Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Rear spoiler removal.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Chaps,
Has anyone here, removed their rear spoiler themselves ?, and if so, how did you go about it ?. Im wanting to fit the Carbon rear spoiler, and am contemplating doing it myself, thankyou.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Chaps,
Has anyone here, removed their rear spoiler themselves ?, and if so, how did you go about it ?. Im wanting to fit the Carbon rear spoiler, and am contemplating doing it myself, thankyou.
Just did this last week. It is not too bad, followed some tips from a E9X M3 owner:

1. Don't use dental floss or fishing line to remove the OEM spoiler. Use the nylon strapping used to hold packaging together. Go to Staples or Office Depot and ask for some - the'll have it from the boxes left over from the office chairs they build. - EDITED...see that you are in the UK...don't know if you have the two office supply places that I suggested.

2. After the spoiler is off, heat up the remaining tape. I didn't have a heat guy, so I used a hair dryer. Get it started, then use the tape which you removed to grab and remove more tape. The OEM stuff is seriously sticky. Use a rolling and pulling motion. Enjoy the blisters on your fingers once you are done!

3. Clean the trunk well to remove any last bit of residue. I used denatured alcohol, and then immediately used quick detailer to remove any alcohol residue.

4. Tape the inside of the spoiler as shown...be sure to clean it well, and run the tape as close to the edge as possible, and where there is a false edge, set the tape back just a little. To be honest, I think my tape is not quite far enough to the outer edge - the side that fits on the top of the trunk. Get it closer than mine.

5. Test fit before pulling the red backing off the 3M tape. I put painters tape on the rear deck to make sure I had the corners in the proper place and it centered (marked on trunk and spoiler) for reference.

Here are a couple snaps of the taped spoiler, and the results.
Attached Images

'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

M54ccibo,
Thankyou very much for the detailed reply, i appreciate it. Did you mark the paint at all with the packaging cord, when removing ?. After using the supplied adhesive tape provided, does the new, fitted spoiler, feel pretty solid, and stuck down ?. Thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

M54ccibo & Simon H,

I did a similar install on several prior vehicle with this tape material. One thing that M54ccibo probably did, that you may want to do too Simon, is that when you go to apply the piece for the final time you should only start the red backing off from an edge. Don't take it all the way off, but set it to where you can get the red backing once you put the piece in its final place. Then while holding the piece in place pull the rest of the backing off. It will be almost like pulling a zipper out from between two wedged pieces (the car and the spoiler).

If you take all the red backing off and then try to put it on the right spot, you usually only get one shot to position it correctly. If you miss you get a lot of rework. The method I described above is much more forgiving. Hope I explained the method well enough above: sorry I don't have any pictures or videos.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

No problem on the reply. Yes, I forgot to mention the part about not removing the tape all together.

As for how solid the install is, I think it will hold up. Does not move when pulled.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Reviving this thread - I think Ill give it a go and try this DIY for my CRT themed IND MP spoiler. Called a shop but they use Beta-link, would rather not use Beta-Link as Im worried I may not like the CF look.

M54ccibo, any issues since with just using 3M tape? The one i bt looks the same as you - its labeled as a super strength auto adhesive tape from 3M.

Any other tips on install are greatly appreciated, as it looks like youve done it more than once since you had it painted.
      03-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
And are these the nylon straps you are referring to?

04-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Reviving this thread - I think Ill give it a go and try this DIY for my CRT themed IND MP spoiler. Called a shop but they use Beta-link, would rather not use Beta-Link as Im worried I may not like the CF look.

M54ccibo, any issues since with just using 3M tape? The one i bt looks the same as you - its labeled as a super strength auto adhesive tape from 3M.

Any other tips on install are greatly appreciated, as it looks like youve done it more than once since you had it painted.
No issues what so ever. Definitely do not use beta link. The 3M tape works perfectly. If you get the one that I have, it'll be stuck on until you decide to remove it.

I've removed the rear spoiler once before, as I didn't get it set on perfectly, and it was removed and reinstalled when I had it painted AW to match the car. No issues. Also have removed and reinstalled my RKP front lip a few times with no issues.

Good luck! Just be sure to do a dry fit and make sure the tape is in the right places...i.e., all the way to the end of the spoiler and far enough to the edge to grab the trunk when installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
And are these the nylon straps you are referring to?

Something like this:

http://www.uline.com/BL_2751/Uline-Poly-Strapping

Had some laying around.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Just did this last week. It is not too bad, followed some tips from a E9X M3 owner:

1. Don't use dental floss or fishing line to remove the OEM spoiler. Use the nylon strapping used to hold packaging together. Go to Staples or Office Depot and ask for some - the'll have it from the boxes left over from the office chairs they build. - EDITED...see that you are in the UK...don't know if you have the two office supply places that I suggested.

2. After the spoiler is off, heat up the remaining tape. I didn't have a heat guy, so I used a hair dryer. Get it started, then use the tape which you removed to grab and remove more tape. The OEM stuff is seriously sticky. Use a rolling and pulling motion. Enjoy the blisters on your fingers once you are done!

3. Clean the trunk well to remove any last bit of residue. I used denatured alcohol, and then immediately used quick detailer to remove any alcohol residue.

4. Tape the inside of the spoiler as shown...be sure to clean it well, and run the tape as close to the edge as possible, and where there is a false edge, set the tape back just a little. To be honest, I think my tape is not quite far enough to the outer edge - the side that fits on the top of the trunk. Get it closer than mine.

5. Test fit before pulling the red backing off the 3M tape. I put painters tape on the rear deck to make sure I had the corners in the proper place and it centered (marked on trunk and spoiler) for reference.

Here are a couple snaps of the taped spoiler, and the results.

Taped up the spoiler tonight just like yours and I will test fit it tomorrow. I noticed you only have one strip of tape, does the spoiler sit at angle angle such that the inner portion of the spoiler won't even touch the trunk lid? I was wondering if I should use two rows of tape on the side touching the trunk.
Appreciate 0