M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #23
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

i have been quite critical of the M5 after having bought it being seduced by the torque, much lower price tag than the 911 Carrera Sand its comfort. now it has been with me for more than half a year and about 10K km.
a week ago i took the car from vienna to the italian alps via swiss passes and again it proved to be all that: a marvelously fast and comfortable cruiser which lets you travel virtually stress free.
but then yesterday i took the M5 on the route napoleon from cannes via grasse to digne, put everything into attack mode, superfast shifting mode etc....and the world was different. it came to life being a perfect match to the wonderful route napoleon tarmac with its fast curves, long stretches of straights and a few tight switchbacks. after returning to monte carlo the board computer showed 18.5 liters/100km petrol usage for the day trip.....---))))) but it was definitely worth it.
certainly, i am aware of the fact that the M5 is less apt for very tight mountain roads but it is wonderful on the route napoleon.
i stand by what i have already said: would i buy it again? no. do i regret buying it? no.
off now to the col de turini. will report back afterwards.
peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
So, following this forum for a long time now, and having an M5 placed on order for ED in May I start to wonder.

Did BMW screw up on the M5? It seems to be having mixed reviews from members on this forum. So say its to heavy, others say its just perfect.

I test drove the M5 before ordering it, I liked it, but what can a 10min test drive prove? So my question is... do you like it? Would you order it again, is the car worth every penny paid for?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

i dont regret buying the m5. i like it alot better than the cls63 i owned, but if i had my time back theres one other car i would have at least test drove before i bought the m5, thats the panamera gts. as ive heard several reviews that said it was just flat out better than the m5, and i havent heard ANYTHING, other than the looks, negative about the panamera. cant say that about the m5.

Last edited by mainly; 12-29-2012 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #25
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

love mine and all the thumbs up i get. if your looking for a badazz smooth daily here it is.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #26
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Do it, you will not regret it and if you drive manual, do the 6MT..

I love this car and it never ceases to amaze me every day I drive it... It chews up corners like Stealth.Pilot says and the torque in 3rd gear is amazing (may be more so in MT due to 1 less gear?)

I had an 08 m3 vert and this is the closest drive to it out of all I have tried.. I Maserati GTS 2011 vert and that shit was garbage.... Total crap

Do yourself a favor and stop reading articles where the competing manufacturer paid more to show better than the m5. The M group doesn't need to pay off editors, it simply performs...

I am extremely critical of driving precision and cannot stand point and shoot cars like mustangs and corvettes.... You will love this car, gentle when you want to be, rip-roar bloody murderous hell when you crank it...

Wolf in Sheeps clothing for sure , hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
RKJ10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Space Grey

In my mind, every vehicle in the world will have some issues for someone...if you drove the M5 and liked it, you will LOVE it when you own it. There should be no question about it. Enjoy it when it arrives!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
i dont regret buying the m5. i like it alot better than the cls63 i owned, but if i had my time back theres one other car i would have at least test drove before i bought the m5, thats the panamera gts. as ive heard several reviews that said it was just flat out better than the m5, and i havent heard ANYTHING, other than the looks, negative about the panamera. cant say that about the m5.
I can add some negative things about the Panamera for you - cos I did test drive it and decided against it:

1) Weak low-end torque - makes the car just not feel sporty. Once you've gone turbo, you can't go back. The Panamera seemed to have a power lag off the line. On a track this isn't issue because you can keep the revs at 5k+, but in day to day street driving, the car just feels slow because of the power lag at low rpms.

2) DCT is not as precise nor as quick as the one in the M5. It feels a generation older.

3) Car is too quiet with the exception of the exhaust which is better. But I prefer the sound experience of the M5 because you can hear the engine and the induction sound as well as the DCT (can hear DCT in both but sounds better in M5). It is a more comprehensive mechanical acoustic experience.

4) Thin steering wheel just detracts from driving experience. Doesn't give you as good a feeling of control. I would have had to buy an aftermarket steering wheel if I bought the Porsche.

5) Hard to drive with full road attention without a HUD. I had to use the rev gauge in the cluster to shift, and it was hard to shift as precisely as you can with the M-HUD. This to me greatly took away from the ability to use the Panamera as I can the M5. M5 is much more driveable when going all out.

6) Edginess. The M5 has a bit of edginess in the handling department the Porsche doesn't have. While the car has tremendous control, you can also drive it in a more pointy way with intentional oversteer. I think in M Dynamic Mode, the setup is just right in terms of giving you a bit of danger while sufficient safety net. The Porsche doesn't have as good a setting it just feels more neutral and therefore more dull.

7) Porsche's tech lags way behind Audi, and even further behind BMW. It is dated.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone for the new 911s or 4s. The M5 is phenomenal, but I personally would enjoy a smaller, more nimble car. Traction also should be a commodity now days with high performance and what better than AWD?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
750iguymiami
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Enjoy everything I press the start button. You will enjoy the car. Just got delivery of mine a week ago. Impressive ! Got rid of my Merc e63 for it. Better all rounder. Performance galore. In pleased with my decision. Other car is the alpina b7, awesome as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
If I had to do it over again, I would have gone for the new 911s or 4s. The M5 is phenomenal, but I personally would enjoy a smaller, more nimble car. Traction also should be a commodity now days with high performance and what better than AWD?
Funny you say that I'm looking at a 911S 2013 to replace my 650ci, and the 911 will look nice parked next to the M5. Best of both worlds two different cars, but the M5 is a keeper for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #32
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

If I had the opportunity to do things diffently, I wouldn't. So I guess that means I think my car was "worth every penny". I drove the E63, it was a fine sports sedan, but it just didn't click with me. My love affair with Audi was over before it started. I sat in the Panamera, and decided not to drive it, lest I enjoy it too much, because I personally think the car is hideously ugly. These are all personal preferences.

I have zero buyers remorse over the M5. I absolutely love driving it through the twisties, its better than any video game. And for some unexplainable reason I also find myself grinning like an idiot when driving it at 25 mph in a straight line in traffic. I used to hate going to the store for milk, now I'm looking for any reason to run an errand. I love the feel of the steering wheel, the phenomenal seats, the arrangement of the dash/instrumentation, the driving feel of the car, the sounds it makes, the way it looks, everything.

I don't know if this is the car for you, but it was definitely the car for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

I drove and considered the following cars: CLS63 pp, E63 pp, Panamera turbo.

Specifically what I didn't like about the panamera turbo :
poor visibility, seat comfort, rear seating, button layout, cruise etc and it just didn't feel that fast on a roll compared to a CLS63 or E63 with performance package. Never drove the GTS.

Oh yeah and it was fugly.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #34
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

I dont mind the weight. I didnt expect Ferrari 458 handling. If it was lighter, it just wouldnt feel as solid and planted. The extreme amounts of power, coupled with the feel of the steering wheel translating the feel from the tight suspension in addition to all the awesome sounds the exhaust makes (especially an aggressive aftermarket one) all with the kids in the back seat. It is most definitely 2 cars in one. Docile, luxurious, and quiet when you want to be civil with the wife and kids, and with the touch of a few buttons, the car can really transform into an absolute beast, untouchable by most all of the other cars you'd encounter on the road. It definitely works for me.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #35
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Absolutely no regrets here, would buy it again tomorrow and the next day and the next...
      12-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #36
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Zero regret. I would buy it again
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Can anyone explain why the front seats in my F10 M5 don't go back as far as the front seats in my E90 M3? I don't understand why the 3 should have more front passenger legroom.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Can anyone explain why the front seats in my F10 M5 don't go back as far as the front seats in my E90 M3? I don't understand why the 3 should have more front passenger legroom.
This is a great question! I even checked to see if there is a plug on the seat track like the E39 but there is not.

This and cheesy paddle shifters are my biggest complaints.
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #39
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
It is stupid. I think it is to maintain the pretence that the 5 series is a 4 seater and so someone can sit behind the driver, while in the 3 series no one can sit behind the driver if the seat is fully back.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #40
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Hmm would I get another one? Probably not and wait for the M3 sedan. The M5 is just too big for my taste. It is a great car however for those that need a bigger car with balls.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #41
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Would order it over and over again if I had the choice. Only cars I would also consider would be the r8 v10 or 911 turbo s, but they are also way more expensive. The new m3 will be sick but I am not sure if it will be enough power for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #42
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Its an amazing ride, zero regrets. Love it a lot as a daily driver. Its so much car; you can comfortably fit 4, check your email, have a butt massage, and possibly race a 458!

Its a ride I always want in my stable. If the LCI is that different I may just have to upgrade
      12-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #43
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I agree with Top Gear's description of the F10 M5 as "the best all-rounder in the world right now." For me the M5 is the best balance between luxury and performance and as a daily driver with the M5 I get both. There are other great cars in the same league with the M5 so it will come down to personal taste etc.. But if you want a mid-size, very fast and yes, prestigious car, the M5 delivers in spades!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #44
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Last week I test drove the M5, E63, R8 4.2, and 991S back to back.

Honestly, I liked all four of them. For me I would prefer the Porsche because I don't need 4 seats. The E63 was noticeably slower than the M5. The R8 is a lot of fun and sounds so good but the Porsche just runs away from it.

I don't think BMW messed up but I do think they need to get on board with making their cars lighter. Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes are all focusing on that now.