M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
mauricef
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black/Black

Perfect Friday

So I am sitting in the left turn lane about make a left turn. As I approach the turn someone in the straight lane whose light has not yet turned green decides he want to make a left turn an side swipes me. He say I must have been speeding down the left lane because he did not see me. I don't think I will ever get another black car. Everyone I've owned has been hit in broad daylight by people saying they did not see me.

Any guesses on what this repair will cost and the diminished value of my car that only has 3500 miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Aw I'm sorry man. That just sucks. I have a two lane turning light near my house and people cut off the 1st lane every time. The world is littered with sh*t drivers.

I'm gonna guess $6k for repairs. Be sure to really hunt for a quality repair shop for perfect paint matching.

This reminds me I need to do my diminished value claim as well. Got rear ended at a stop sign on the 3rd day of ownership
      06-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Get it fixed by a BMW certified shop. Just cosmetic. No need to report the crash. Unless there is frame damage...

I think $7k is a good guess. Especially if wheel needs replaced.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

I'd venture closer to $10K... new door skin (looks like it was dented pretty bad), new rim, repair of quarter panel and new rear bumper cover (looks like it was chunked out in some spots -hard to tell on pics).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
mauricef
Rep

If you open the rear door the inside frame is also dented. I am wondering how they fix this.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
If you open the rear door the inside frame is also dented. I am wondering how they fix this.
They can straighten the sheet metal or worst case, cut and re-weld a new section. Just adds to the cost. Need to make sure you have a good body shop who knows what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
More like $15k if the door frame is dented. My 535i was Tboned by some bitch texting her way through a 4 way stop. She was driving a G37, her husbands. She admitted texting and said she was sorry she wasn't paying attention. When her husband arrived she told the cops I had run the stop sign. Didn't work, it was obvious she ran into me but it had to go before an independent insurance review board.

Anyway, the side airbags deployed and the door frame was cut and replaced. The total cost was $11, 800 and her insurance paid for all of it. I never got a diminished value claim and it cost me about $9k on trade in which was a 25% hit on the value of the car. I didn't know about the diminished value claim. If the airbag didn't deploy, there may be no record of it in Carfax and therefore no diminished value. Not completely sure about that but I think that is the case.

As far as you speeding down the left lane, doesn't matter how fast you were going, you had the ROW and the idiot that hit you didn't. He will get the ticket and his insurance will pay. However, it really sucks because you will be without your car for the next month, minimum.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

one million dollars.
sorry bro.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
mauricef
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
More like $15k if the door frame is dented. My 535i was Tboned by some bitch texting her way through a 4 way stop. She was driving a G37, her husbands. She admitted texting and said she was sorry she wasn't paying attention. When her husband arrived she told the cops I had run the stop sign. Didn't work, it was obvious she ran into me but it had to go before an independent insurance review board.

Anyway, the side airbags deployed and the door frame was cut and replaced. The total cost was $11, 800 and her insurance paid for all of it. I never got a diminished value claim and it cost me about $9k on trade in which was a 25% hit on the value of the car. I didn't know about the diminished value claim. If the airbag didn't deploy, there may be no record of it in Carfax and therefore no diminished value. Not completely sure about that but I think that is the case.

As far as you speeding down the left lane, doesn't matter how fast you were going, you had the ROW and the idiot that hit you didn't. He will get the ticket and his insurance will pay. However, it really sucks because you will be without your car for the next month, minimum.

The cop said the same thing. It did not matter if I were standing still or speeding down the lane. It was his responsibility to change lanes safely. He did not give a ticket but only a tongue lashing. He said his day was bad enough. What about mine? He did write in the report that it was clearly his fault. I think he felt sorry for him because he was elderly and spoke little English.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
one million dollars.
sorry bro.
Not even close! Bro.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #11
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Not cool, not cool
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Sorry man. That sucks!

Two things I can share with you:

Blue cars are affected by the 'invisible condition' as well when it comes to crappy drivers.

The bumper alone, which will come unpainted to the BMW certified shop, will be ~$1800 USD to buy, ship, prep, paint, install. That should give you perspective for how much more you are about to get saddled with.

Insurance handles the money, but the bigger problem is going to be how long you are waiting on parts. For me, it was 3 weeks for parts (bumper, lower fascia trim around exhaust tips, and foam underlayment). I didn't drop off the car until all parts were in. Then 2 days at the shop for the install [and I was on their priority list at that point because of the part delay].
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I'd say something in the $10,000 to $12,000 range. You've got three panels plus the wheel. Unfortunately I have recent experience with replacing a rear door (someone backed their trailer hitch receiver into my driver's side rear door - see below) - about $3,000 +/- depending on the labor rate charged. I'd assume the bumper cover is about the same. The wheel is probably just under $1,000. The big piece that can drive to cost up is repairing/replacing the quarter panel.
Attached Images

Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Diminished value is at least $10k maybe as much as $20k because it will be hard to sell privately which forces you to trade it.

Nobody wants to buy an M5 that's been in an accident. If I was buying used I wouldn't touch this car.

Sorry man - this is going to be a tough one to squeeze out of them but you have to do it. You incurred a material loss here.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
mauricef
Rep

Thanks all for the replies. I am not really worried about getting it fixed but since I change cars every three to four years I was wondering about the diminished value. I have already started looking to replace this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

sorry about your luck bro. Although a black car could have been a factor, it's still that guy's fault for not looking when changing lanes. He needed to take responsiblity. Good luck on the fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post

9k diminished value hit on a 535i means it could be a lot more on an M5. My est. of $10-20k seems the right range.

This is why I think everyone should go after diminsihed value. It is a huge material loss on a luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
mauricef
Rep

So I finally got my car back. I took it to the dealer to see what they would give me for it. They said they would give me 70K because of the accident. Wow, thank goodness I live in a state where diminished value is the law. They brought up the Manheim auctions for M5s with similar mileage and said my car would have fetched between 85-87K. They have the exact same car as mine on the showroom floor that they are willing to sell me for invoice and take my car as trade. They will not keep any cars that have been in accident on their lot and will put it up for auction immediately. They said if it sells for more than 70K they will give me the difference. If it sells for less they will eat that. I am thinking of taking them up on the offer.
Appreciate 0