BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

LCI Daytime running lights within EU

I'm not a fan of daytime running lights, however, the option in idrive to deselect them is missing in my car (although it's described in the LCI handbook).

When I was last at the dealership we looked at a showroom M5 with LEDs and again the option in idrive to deselect them was missing.

Question put to BMW Product Marketing (UK), response being: -

"Daytime Driving Lights cannot be de-selected on the M5 LCI as this car was homologated after the EU legislation came into force meaning that the DDL’s must remain on at all times"

So looks like daytime running lights are now compulsory in the EU. I haven't seen another LCI F10 in the UK to confirm this. Those of us in the EU with LCIs, do you have the same? Did the non-M F10 escape this change?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I'm not a fan of daytime running lights, however, the option in idrive to deselect them is missing in my car (although it's described in the LCI handbook).

When I was last at the dealership we looked at a showroom M5 with LEDs and again the option in idrive to deselect them was missing.

Question put to BMW Product Marketing (UK), response being: -

"Daytime Driving Lights cannot be de-selected on the M5 LCI as this car was homologated after the EU legislation came into force meaning that the DDL’s must remain on at all times"

So looks like daytime running lights are now compulsory in the EU. I haven't seen another LCI F10 in the UK to confirm this. Those of us in the EU with LCIs, do you have the same? Did the non-M F10 escape this change?
My LCI DRL's can NOT be switched off.
I quite like the new look with the Eyebrows lit, they look good IMO.
      10-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

New EU-legislation in force now means that any new car type approved/homologated now needs to have DRL on. Earlier it wasn't mandatory, and could be switched off.

Some car models might still be sold with the option of turning them off since they have been type approved before the "cut off date" and therefore have a valid type approval for some time still. It depends on how the legislation is written. Like the Pedestrian Protection legislation which meant that the design and construction had to comply with strict demands. That legislation only came into force on new models, since otherwise it would have meant that a complete redesign of an existing model would be needed. That's why no E60 needs to comply with Pedestrian Protection even though the legislation became law before 2010. So a 2009 E60 doesn't need to comply, but if someone introduced a new model in 2009 it would have to comply.

With DRL I suspect there is a "by the latest" date, since there is no need to redesign the car to comply with the DRL legislation (it doesn't need to have dedicated DRL lights, main headlamps can also be used as DRL).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

DRL's FTMFW!
incidentally, you probably would be able to code it out.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
incidentally, you probably would be able to code it out.
I'm just going to accept it as it's legislative, although does make you wonder how will it be enforced
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I'm just going to accept it as it's legislative, although does make you wonder how will it be enforced
DRL has been mandatory in the Scandinavian countries since the '90ies (or something). Everyone drives with lights on here, and the Police and DMV (depending on in which country you live in) can pull you over or fine you for not using DRL. Normally you will just be told in a friendly way to switch your lights on though.
Appreciate 0