M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #23
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Be happy you don't need to travel out of LAX. They ticket cars with no front plate WHILE PARKED in the airport parking garages!

I gave in a few years back and just put the front plate on. Looks ugly but it's better than dealing with city of LA fix it tickets all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #24
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

What is your state of residence? I changed mine from CA to FL for two reasons... Tax free and no front plates! If you register the car to another state you will not get any grief from base gates or texas police/ highway patrol.
      02-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #25
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
What is your state of residence? I changed mine from CA to FL for two reasons... Tax free and no front plates! If you register the car to another state you will not get any grief from base gates or texas police/ highway patrol.
I thought about doing the same, but we don't own a house in FL so can't imagine how I could get it done out of state. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
This is the route we take with most of our customers who want a clean look without a plate, and don't want to catch tickets when they are parked.

When retracted:
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #27
M5KRZI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M - Retired

yeah...this is annoying, some of us don't have a choice...BMW does sell a front plate mount that doesn't look too bad. think its a standard dealer install for the states that require a front plate. i had to replace on the company 535 lease i had last year. its like $130. i think.
      02-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I think that you need to listen to the people in TX. As this topic has come up in the past, it's obvious that some "front plate states" enforce the requirement more than others (IL and CA come to mind from previous posts). I'm in MA, a front plate state, and haven't use one on any car for many many years. I've never had a problem here including times when I've been stopped for speeding. But my guess is that that is not the experience of most Texans.

btw, I have to say that all in all, I'd rather be driving the wide open and relatively police-free highways of Texas with a front plate, than the congested, constantly speed-patrolled highways of the northeast without a front plate!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #29
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
I thought about doing the same, but we don't own a house in FL so can't imagine how I could get it done out of state. Any ideas?
Why not just get/keep Kansas plates, since they don't require fronts? When the time comes to renew give them your Ft. Bliss address, and see if they balk, or let you keep it registered.
Some states, such as South Dakota, allow you to keep plates from them as long as you want to keep giving them registration revenue. Virginia, on the other hand, will go after you for state income taxes and car usage taxes if you keep their plates on your car after you have moved.

If you are willing to take risk, you can always register in another state (such as your home of residence state, and then leave the plate off). As far as I know, texas doesn't keep track of which states require front plates and which states don't, so they don't ticket or pull over out of state registered vehicles for this.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...se-plates.html
      02-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #30
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Why not just get/keep Kansas plates, since they don't require fronts? When the time comes to renew give them your Ft. Bliss address, and see if they balk, or let you keep it registered.
Some states, such as South Dakota, allow you to keep plates from them as long as you want to keep giving them registration revenue. Virginia, on the other hand, will go after you for state income taxes and car usage taxes if you keep their plates on your car after you have moved.

If you are willing to take risk, you can always register in another state (such as your home of residence state, and then leave the plate off). As far as I know, texas doesn't keep track of which states require front plates and which states don't, so they don't ticket or pull over out of state registered vehicles for this.

I dont think they can enforce other states' laws, regardless of if they know them or not - just my assumption. I was stopped in NJ with no front plate but once the cop saw the CT registration and told me to go, said he couldnt do anything.

I used to register at my mother's residence in CT for this reason alone, but I deemed the risk was too great for me after Hurricane Sandy flooded my condo's garage (live on Hudson). Although I moved my C63 at the time, many people did not and had their cars totaled.

I didn't want to answer questions regarding why my car was parked in a private spot in NJ if it came to it. No idea how insurance companies investigate claims, but an easy check on me would show my name on the mortgage in NJ and my work in NYC. When I got my M5 i switched everything over because I just didnt want to deal with Geico not honoring my claim should something like Sandy happen again or if my car got stolen, which is also very common in NJ (NJ has it all, shtty weather, potholes, theft, traffic, front plate, no tints).

In all honesty, the US millwork tow mount is a well made piece, and doesnt look half bad to me. It unscrews easily if u want to remove it for any reason.

My suggestion is, get the US millworks mount, if you get pulled over, whip it out and say I ordered this for my move and didnt get the chance to install it. Until then, run with no front plate.

Last edited by PatrickC23; 02-19-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I thought about keeping the KS plates, but to get the tax exemption they want to see orders and current LES, if not I would have to pay the taxes (almost $2000 a year for both vehicles). I going to call FL DMV to see what I can get done if I change home of record to FL. Its currently TX, gotta love the irony!

Does FL have vehicle property tax?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
I thought about keeping the KS plates, but to get the tax exemption they want to see orders and current LES, if not I would have to pay the taxes (almost $2000 a year for both vehicles). I going to call FL DMV to see what I can get done if I change home of record to FL. Its currently TX, gotta love the irony!

Does FL have vehicle property tax?
No vehicle property tax in florida... If you get a new car and its lease, they charge a per month usage tax vs. lump sum up front. If you bring a new car back from overseas assignment, no sales tax charged. No state income tax. All in all a good state to be a military resident of.
      02-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
No vehicle property tax in florida... If you get a new car and its lease, they charge a per month usage tax vs. lump sum up front. If you bring a new car back from overseas assignment, no sales tax charged. No state income tax. All in all a good state to be a military resident of.
Ok, thanks Chris.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #34
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

Yuppety yup, pard'ner. I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area and we haven't installed front plates on either car. I live a couple miles from several police stations and have Never had any trouble locally except for the state troopers on I-20 heading out in west Texas (W of Abilene). Got a warning twice, and he was sure to let me know I was warned before ( I figured they used it as the primary reason to pull me over as I was going the speed limit (cruise control was set). I got a rho-plate and it worked great this last time (for the few times I'll need it). My dealer kept stressing that I need to put the fronts on as they got a bulletin advising them to do so in the face of possible stepped up enforcement. I'll break down if I run into any issues locally around the metroplex. Knock on wood, so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #35
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Agree. This is a good solution.

How is FL tax-free? I have always had to pay sales tax when registering in Florida, which is why I now register in Montana.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #36
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Agree. This is a good solution.

How is FL tax-free? I have always had to pay sales tax when registering in Florida, which is why I now register in Montana.
Sorry... Should have clarified. State income tax free...

There are ways for military to avoid new car sales tax as well if a resident not actually living in the state due to military assignment, but it is challenging.
      02-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I dont think they can enforce other states' laws, regardless of if they know them or not - just my assumption. I was stopped in NJ with no front plate but once the cop saw the CT registration and told me to go, said he couldnt do anything.

I used to register at my mother's residence in CT for this reason alone, but I deemed the risk was too great for me after Hurricane Sandy flooded my condo's garage (live on Hudson). Although I moved my C63 at the time, many people did not and had their cars totaled.

I didn't want to answer questions regarding why my car was parked in a private spot in NJ if it came to it. No idea how insurance companies investigate claims, but an easy check on me would show my name on the mortgage in NJ and my work in NYC. When I got my M5 i switched everything over because I just didnt want to deal with Geico not honoring my claim should something like Sandy happen again or if my car got stolen, which is also very common in NJ (NJ has it all, shtty weather, potholes, theft, traffic, front plate, no tints).

In all honesty, the US millwork tow mount is a well made piece, and doesnt look half bad to me. It unscrews easily if u want to remove it for any reason.

My suggestion is, get the US millworks mount, if you get pulled over, whip it out and say I ordered this for my move and didnt get the chance to install it. Until then, run with no front plate.
This shouldn't be a problem. On your insurance, you can specify the "principal place of garaging" which does not have to be the same state where the car is registered. In this case, NJ is probably higher insurance rates than CT, so they will not bother you at all for a CT registered car insured principally in NJ. If you go the other way, they may question that you are trying to game the insurance rates.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #38
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Should consider that the goal here is not not be pulled over - unnecessarily or not. The fine is really not a huge deal.

Many cops aren't aware of which states don't require front plates so if you're in TX and are driving w/ Florida plates (except for maybe military establishments) they may pull you over prior to being enlightened.

I would rather not put up with the hassle.

On the other hand, I leased my car so I had no problem drilling a frame into the front bumper...may be a different story if I were planning on keeping this baby longer than 3 years.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0