Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #67
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
dude, where did you drive over 200mph several times? i want to go to that place.
If you live in SoCal, I will show you.

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #68
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
If you live in SoCal, I will show you.
next time i'm in socal with my m, i'll take you up on that

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #69
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Well for those considering the Panamera keep in mind that there is a major refresh coming for 2014. So if you can wait I suggest holding out, Porsche's lifecycle updates are not light and usually quite noticeable. All great cars (TT, M5, 991) and I considered getting into another Porsche but honestly need a change and it had to stay MT. The GTS (like the new 991) has a sound symposer that brings intake sounds (others as well) into the cabin. Does wonders to give you a true feeling of the car- hoping the Akro can do the same for the ///M

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
      11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #70
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Pulled the trigger. GTS. I actually love the big fat rear. The wide look is why I loved my RS4 and all of the M cars and the main reason I did not go M5. I wanted more of a motorsport look with bigger flares and cool details like that. On lease, this about 20% more than the M5 so value is not there. I am no brand whore, just really preferred the looks of the Panamera inside and out. Thanks for all of the opinions and will post better pics and a review later.

Happy Holidays,

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #71
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Congrats on your GTS, surely a remarkable ride. I got my car finally and my beloved Targa is sitting in the driveway lonely. The M5 is such a hooligan with all these personalities combined. Its the entire package that blows me away - comfort, tech, power, and brutal performance. Its definitely not as nimble as my 911 but it has a lot of elements that make up for its lack of Porsche steering and handling. I have had about 8 people in my car since day one and I have never had so many compliments on a ride. I highly recommend the manual transmission!
      12-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #72
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

I have been in your camp too. But after test driving 991S...I was sold.. First reason there no comparison with any other car I can think of, the way it drives, sounds, handles etc...secondly, I don't think I'm ready for another turbo BMW or any other turbo car (sorry it's just my opinion). I got 2 kids, 8 and 11 ... I had them sit in the back seat of 991S and play with their iPads while we were at dealership for well over an hour...they had leg room and convinced me this the one I need to get. We take short trips to the city 40-50 min one way and they're thrilled to even think about it...(I'm about 5'10" and my wife is 5'7" with above average height kids, especially my older one)... I know in few years they won't be able to fit well (I can't fit in the back comfortably) but what the he**...I ended up placing an order for 991 4S (it just completed its build today...on the boat in a couple of days), which ended up costing me ~$170K. My wife drives a GX which we may upgrade to new GL in few years but I plan to use 991 as my daily driver...i am glad you made the right decision getting the p-car...there's no substitute period!
      12-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #73
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
I have been in your camp too. But after test driving 991S...I was sold.. First reason there no comparison with any other car I can think of, the way it drives, sounds, handles etc...secondly, I don't think I'm ready for another turbo BMW or any other turbo car (sorry it's just my opinion). I got 2 kids, 8 and 11 ... I had them sit in the back seat of 991S and play with their iPads while we were at dealership for well over an hour...they had leg room and convinced me this the one I need to get. We take short trips to the city 40-50 min one way and they're thrilled to even think about it...(I'm about 5'10" and my wife is 5'7" with above average height kids, especially my older one)... I know in few years they won't be able to fit well (I can't fit in the back comfortably) but what the he**...I ended up placing an order for 991 4S (it just completed its build today...on the boat in a couple of days), which ended up costing me ~$170K. My wife drives a GX which we may upgrade to new GL in few years but I plan to use 991 as my daily driver...i am glad you made the right decision getting the p-car...there's no substitute period!
Originally, I was planning to get a 991 S, but I drove one without the Sport Chrono, which seemed a little too smooth and not sudden enough, and also, I am a big golf nut so the idea of dragging my clubs in and out of the back or front seat was not appealing at all. I think the 4S will be a much more raw car, and definitely the GTS version when it arrives. Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #74
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

Quote:
Did anyone catch this? So you had your kids sit in the back seat with their iPads at the dealership for over an hour?

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #75
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNCore
Quote:
Did anyone catch this? So you had your kids sit in the back seat with their iPads at the dealership for over an hour?
Yep, that's what they wanted to do...and I had to drag them out of there...one minor detail...it was a cab with roof down parked inside the showroom next to our table where we were sitting...
      12-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #76
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel88
Quote:
Originally, I was planning to get a 991 S, but I drove one without the Sport Chrono, which seemed a little too smooth and not sudden enough, and also, I am a big golf nut so the idea of dragging my clubs in and out of the back or front seat was not appealing at all. I think the 4S will be a much more raw car, and definitely the GTS version when it arrives. Enjoy your car!
Yep, there's a difference..I've got sport pasm, PSE and pdcc...the car I drove had it too...it was a beast!

What're your pana gts specs?
      12-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #77
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Plain jane GTS, with some interior bits. The Panamera GTS has the Turbo brakes, some engine parts from the Turbo S, a similar exhaust package as the 991, and a lower standard suspension of 10MM. It is like my E92 got bigger and more bad ass.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #78
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel88 View Post
. It is like my E92 got bigger and more bad ass.
Nice analogy
Couldn't agree more...I evaluated pana gts for a little bit but its just too big to fit in my 1 car garage...
      12-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #79
eNCore
///M 5light
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 MCB ///M5

I just can't seem to spend 120k+ for a <450HP big 4 door. :/

11 - 12 MW E92 ///M3 ZCP

08 - 11 E90 335i

Last edited by eNCore; 12-02-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #80
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Well this thread has gotten really interesting. Frankly speaking I find it completely unfair to compare the 911S, M5, Panamera (GTS,TT)... when we are not even talking about the same price range or capability. On the price side, 25% more for any car is a heck of a lot of money when we are talking about 30-40k difference. I bought my M5 "out the door" for what the GTS base price here in Canada is. All the 911S cars I spec'd were also about 25k more for "similar" options and don't get me started on the massive price of entry for a Panamera TT.

People that get off comparing these cars are doing injustice to the M5 and the car industry as a whole. None of these cars can carry 5 passengers comfortably, none of these cars can fit 4 massive golf bags comfortable, and none of these cars have the impressive technology that the new idrive brings (office, bmw assist, apps) etc. Yes the Porsche's "may" drive and "sound" better but you are paying good $$ for it! And finally (this is for me) only the M5 comes in a traditional 6MT with a nice soft clutch for plenty of easy city driving.
      12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #81
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Well this thread has gotten really interesting. Frankly speaking I find it completely unfair to compare the 911S, M5, Panamera (GTS,TT)... when we are not even talking about the same price range or capability. On the price side, 25% more for any car is a heck of a lot of money when we are talking about 30-40k difference. I bought my M5 "out the door" for what the GTS base price here in Canada is. All the 911S cars I spec'd were also about 25k more for "similar" options and don't get me started on the massive price of entry for a Panamera TT.

People that get off comparing these cars are doing injustice to the M5 and the car industry as a whole. None of these cars can carry 5 passengers comfortably, none of these cars can fit 4 massive golf bags comfortable, and none of these cars have the impressive technology that the new idrive brings (office, bmw assist, apps) etc. Yes the Porsche's "may" drive and "sound" better but you are paying good $$ for it! And finally (this is for me) only the M5 comes in a traditional 6MT with a nice soft clutch for plenty of easy city driving.
For shits and giggles I configured a new C4S the other day. Way over $150K when loaded with lots of convenience options!!! What the hell is Porsche thinking? There will be no Porsche in my post M5 future unless its a nicely optioned, used one.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #82
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I understand what you mean. The value proposition is really there with an M5, but for me and I assume most people who are spending $100K on a car, most M5s are loaded to a $100K or very, very close, $125K is the same ballpark. I was simply comparing cars in that price range. Trust me, I considered everything from a S6/7 to A8 to CLS63. All cars are different, but for what I wanted, the Panamera fit the bill.

I have had 6 BMWS in a row, a really good sales guy, and wanted nothing more than to get a M5/M6, but in the end, the cars were not a right fit for me. There is no judgement for me. The M5 is not an extension or "promotion" from the M3, which is what I wanted. I wanted a car that drove like the M3 with more room. The M5 is not that car and it does not drive like that. It drives like a super fast, super tech, and lux sedan. I think this is what BMW designed and marketed the M5 for, a true executive sports sedan.

The M5 is an awesome car, just not for me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #83
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNCore View Post
I just can't seem to spend 120k+ for a <450HP big 4 door. :/
I know, originally me either, but it really fits how I like to drive. I could have gotten a Turbo for basically the same price, but if I wanted more torque and HP, the M5 is a much better way to go...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #84
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

Quote:
Yes the Porsche's "may" drive and "sound" better but you are paying good $$ for it!
To me these are the most important aspects in a sporty car. It is much easier for me to potentially pay more for a car I love vs a slightly less expensive one that I don't.

We all have different things we are looking for in a car and different budgets, so there really is no universal "best" car out of this bunch. They are all great cars. Try them all and pick that which meets all your needs (both rationally and emotionally).
      12-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #85
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

really wasn't that impressed with the 991S after taking it for an extended test drive for the entire day. Will wait for the Turbo and GT3/RS variants and re-evaluate.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #86
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

Quote:

for me the M5 feeling changed totally when i started to use the M5 buttons, having configured M1 to medium-sporty and M2 to sporty. now i push M1 almost immediately after i start the car and M2 when the engine has warmed up, almost everywhere, city or countryside driving. i just revert to comfort on long highway drives.
i am now happy with the M5 but still lust for another car with a more involving drive. at this point i shall sign a pre-contract for a porsche GT3 2013 very soon.
this will solve the problem for me and quench the desire---)))
peter
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #87
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep

Another quick pic...

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #88
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
but the lighter, smaller, and more nimble S5 is more fun to drive.
Where do you get S5 being a more lighter car?
Appreciate 0