57
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkim85 View Post
maybe its the angle of the last photo, but i think it would look even better with some spacers!
I think the angle has something to do with it...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #24
frybird57
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Very nice
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

I have been cycling between the latest-gen M5 and M3s (I love M cars). I liked my last M3 (E90) better than the M5 I had prior (E60). Really did not like the M5's SMG and the V8 in the M3 was terrific. Great nimble car. Now I love my M5 better than the M3...the power is ridiculous, the DCT is as good, works better for my family. The F10 is an incredible car overall. Keeping with history though and while I wait for the next M5, I may just have to try the next M3 out, say in a few years. I like to have the new model come out and bed in a little, get an LCI refresh out of the way and then make the move. But that's just me.

I have posted on this before, but I have no doubt that in 2018-ish, the next M5 will raise the bar a couple notches yet again. It's what M does.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
I have been cycling between the latest-gen M5 and M3s (I love M cars). I liked my last M3 (E90) better than the M5 I had prior (E60). Really did not like the M5's SMG and the V8 in the M3 was terrific. Great nimble car. Now I love my M5 better than the M3...the power is ridiculous, the DCT is as good, works better for my family. The F10 is an incredible car overall. Keeping with history though and while I wait for the next M5, I may just have to try the next M3 out, say in a few years. I like to have the new model come out and bed in a little, get an LCI refresh out of the way and then make the move. But that's just me.

I have posted on this before, but I have no doubt that in 2018-ish, the next M5 will raise the bar a couple notches yet again. It's what M does.
No doubt the next M5 will raise the bar. It just really depends on how they do it. I'm really not looking forward to the G30 chassis getting bigger than the F10 already is, even though I'm pretty certain the G30 M5 will be lighter than the F10 M5.

Also the engines of the next generation M's worry me a bit right now. I'm speculating the next M's will be going Hybrid Assist Drive Trains like the P1, LaFerrari, and i8. And there's also rumors of the next generation X5M and X6M using a reworked version of the S63tu with increased horsepower up around 600hp stock. I'm not excited about M's future models using reworked M engines of today's M cars but with Hybrid Assist. I still want M to innovate, and come out with brand new engine designs. But then the dilemma is where can high performance gasoline engines go next? Mercedes is doing some interesting work and looks to be developing smaller twin turbo engines for all it's AMG cars. The CLA45 was the beginning with its 4cyl Turbo banging out 360hp. The next gen C63, will have a 4.0L Twin Turbo V8. Why can't M develop a highly efficient Twin Turbo 4.0L V10 for the next M5?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #27
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Very Nice color dud
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
No doubt the next M5 will raise the bar. It just really depends on how they do it. I'm really not looking forward to the G30 chassis getting bigger than the F10 already is, even though I'm pretty certain the G30 M5 will be lighter than the F10 M5.

Also the engines of the next generation M's worry me a bit right now. I'm speculating the next M's will be going Hybrid Assist Drive Trains like the P1, LaFerrari, and i8. And there's also rumors of the next generation X5M and X6M using a reworked version of the S63tu with increased horsepower up around 600hp stock. I'm not excited about M's future models using reworked M engines of today's M cars but with Hybrid Assist. I still want M to innovate, and come out with brand new engine designs. But then the dilemma is where can high performance gasoline engines go next? Mercedes is doing some interesting work and looks to be developing smaller twin turbo engines for all it's AMG cars. The CLA45 was the beginning with its 4cyl Turbo banging out 360hp. The next gen C63, will have a 4.0L Twin Turbo V8. Why can't M develop a highly efficient Twin Turbo 4.0L V10 for the next M5?

Fair points. I think the engine will probably end up being great, hybrid or not (I have yet to be disappointed with an M engine) and it will be lighter and faster. For me, a bigger chassis is the potential fly in the ointment. Not needed; that's called a 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
Fair points. I think the engine will probably end up being great, hybrid or not (I have yet to be disappointed with an M engine) and it will be lighter and faster. For me, a bigger chassis is the potential fly in the ointment. Not needed; that's called a 7 series.
I might be mistaken but wouldn't a hybrid model be fairly heavy. I can't imagine the battery pack not being an issue over a pure gasoline model.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
Quote:

That's probably my #1 thing too. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a 7 Series. Sometimes I already do with the F10.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #31
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
I might be mistaken but wouldn't a hybrid model be fairly heavy. I can't imagine the battery pack not being an issue over a pure gasoline model.
It'll probably depending the battery technology a few years from now. The P1 has batteries, but look how not heavy it is.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It'll probably depending the battery technology a few years from now. The P1 has batteries, but look how not heavy it is.
The new M3/4 is evidence that M branch has taken weight reduction to heart. For the next M5, the combo of lightweight materials and hybrid lessons from the i8 could make it a very compelling car. I just don't want it to get any bigger...simply not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #33
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:

Personally I think the last thing these cars need is more HP. Good for bragging rights, but almost unusable on the street already. Add to the fact that they have become so capable that they are uninvolving below 9/10th's which is beyond go to jail speed and more like go the the morgue speed.

I would LOVE to see big weight reduction with a target weight of sub 3800 lbs. Not an easy task, but take out a lot of the unnecessary "luxury" items (power sunroof shade, soft close doors, power trunk, 20 way power seats, etc) to build an M5 CSL like car and I would sign up tomorrow. I am not saying these shouldn't be an option because for most people they are great, but a halo car like this could do wonders to continue the success of the M image.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk
Quote:

Personally I think the last thing these cars need is more HP. Good for bragging rights, but almost unusable on the street already. Add to the fact that they have become so capable that they are uninvolving below 9/10th's which is beyond go to jail speed and more like go the the morgue speed.

I would LOVE to see big weight reduction with a target weight of sub 3800 lbs. Not an easy task, but take out a lot of the unnecessary "luxury" items (power sunroof shade, soft close doors, power trunk, 20 way power seats, etc) to build an M5 CSL like car and I would sign up tomorrow. I am not saying these shouldn't be an option because for most people they are great, but a halo car like this could do wonders to continue the success of the M image.
I have a feeling that the next M5 will have a Carbon Fiber Roof. Also I can pretty much guarantee that we'll be seeing a Carbon Fiber trunk, drive shaft, and maybe a hood in the next M5. I just know that the reduction of weight is going to be their overall goal, while at the same time increasing luxury, utility, comfort, and engine performance. I really can't see them announcing an engine over 600hp though.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #35
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Six hundo, guaranteed. Targeting sub-4,000 lbs (reasonable target probably) with lots of carbon fibre including wheels? Something tells me there will be a hybrid aspect to it for extra HP/torque and better MPG. Flash HP up to 700? With weight reduction a major goal, I just can't figure out how AWD will figure in.

With Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren taking a major stride on what halo cars should look like (and the i8 bridging the gap to that world in a more practical way for BMW), the M5 may end up being BMW's next technology statement car (after the i8). I don't see an M-i8 and BMW may not want to spend the $$$ on an M1 (what really is the point with such great hypercar competition already?). However, Mercedes is learning a tonne about hybrid power trains from its F1 program (the most relevant road car technology coming out of F1 in some time) so I just can't see BMW not marrying the best of its current turbo-gas engine technology with hybrid technology for next-gen M's.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #36
bobs619
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Saphire Black F10 M5

I made the transition too. Love my new m5
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #37
mango14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I'm thinking of making the same jump my self (e90 to f10 m5).

My 2 biggest complaints and annoyances with my m3 are the cup holders (cheap and bad location) and the size of the vehicle is just a bit too small.

The new m3s seem to correct both annoyances while adding a few new necessary features as well .

Did you consider the new m3 at all? Or is the m5 simply that much better?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #38
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
I'm not excited about M's future models using reworked M engines of today's M cars but with Hybrid Assist. I still want M to innovate, and come out with brand new engine designs.
Hybrid Assist is innovative, creating more power with less gasoline consumption, which is the direction future engines are going to.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #39
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

They have to focus on the weight.. its very 7 series like in its size and heavy footed feel - add 4WD for those that want and I think they have a winner! Its great to have all the luxury but I would definitely do without some of it for a more nimble feel.
      05-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #40
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Won't be lighter as AWD is coming -
-Doubt that much carbon fiber but it is already in M5 GC
-590HP and 610 for Competition Package -
So people will be shelling out 8k or so just to join the -600 HP club (Who wouldn't just for bragging rights)
-Wish Hybrid in the work but probably the model after 2018
-Bigger chassis No No please No BMW car is already suffering from size and one of few flaws

Guys predictions or expectations shouldn't be wishful thinking but why not if we are the Ones Paying and Buying and actually marketing it for BMW fee of charge -
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

All the guys who switched from M3 to M5, don't you miss how nimble the smaller/lighter car was?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #42
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
All the guys who switched from M3 to M5, don't you miss how nimble the smaller/lighter car was?
Not really. It is true that the last M3 is more nimble and the size of the M5 needs getting used to. However, in most situations, the M5 is far more capable. Endless reserve of power it seems! It blows my mind...and I had an M5 before my last M3. Best M car I have driven (15 years and five cars).
Appreciate 0