Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Help - Removal of Grille with Night Vision

Was helping my buddy remove his grille today and was unable to remove the drivers side which has the NV camera mounted. We were able to release all of the clips on the grille, but still couldn't get it out. Felt like there was still something holding it in, but was unable to see what. Anyone know how this is done?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
Was helping my buddy remove his grille today and was unable to remove the drivers side which has the NV camera mounted. We were able to release all of the clips on the grille, but still couldn't get it out. Felt like there was still something holding it in, but was unable to see what. Anyone know how this is done?
What year M5, LCI model? Not sure if this helps, see last post. Otherwise, you may consider contacting IND and see if they can help you out. Good guys there.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch
Quote:
What year M5, LCI model? Not sure if this helps, see last post. Otherwise, you may consider contacting IND and see if they can help you out. Good guys there.
It is actually my friends 535, but since hardly anyone opted for night vision on non-M cars, I figured I would post on the M5 forums. Seems like a lot more M5 guys splurged and got this option.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
It is actually my friends 535, but since hardly anyone opted for night vision on non-M cars, I figured I would post on the M5 forums. Seems like a lot more M5 guys splurged and got this option.
I think the link may still help since the grills are the same. However, there's a difference in removing the LCI version vs. pre-LCI version. At least on the M5 models. If that doesn't help, than I suggest you try to contact one of the IND people on this site who are vendors. They are very approachable and helpful.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I have tried many times... I gave up. Boots was going to help me install the RPi scoops but then I had the Dinan intakes installed ( has similar scoops) so I have no need to take the grills off any more.
      12-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I have night vision on my car (2015 LCI version) and did a grill swap out to fit the IND ones in. There is a screw nut that you have to remove from the top of the car that holds onto a bracket with the front grill. I yanked mine out previously (old grill) and broke a tab. But you can learn from my lesson.

Open the hood. Remove the rubber grommet from the front bumper on the driver side with night vision (you don't have to take off the whole thing, just lift 25% of it up to move it out of the way). There is a plastic housing that covers the headlight assembly. This housing covers where the hood hooks into to close.

You want to pop off 2 plastic tabs of the plastic housing so you can lift that up. It will expose a hole near where the bumper and where your night vision assembly would be. You need to remove this 1 hex nut. I used a driver and extension to unfasten it. After that is removed, use two hands grab the grill and yank it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable229
Quote:
I have night vision on my car (2015 LCI version) and did a grill swap out to fit the IND ones in. There is a screw nut that you have to remove from the top of the car that holds onto a bracket with the front grill. I yanked mine out previously (old grill) and broke a tab. But you can learn from my lesson.

Open the hood. Remove the rubber grommet from the front bumper on the driver side with night vision (you don't have to take off the whole thing, just lift 25% of it up to move it out of the way). There is a plastic housing that covers the headlight assembly. This housing covers where the hood hooks into to close.

You want to pop off 2 plastic tabs of the plastic housing so you can lift that up. It will expose a hole near where the bumper and where your night vision assembly would be. You need to remove this 1 hex nut. I used a driver and extension to unfasten it. After that is removed, use two hands grab the grill and yank it out.
Thanks. I will take a peek next time I am with my buddy. If you can snap s pic pointing to the point fact location you are referring to, that would be awesome. Thanks again

Last edited by bake; 12-28-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Thanks. I will take a peek next time Zi am with my buddy. If you can snap s pic pointing to the point fact location you are referring to, that would be awesome. Thanks again

You want to remove the screw from the hole below the plastic.

Last edited by variable229; 12-28-2014 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0