M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Thanks RPI, I knew you'd come through . I bet your car pulls like a freight train on 3.5. And, I thought you knew I was running straight pipes! LOL, Im running supersprint catless DP, resonator delete, and turner exhaust. Also, I strolled upon this video the other day. I wonder who's car this is .

I can assure you it sounds exactly the same LOL. I do need to get some good videos up though. Even this Video does not it justice for how sick it sounds in person.
Oh jeez, I guess I should be more careful on who I let film me and my car. Lol!

Yeah the car pulls like the Space Shuttle pretty much. Haha! That's why I keep LOL'ing when people talk about Stock or modded M4's being able to beat the M5 either stock or modded in a straightline race. Just aint gonna happen.

You know what, I do remember someone running catless downpipes with the Turner exhaust and Resonator Delete, I guess I forgot it was you. But yeah, 3.5psi and I've been running now for a few thousand miles with the tune, no problems. Car runs great and I'm confident that the stock ECU tune can compensate for the richer A/F Ratio no problem. Been running Catless Downpipes now for exactly 1 year and over 20,000 miles, not a single problem. I think I'm the only M5 owner in the world who has run catless that long. Most other people who have run catless for any length of time have probably sold their M5 or M6 by now. Lol!

Yeah I need to get motivated on my next video too. I have all the good high quality sound and video equipment, just haven't been motivated.
Wow your car sounds amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #24
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Several engineers including Steve Dinan said the safe limit of the stock rods and pistons was 650whp . I wouldn't use more than the 3.5 setting on the new firmware . 4.5 psi no way in hell especially since someone has had documented detonation with misfire codes running high octane .
My two cents .
I've never heard of any detonation codes! Those would absolutely indicate too low of an octane for the boost being run. Have you? Link? I'd be curious to read about the circumstances.

Misfire codes on the other hand are common around the 650whp power level especially with methanol injection. A misfire code just means the spark blew out before it was able to ignite the mix. There is no proven fix currently but most tuners think the solution will be as simple as closing the gap in the plugs a touch, or perhaps aftermarket plugs that are slightly more recessed.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #25
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wish BMS would post up something regarding what boost setting they recommend for which octane.
There are for sure mixed reviews on what to set what at.
I've contacted BMS numerous times and never get a straight answer.
Where is everyone getting their info at or is everyone using their own judgment ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'm running 3.5 with full straightpipes and 93 Octane. Performance is great and no problems. BMS is solid.

How did I not know you were running full straightpipe?. Are you running RPi also or custom? Also, how come I've never seen video of your car before. I want to see and hear it! Lol!
Think 3.5 would be ok Daily driving for a little longer with stock exhuast? I'd really like to see another 1.3lbs of boost looks like
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17 View Post
Wow your car sounds amazing
Thanks bro!

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #28
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Appreciate your input Gmd. Im gonna stick on 3 for a while and let it adapt.
Always best to let it adapt for a little while.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #29
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
I wish BMS would post up something regarding what boost setting they recommend for which octane.
There are for sure mixed reviews on what to set what at.
I've contacted BMS numerous times and never get a straight answer.
Where is everyone getting their info at or is everyone using their own judgment ?
They did in Terry's forum 2.2lbs was standard for a long time then he got the car and told me 3lbs is fine if you can always get 93... He said don't go past 4lbs without race gas and only for the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #30
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
They did in Terry's forum 2.2lbs was standard for a long time then he got the car and told me 3lbs is fine if you can always get 93... He said don't go past 4lbs without race gas and only for the track.
K. Thanks. I'll search for that forum topic
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #31
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
K. Thanks. I'll search for that forum topic
It's probably best to look early on in the m5 part of his forum... Because once he got the car we were all curious.

I've run 2.2lbs no problem for almost 20k so now that 3 seems to be standard I'm sure I'd just run that.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #32
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Yeah would be great to get some official numbers from terry...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #33
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Running 3.0 on 91 octane. No issues
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #34
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
There are very specific directions that have to do with your firmware date. BMS only posts on their own forum. So if you have any questions this is where you'd need to ask.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...89&postcount=1

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #35
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Quote:
Several engineers including Steve Dinan said the safe limit of the stock rods and pistons was 650whp . I wouldn't use more than the 3.5 setting on the new firmware . 4.5 psi no way in hell especially since someone has had documented detonation with misfire codes running high octane .
My two cents .
Where are you getting this info?

On my M6 I've been running BMS stage 1 new firmware 100 octane 5lb boost increase with no issues and airfuels low 12's for quite some time.

been running 93 pump 50/50 meth mix 5lb boost increase no issues what's so ever with plenty of miles.

Went to 93 pump 100% meth mix 6lb boost increase with air fuels low 12's high 11's as the gears increase up top RPM, also no issues.

Now have been running 100 octane 100% meth mix 6lb boost increase with no issues and airfuels still low 12's high 11's as gears increase.

Also have 2014 M5 with stage 1 BMS stock everything except K&N filters carbon filter delete running 93 pump 4 lb boost increase no issues

The only thing I can think oF FoR someone to be having misfire codes is because they're not letting the car adapt to the new boost increase. Every time I raised boost I would do a third gear pull as I would slowly get into the throttle so the MAFs get a good reading. After a couple third gear pulls I would do a fourth gear pull ect. As I watched my airfuels they would get richer by every individual pull.

Since this day I havent had any misfire codes and if I did believe me Terry would have been the first to know as well as posted on n54tech forum.

Good luck guys!

Last edited by m6beast; 06-16-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #36
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast
Quote:
My two cents .
Where are you getting this info?

On my M6 I've been running BMS stage 1 new firmware 100 octane 5lb boost increase with no issues and airfuels low 12's for quite some time.

been running 93 pump 50/50 meth mix 5lb boost increase no issues what's so ever with plenty of miles.

Went to 93 pump 100% meth mix 6lb boost increase with air fuels low 12's high 11's as the gears increase up top RPM, also no issues.

Now have been running 100 octane 100% meth mix 6lb boost increase with no issues and airfuels still low 12's high 11's as gears increase.

Also have 2014 M5 with stage 1 BMS stock everything except K&N filters carbon filter delete running 93 pump 4 lb boost increase no issues

The only thing I can think oF FoR someone to be having misfire codes is because they're not letting the car adapt to the new boost increase. Every time I raised boost I would do a third gear pull as I would slowly get into the throttle so the MAFs get a good reading. After a couple third gear pulls I would do a fourth gear pull ect. As I watched my airfuels they would get richer by every individual pull.

Since this day I havent had any misfire codes and if I did believe me Terry would have been the first to know as well as posted on n54tech forum.

Good luck guys!
The 650whp info being the safe limit was from Steve Dinan during a pod cast for what it's worth . As far as people with misfire codes the issue has been high settings over 4 psi on pump gas and octane booster . That's not = 100 octane and certainly not 100 octane and meth like you are using now . That's a whole diff ball game . For people without technical knowledge or any logging equipment pushing the limit on pump gas with octane booster is probably not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #37
SlashM6
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 vert loaded

We'll let me ask u this pushing the limit with 110 and meth be okay?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #38
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashM6 View Post
We'll let me ask u this pushing the limit with 110 and meth be okay?
Remember when using the BMS stage 1 with meth integration doesn't mean the car will boost 6lb boost every time. When I logged my M6 some runs would show right at 19-20 lbs and some would be around 21 or so depending on conditions.

As for my M5 I'm running BMS stage 1 with 93 octane and 4lb boost increase with no issues. Anytime I've raised the boost I would let the car adapt to the boost. Not killinging it or downshifting at first.

I would do a third gear pull starting off by getting into full throttle easy and let off at the end of the gear. I would do this a couple of times on the highway and then do the same in fourth gear.

The way I noticed this was from watching my air fuels as the first run would be pretty lean to the next would start to richen up. Also remember as the car would sit it would recalculate and as the days past the richer it got.

I feel people are just jumping in there cars and thinking the car will adapt with a turn of the ignition. They have to be as smart as their car and let it adapt with time and patience.

Hope this helps and good luck. Love my BMS can't wait for terry to push this thing into a JB4

Here's a new link I posted
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...d=1#post315088

Last edited by m6beast; 06-17-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #39
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
As for my M5 I'm running BMS stage 1 with 93 octane and 4lb boost increase with no issues. Anytime I've raised the boost I would let the car adapt to the boost. Not killinging it or downshifting at first.
Would you say its ok for DD at 3.5lbs stock exhaust setup, with charcoal deletes?

Don't you need to kinda get on it though to trigger the underboosting? I mean its not like a flash tune you can gradually work in... If you're not triggering the boost its not going to adapt right?

Quote:
The 650whp info being the safe limit was from Steve Dinan during a pod cast for what it's worth . As far as people with misfire codes the issue has been high settings over 4 psi on pump gas and octane booster . That's not = 100 octane and certainly not 100 octane and meth like you are using now . That's a whole diff ball game . For people without technical knowledge or any logging equipment pushing the limit on pump gas with octane booster is probably not a good idea.
He's also trying to sell parts that typically have lower outputs than competition so I'm sure he'd want to say he's as close to max as possible... Granted I think the engine is much more capable than the DCT [As amazing as it is and was on the e92, I've not seen much info on the net about them getting over 700whp, so their might be some credence to that]

Wouldn't be good for business if he hopped on the air and said we're offering a package for 650crank, but the internals of the DCT and Engine can take 850hp lol

Last edited by M5Rlz; 06-18-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #40
m6beast
Captain
Rep

When I was talking about 1 gear pulls I meant full open throttle. What I meant by easing into it was so the MAFs get a better reading then just slamming the gas.
You're still flooring it just not in the begining for like a sec so the MAFs are getting a good smooth reading. after adaptation you can stomp on the gas how ever you want and when you want through any gear.

As for my M5 is a DD with stock everything running 4lb boost and 93 octane with no issues. Running it hard but most of the time been cruising. Still catted so will heat soak faster. Will do DPs very soon.

th
Quote:
Would you say its ok for DD at 3.5lbs stock exhaust setup, with charcoal deletes?

Don't you need to kinda get on it though to trigger the underboosting? I mean its not like a flash tune you can gradually work in... If you're not triggering the boost its not going to adapt right?

He's also trying to sell parts that typically have lower outputs than competition so I'm sure he'd want to say he's as close to max as possible... Granted I think the engine is much more capable than the DCT [As amazing as it is and was on the e92, I've not seen much info on the net about them getting over 700whp, so their might be some credence to that]

Wouldn't be good for business if he hopped on the air and said we're offering a package for 650crank, but the internals of the DCT and Engine can take 850hp lol

Last edited by m6beast; 06-18-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #41
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When I was talking about 1 gear pulls I meant full open throttle. What I meant by easing into it was so the MAFs get a better reading then just slamming the gas.
You're still flooring it just not in the begining so the MAFs are getting a good smooth reading. after adaptation you can stomp on the gas how ever you want and when you want through any gear.

As for my M5 is a DD with stock everything running 4lb boost and 93 octane with no issues. Running it hard but most of the time been cruising. Still catted so will heat soak faster. Will do DPs very soon.

th
Would you think I'll notice a difference upping it from 2.2 to 3.5/4?

Also is the firmware version that of the car found in the idrive somewhere or the firmware of terry's software?

Last edited by M5Rlz; 06-18-2014 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #42
m6beast
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Would you think I'll notice a difference upping it from 2.2 to 3.5/4?

Also is the firmware version that of the car found in the idrive somewhere or the firmware of terry's software?
Yeah you'll notice a difference. The firmware is through Terry that you upload on the JB3. Is that what you're asking me?

When you open the jb3 on your laptop you change the boost settings and save them. After that run the car the way I said in previous post to adapt. Do some datalogs so you can see the difference of the boost maybe even datalog before and after.
Let me know if I answered your questions
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #43
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you'll notice a difference. The firmware is through Terry that you upload on the JB3. Is that what you're asking me?

When you open the jb3 on your laptop you change the boost settings and save them. After that run the car the way I said in previous post to adapt. Do some datalogs so you can see the difference of the boost maybe even datalog before and after.
Let me know if I answered your questions
You did
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #44
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Im using the Jb4 firmware. I have the N63-2 model, is there any difference?
Appreciate 0