M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #67
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the new M5 is sick!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #68
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

stats dont look right ctsv was 3.9 0 to 60 who came up with those stats over 4?, bmw?
and a 4.4 0 to 60 for the M5 is unacceptable. had to break the 4 second mark for me to want to buy. my M3 can beat that and seat 5 and looks better and is a whole lot less. no thanks BMW i will pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #69
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 CP 6MT, '13 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post

I bet if the M5 was an actual piece of shit on wheels it would still attract the fanbois. I think the M5 looks great overall, but they could've done some things differently. I do not like the fender vents, I think the stock 5 series hood is ugly and the M5 should've been given its own unique hood. The wheels could've been a lot nicer then M6 look a like wheels from the previous generation. I'm sure its gonna be a great pkge, but there are other cars out there that give you just as much if not more. And the CTS-V coupe really has to be seen in person to appreciate its look. Some may not like it because they are afraid to be different and need a conservative looking car so they dont stick out(insecurities). Or they HAVE to be seen in an import because god forbid someone sees them in anything domestic. But its a great car that will not break the bank, especially compared to the new $100K super sedans.
I am hoping the extensive aftermarket community for BMWs will take care of the conservative look of the M5. Perhaps a vented hood, some side skirts, who knows. I think with some slight mods the F10 could be VERY aggressive, but in an elegant manner.

Do want!

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #70
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post

I bet if the M5 was an actual piece of shit on wheels it would still attract the fanbois. I think the M5 looks great overall, but they could've done some things differently. I do not like the fender vents, I think the stock 5 series hood is ugly and the M5 should've been given its own unique hood. The wheels could've been a lot nicer then M6 look a like wheels from the previous generation. I'm sure its gonna be a great pkge, but there are other cars out there that give you just as much if not more. And the CTS-V coupe really has to be seen in person to appreciate its look. Some may not like it because they are afraid to be different and need a conservative looking car so they dont stick out(insecurities). Or they HAVE to be seen in an import because god forbid someone sees them in anything domestic. But its a great car that will not break the bank, especially compared to the new $100K super sedans.
This. I've gone from and E60 BMW to a CTS-V and I will definitely give the F10 M5 a strong look when it finally makes it to the States. But an awful lot of people on this forum are kidding themselves if they think that the CTS-V is not a legitimate contender for the king of current production sports sedans. The V's style is admittedly polarizing (though definitely not boring), the fit and finish is nowhere near BMW or Merc standards, but the V is simply phenomenal on the track as well as being a very comfortable road car. You don't lap the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes by accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #71
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 CP 6MT, '13 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Should be Spring-Summer next year.
Ugh..not soon enough!

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #72
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by King335i View Post
I am hoping the extensive aftermarket community for BMWs will take care of the conservative look of the M5. Perhaps a vented hood, some side skirts, who knows. I think with some slight mods the F10 could be VERY aggressive, but in an elegant manner.

Do want!
But why should we be looking to them to make the car look something?. The thing is dreadfully heavy and there is no getting away from, it will perform In A Straight Line but who would buy one over the new up coming M3?. Not me.
Mercedes have overtaken BMW in the weight to power stakes, it will soon be felt IMO.
      06-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #73
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Fair enough, but don't you think 'agility' is a bit of a joke, considering it weighs more than the Benz?

BTW I don't like the Panamera in terms of exterior design. I'd choose the M5 in a heartbeat. A bit biased I know....
Agility is not solely based on weight factor. Design of the vehicle performance in terms of agility is based on multiple variables such as how the vehicle weight transfers during cornering/acceleration, how steering matches the vehicle characteristics, tires, suspension settings, list goes on. Although there hasn't been any reviews of them, according to past traditions, I'm pretty sure BMW will take the agility factor. 50 pounds will hardly justify the nimble-ness of a vehicle anyway.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #74
SG335Xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 SG 335Xi

The Cadillac TQ is listed as "551HP" in the specs... <nitpicking.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #75
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Agility is not solely based on weight factor. Design of the vehicle performance in terms of agility is based on multiple variables such as how the vehicle weight transfers during cornering/acceleration, how steering matches the vehicle characteristics, tires, suspension settings, list goes on. Although there hasn't been any reviews of them, according to past traditions, I'm pretty sure BMW will take the agility factor. 50 pounds will hardly justify the nimble-ness of a vehicle anyway.
I hope so...seriously.But they're both way too heavy anyway.

Look at the 1900+kgs Veyron vs a 'lightweight' 1139kg Macca F1.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #76
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
I hope so...seriously.But they're both way too heavy anyway.

Look at the 1900+kgs Veyron vs a 'lightweight' 1139kg Macca F1.
yeah.. cars these days are pigs...........

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #77
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
But why should we be looking to them to make the car look something?. The thing is dreadfully heavy and there is no getting away from, it will perform In A Straight Line but who would buy one over the new up coming M3?. Not me.
Mercedes have overtaken BMW in the weight to power stakes, it will soon be felt IMO.
How's your 550i? If you like it, you will like the M5. Chances are it will weigh roughly the same or a bit more but with a more sophisticated differential and suspension setup. I'm gambling on this car handling pretty well considering the amount of testing performed on the N-ring
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #78
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

after all that redesign development bmw cant produce a car that beats the E63 off the line? SAD AND PATHETIC
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #79
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

The front end of the E63 sort of looks like a Transformer... Not saying that's bad, just unique...
M5 FTW
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #80
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL View Post
How on earth CTS-V could be a big rival to BMW, MB or Audi?
You mean apart from "by the numbers" wherein the CTS-V beats the old M5, the E63 and the S6 in virtually every relevant performance category?

For the amount of time and money BMW expended to beat the CTS-V, the F10 M5 bloody well better be faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #81
srt8/bmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe-Space Gray

well thats three wickedly nice cars.

couple of thoughts:

- looks are subjective- in that comparo I would take the M5, followed by the V.

-As for performance- obviously they are all three amazing, and very close, and can be modified to be even better.

-for value- not much of a contest there. The V is world class performance for reasonable dollars.

-I am confident the new M5 is undersrated/stated...

And for those celebrating better ring times than the V- I wouldn't think that will last long. A smaller production pulley, slightly more aggressive tune, ceramic brakes- the V will be there. Then, in turn- a couple of small tweaks to the M5- right back in front again.
      06-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #82
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by King335i View Post
I get shouted at and stopped and accosted every time I take the car out, people love it and want to know what it is. A fine ass girl pulled up next to me yesterday and started to tell me how much she liked my car and how sexy I look in it lol.
That's because you drive the damn coupe.
You are comparing the beauty and the beast.

The sedan looked awesome for about a year. It quickly got old.
Coupe on the other hand, shouldn't be badged as Cadillac. That thing is on my top 3 list for my next car next to S5/E550 Coupe.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #83
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I find it very interesting that the turbocharged M5 makes it's peak torque at 1,500 RPM, whereas the supercharged Caddy makes it's torque peak at 3,800 RPM. So much for turbo lag and instant supercharger power.

Also....post fuel economy numbers in the chart.

The CTS peak torque is higher than the M5's.. it could still be making more torque than M5 at 1500 RPM
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #84
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

This is a joke - The more I read about upcoming models, them more it seems BMW is heading down the toilet.

MB has reduced weight, improved power, efficiency, trannies, reliability and interior quality with its last few redesigns. GM is essentially kicking a** with this latest batch of LS engines.

The f10 has turned out to be a 116" WB fat porker, mini 7 series outweighing a comparable E-class by 200 lbs. Joke! I don't care how much technogadgetry - ARS, DSC, DDC, Active Steering is used to compensate, but put the driving back in the hands of the driver.

Please don't f*** up the f30 next year.....

BMWer for lifer, now having 2nd thoughts....