Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Some questions

Hello all,

I am currently on my 3rd BMW (2011 F10 535) and am thinking of getting an M5. Few questions though if you could help I would be grateful.

1) I cannot seem to find the base Invoice price of the 2014 M5. Does anyone know what it is?

2) What can I expect as a reasonable price over invoice? I have a better feel for this on the regular 5's, not sure how the M5 compares. I would have to order the car and want the Executive, Assistance, LED, B&O, 20" Wheels.

3) Based on what I have read, there are very favorable comments regarding the 7 speed DCT. How does it work in stop and go traffic though?, especially in Automatic mode. I am going to take an M5 for a test drive but wanted to get your feedback none the less.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ghueser; 10-18-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

I'll answer # 3 for you. It's absolutely amazing. I don't know if you ever have had a SMG, but this is night/day in comparison. In Auto mode with the setting turned down to low, there is absolutely no way to tell you are in a DCT car. It is just as good as a normal automatic car. I have had my M5 for a year and I am still impressed by this transmission. I had the SMG in my E60 M5 and its amazing how far transmission technology has advanced.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
CFisher
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black Sapphire

I'd say know what you're willing to pay BEFORE the test drive.

Then crumple all that up b/c the test drive'll ruin all your plans.

Don't know as you're going to be able to beat dealers up too much on this one with invoice talk unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
3) Based on what I have read, there are very favorable comments regarding the 7 speed DCT. How does it work in stop and go traffic though?, especially in Automatic mode. I am going to take an M5 for a test drive but wanted to get your feedback none the less.
You can hardly feel the changes in the DCT (whereas you can with the 8 speed); absolutely no problems with the DCT in stop/start traffic - it remains very smooth. There is no inherent creep with the DCT, although there is a function that allows you to creep if you gently prod the throttle pedal, so no issues at parking speeds either. If you try very hard you can get a DCT equipped car to roll backwards, but it's nothing like as bad as say the E46 SMG. As an automatic alone I have found the DCT performance superior to the 8 speed F10; add to that all the other features of DCT, it will be one of the stand out items when comparing to an F10 auto.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
You can hardly feel the changes in the DCT (whereas you can with the 8 speed); absolutely no problems with the DCT in stop/start traffic - it remains very smooth. There is no inherent creep with the DCT, although there is a function that allows you to creep if you gently prod the throttle pedal, so no issues at parking speeds either. If you try very hard you can get a DCT equipped car to roll backwards, but it's nothing like as bad as say the E46 SMG. As an automatic alone I have found the DCT performance superior to the 8 speed F10; add to that all the other features of DCT, it will be one of the stand out items when comparing to an F10 auto.
Wow, thanks for the detail. Although an amazing transmission, the 8 speed ZF does have it's faults. Epsecially the part throttle jerk I occasionally get driving away from stoplights. Good to know that the DCT works well in those situations.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered an M last night

Well as you warned me, the test drive reeled me in! Can't remember any cars I've owned in the past that were this fun to drive. Now the wait and the anticipation of tracking like I did my 2011 535. As always a great forum with a lot of good information. Thanks

Alpine White
Executive
Drivers assist
20" Wheels
LED
B&O
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Well as you warned me, the test drive reeled me in! Can't remember any cars I've owned in the past that were this fun to drive. Now the wait and the anticipation of tracking like I did my 2011 535. As always a great forum with a lot of good information. Thanks

Alpine White
Executive
Drivers assist
20" Wheels
LED
B&O
donno if its included in executive package, but get M MULTIFUNCTIONAL SEATS!!! MUST

most comfy seats ever
Appreciate 0