BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Edmguy11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Sand Bags in Trunk wearing out suspension

Well folks, I am one of those brave few who dare to daily drive my vehicle year around in the terrible Alberta Winters we get here in Edmonton.

Today I finally bit the bullet and decided to throw 6 25kg sand bags in my trunk. Up until recently I got by without it, just relying on the fantastic electronics in the car and a set of really good winter tires.

With the sand bags it definitely helps a lot, but my only concern is what damage am I causing my rear suspension having almost 500 lbs permanently in the trunk.

Any thoughts guys??
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

buy a winter beater man.

Jeep XJ for the season
Appreciate 2
STR8-6IX536.00
mister2d155.50
      01-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
buy a winter beater man.

Jeep XJ for the season
To each their own.... I used to be that dude in Edmonton with a corvette I drive like 4 weeks of the year.....and wont go back to that. If I wanted a car to only drive in the Summer, I dont think the M5 would be on my list...

The whole reason I bought the M5 was the idea that one car could do it all... grocery getter, Daily Driver Summer & Winter,track monster, family vehicle..

And it has come through flawlessly in every way.... it's also AMAZING in the winter considering its a RWD sedan with 700hp "im not stock" .

Was manageable without the sand bags in the trunk... but curious as to whether having the sand bags causes any wear on the suspension.. it sure makes it handle a lot better.

Btw I am one of those people who will trade in their M5 for the new version purely for the AWD for winter driving... Although losing my 6spd tranny might be too much for me.....

Last edited by Edmguy11; 01-09-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11 View Post
To each their own.... I used to be that dude in Edmonton with a corvette I drive like 4 weeks of the year.....and wont go back to that. If I wanted a car to only drive in the Summer, I dont think the M5 would be on my list...

The whole reason I bought the M5 was the idea that one car could do it all... grocery getter, Daily Driver Summer & Winter,track monster, family vehicle..

And it has come through flawlessly in every way.... it's also AMAZING in the winter considering its a RWD sedan with 700hp "im not stock" .

Was manageable without the sand bags in the trunk... but curious as to whether having the sand bags causes any wear on the suspension.. it sure makes it handle a lot better.

Btw I am one of those people who will trade in their M5 for the new version purely for the AWD for winter driving... Although losing my 6spd tranny might be too much for me.....
Hey

I also drove my m5 in the winter in edmonton. I have a set of studded nokia hakkapelita's? I think, I'm not sure. I honestly turned my jb4 off for the winter to try and have less torque at low rpm. I find anything past 1/4 throttle most days will just spin the rears.

I don't think you are overloading your suspension yet, but are close. Owners manual should state your max weight based on tire pressure. I know my mercedes has it on the gas cap. I would not load an extra 3 heavy passengers, then put heavy luggage in the trunk. That would definitely put you over.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #5
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11 View Post
Well folks, I am one of those brave few who dare to daily drive my vehicle year around in the terrible Alberta Winters we get here in Edmonton.

Today I finally bit the bullet and decided to throw 6 25kg sand bags in my trunk. Up until recently I got by without it, just relying on the fantastic electronics in the car and a set of really good winter tires.

With the sand bags it definitely helps a lot, but my only concern is what damage am I causing my rear suspension having almost 500 lbs permanently in the trunk.

Any thoughts guys??
Not a suspension expert but 500 pounds of constant weight for months can't be good....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:41 AM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Dude you are fine. The M5 and just about every other BMW is rated at 1,000lbs carrying capacity for a reason. Especially so if you are ok stock suspension.

I have a ton of personal experience with driving the F10 M5 in the snow. The only thing that matters a lot are the quality of the winter tires and that they are in good condition. Just make sure you have great tires on and you're good. It's always been my opinion that the greatest danger about driving on the snow isn't your car but the other idiots who don't have driving skills or don't put on the proper tires for winter conditions. My M5 was almost creamed one time when an SUV running All-Seasons tried to brake behind me and they weren't stopping at all. Luckily the driver had enough sense to serve around me and ended up eating a guard rail instead. I thanked that driver for not hitting me but also yelled at them for not driving with proper winter tires. In the end, although I feel the F10 M5 doesn't need AWD at all for driving on the snow, I was way happier to drive my Fiat Abarth with its FWD and it's lightness and nimbleness on the snow instead.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #7
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

BMW M5 specification:
Weight
Unladen weight EU in kg 1,945
Max. permissible weight in kg 2,410
Permitted load in kg 540
Permitted axle load front/rear in kg 1,180/1,260

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ata/index.html
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

will all that weight in the boot/trunk your over-steer will be awesome fun
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
Hey

I also drove my m5 in the winter in edmonton. I have a set of studded nokia hakkapelita's? I think, I'm not sure. I honestly turned my jb4 off for the winter to try and have less torque at low rpm. I find anything past 1/4 throttle most days will just spin the rears.

I don't think you are overloading your suspension yet, but are close. Owners manual should state your max weight based on tire pressure. I know my mercedes has it on the gas cap. I would not load an extra 3 heavy passengers, then put heavy luggage in the trunk. That would definitely put you over.
Thanks for your response. How are studded tires on icy roads with very little snow cover?

I have thought about studded tires, but problem with Alberta Winters you dont have wintery conditions consistently and I heard a lot of horror stories about studded tires on bare pavement.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
will all that weight in the boot/trunk your over-steer will be awesome fun
Honestly I get heat from people driving this car in the winter... but to me it really is the ULTIMATE driving machine.

Soo much fun drifting around in the snow....

Even tho our cars are powerful enough to drift the same way on pavement on a hot day

Snow is just easier on the tires....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Have you played with reducing the ballast to see if there's any significant difference?
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Get some of these...it will help your snow clearance issues as well. http://trucktracks.com/en/
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #13
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
BMW M5 specification:
Weight
Unladen weight EU in kg 1,945
Max. permissible weight in kg 2,410
Permitted load in kg 540
Permitted axle load front/rear in kg 1,180/1,260

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ata/index.html
Thx Should be good then
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Its only like hauling two big dudes on the back seat.

Increase wear - yes but negligible

These cars are built VERY strong to take road and track punishment (look at the Ring taxis)!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #15
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Just curious did you experiment with different weights or go straight to 500 pounds?

I drove an E60 M5 for 4 years on Bridgestone Blizzak's and now the F10 M5 for 2 years on Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tires.

The Nokian's are easily twice as good as the Bridgestone's. Any moderate incline and I was stuck with the Bridgestone's. Nokian's get me out most situations but still get stuck in heavy snow with any sort of incline.

The Nokian's feel identical to snow tires on dry payment. I haven't damaged the studs.

I think I'll start with 250 pounds and see what it does
      01-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #16
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dude you are fine. The M5 and just about every other BMW is rated at 1,000lbs carrying capacity for a reason. Especially so if you are ok stock suspension.

I have a ton of personal experience with driving the F10 M5 in the snow. The only thing that matters a lot are the quality of the winter tires and that they are in good condition. Just make sure you have great tires on and you're good. It's always been my opinion that the greatest danger about driving on the snow isn't your car but the other idiots who don't have driving skills or don't put on the proper tires for winter conditions. My M5 was almost creamed one time when an SUV running All-Seasons tried to brake behind me and they weren't stopping at all. Luckily the driver had enough sense to serve around me and ended up eating a guard rail instead. I thanked that driver for not hitting me but also yelled at them for not driving with proper winter tires. In the end, although I feel the F10 M5 doesn't need AWD at all for driving on the snow, I was way happier to drive my Fiat Abarth with its FWD and it's lightness and nimbleness on the snow instead.
I have been having issues in my winter here in Alaska. Most of it regarding ice on slopes. I tend to not be able to get up the slope or hill it just spins. So I have to reverse and get motion to be able pass it. Also, starting from a stop light sucks on ice as well I don't get traction until midway and have a line of cars waiting behind me. I run studdless snow tires squared setup. The only other problem I had driving in the snow was when I parked my front rotors or brakes froze up. My car wouldn't move as I thought I got stuck in the snow but there was barely any snow. So I had to use deicer on the front rotors to break the ice.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTeD ///M View Post
I have been having issues in my winter here in Alaska. Most of it regarding ice on slopes. I tend to not be able to get up the slope or hill it just spins. So I have to reverse and get motion to be able pass it. Also, starting from a stop light sucks on ice as well I don't get traction until midway and have a line of cars waiting behind me. I run studdless snow tires squared setup. The only other problem I had driving in the snow was when I parked my front rotors or brakes froze up. My car wouldn't move as I thought I got stuck in the snow but there was barely any snow. So I had to use deicer on the front rotors to break the ice.
You try moving to 3rd or 4th gear which will give less torque at slow speeds? When I had my 13 M5, it was a challenge but you have to work/feather the gas pedal. I'm sure you know this already though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post
You try moving to 3rd or 4th gear which will give less torque at slow speeds? When I had my 13 M5, it was a challenge but you have to work/feather the gas pedal. I'm sure you know this already though.
I always drive in manual and start in 2nd gear to reduce torque from a dead stop. It helps but I still struggle with the ice until I get traction as TC kicks in and cut power until I grip. Other than dead stops or icey slopes that have no gravel it drives good in snow with the snow tires once u get speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #19
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTeD ///M View Post
I always drive in manual and start in 2nd gear to reduce torque from a dead stop. It helps but I still struggle with the ice until I get traction as TC kicks in and cut power until I grip. Other than dead stops or icey slopes that have no gravel it drives good in snow with the snow tires once u get speed.
Try MDM mode to allow more slip in those situations.
      02-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep

I recently added 5x44 pound bags of small rocks for 220lbs total. Makes a significant difference. My car no longer has a floating feeling on unpacked snow. It's digging in much more easily and providing lots more traction.

I changed the throttle from sport to sport + as I needed too much pedal travel to get going with the added weight.

There's a bouncy effect at highway speeds when going through small bumps that wasn't there before. Might need to try different suspension settings.

I will try taking out a bag or two and see what the trade off is.
      02-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also if you don't have euro MDM, get it coded. It's a must.