M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #23
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdvpj View Post
Here's a Dinan BMW M5 (e60) with a Stroker 5.8l 630hp engine for those interested. It sounds insane in my opinion...

Nice.... the stroked V10 is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:58 AM   #24
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
The quoted figures are crank HP.
Car is underrated by BMW for sure, so where is the gain from Dinan?
Don't forget I had Dinan before and had initial good experience then found out about the "Delusion" problem of having the tune so you must feel faster! Like the Shockware on F10 550i that they installed for me and I felt "What a difference" then a few months later found that software never made it to the car and they called me to reinstall!! Are you serious ? Where was my brain? It seems not just S63tu comes underrated but our brains too LOL, Thinking it worked!! Hence the "Delusion" ,,, I don't wanna dare say D stands for Delusion (But to be fair only if software because he offers good yet overpriced hardware stuff too),
My 2 cents
Disclaimer - TEHO!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #25
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Don't forget I had Dinan before and had initial good experience then found out about the "Delusion" problem of having the tune so you must feel faster! Like the Shockware on F10 550i that they installed for me and I felt "What a difference" then a few months later found that software never made it to the car and they called me to reinstall!! Are you serious ? Where was my brain? It seems not just S63tu comes underrated but our brains too LOL, Thinking it worked!! Hence the "Delusion" ,,, I don't wanna dare say D stands for Delusion (But to be fair only if software because he offers good yet overpriced hardware stuff too),
My 2 cents
Disclaimer - TEHO!

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #26
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Quote:
As noted, MAHA whp results are c/w factory ratings assuming 12% DT loss. I believe they are underrated, by 1 maybe 2%.

3rd party non-owner, non-vendor dynojet results are also c/w factory ratings assuming a 12% DT loss and allowing 1 perhaps 2% for intra-model variation.

I'll hold out for trap speeds before judging the Dinan setup. Butt dyno's are notoriously useless up or down...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #27
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
As noted, MAHA whp results are c/w factory ratings assuming 12% DT loss. I believe they are underrated, by 1 maybe 2%.

3rd party non-owner, non-vendor dynojet results are also c/w factory ratings assuming a 12% DT loss and allowing 1 perhaps 2% for intra-model variation.

I'll hold out for trap speeds before judging the Dinan setup. Butt dyno's are notoriously useless up or down...
12%?? No way. Maybe you should consider the fact that these cars are seriously underrated. There is a lot more into estimating the drivetrain loss but 12% is way too low.

Didn't Dinan recently released videos on piggyback subject and how unsafe is to run them?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #28
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Maybe you should consider the fact that these cars are seriously underrated.
Absolutely… I have! A lot!!

I think BMW, being a top tier engineering company quote the lower end of the intra-model variation. Suppose BMW test 100 s63tu engines on engine dynamometers and they produce a range of hp from 560-565 (note that the US SAE horsepower certification spec allows for +/- 1% variation from stated values (SAE J1349)) then BMW will quote 560. I'm sure you're getting at least as much as stated, and some will get 1-2% more, but not the 630-650hp stock number that has been thrown around. I also believe that BMW account for the variability in global fuel quality, and that stated power will be achieved on, for example, CA 91 urine. This introduces a small additional buffer that BMW must allow for in order to assure you're getting the 560 or 575hp you paid for. So 1% for intra-model variation and perhaps another 1-2% for optimal fuel quality as compared to poor fuel quality. The cars at the very highest end of the spectrum may, on the best possible fuel, produce 590 hp under optimal conditions. The lion share of non comp are likely making more like 565, and the vast majority of CP cars are likely making 580.

The EU define a precise protocol for myriad automotive specifications including power output (Directive 80/1269/EEC). Intentional misrepresentation of stated output exposes BMW to potentially liability for zero gain. I'm sure you remember the Mazda Miata fiasco. BMW have a vested interest in assuring the stated output is achieved in all cases. It's harder to appreciate the benefit of understating the power. It is conceivable that doing so could expose them to potential liability.

Copied from 80/1269/EEC (If you're bored already, skip the portion between the solid lines)

__________________________________________________ ____________

ANNEX I DETERMINATION OF ENGINE POWER

1. EEC TYPE-APPROVAL

1.1. Application for EEC type-approval

The application for EEC type-approval for a vehicle type in respect of the engine power is submitted by the vehicle manufacturer or his authorized representative.

1.1.1. It must be accompanied by three copies of the document mentioned below and of the following: 1.1.1.1. Information sheet duly completed,

1.1.1.2. Information required in Appendix 1 or 2.

1.1.2. If the technical service responsible for the type-approval tests carries out the tests itself, a vehicle representative of the vehicle type to be approved must be provided.

1.2. Documents

Where an application within the meaning of 1.1 is accepted, the competent authority must prepare the document, the model for which is contained in Annex II. In order to draw up this document, the competent authority of the Member State conducting the EEC type-approval tests may use the report prepared by an approved or recognized laboratory pursuant to the provisions of this Directive.

2. SCOPE

2.1. This method applies to internal combustion engines used for the propulsion of category M and N vehicles as defined in Annex I to Directive 70/156/EEC, belonging to either of the following types.

2.1.1. Internal combustion piston engines (positive ignition or diesel), excluding free-piston engines;

2.1.2. Rotary piston engines.

2.2. This method applies to naturally aspirated or supercharged engines.

3. DEFINITIONS

For the purposes of this Directive, 3.1. "Net power" means the power obtained on the test-bed at the end of the crankshaft or its equivalent at the corresponding engine speed with the auxiliaries listed in Table 1. If the power measurement can be carried out with a mounted gearbox only, the efficiency of the gearbox is to be taken into account.

3.2. "Maximum net power" means the maximum value of the net power measured at full engine load.

3.3. "Standard-production equipment" means equipment provided by the manufacturer for a particular application.

4. ACCURACY OF THE MEASUREMENTS OF FULL LOAD POWER

4.1. Torque

4.1.1. Subject to 4.1.2, the capacity of the dynamometer must be such that the first quarter of its scale is not used. The measuring system must be accurate to within ± 0 75 % of the maximum scale value (excluding the first quarter).

4.1.2. The scale region between one sixth and one quarter of the maximum scale may however be used if the system accuracy at one sixth of the scale is within ± 0 725 % of the maximum scale value.

4.2. Engine speed

The measurement must be accurate to within ± 0 75 %. Engine speed must be measured preferably with an automatically synchronized revolution counter and chronometer (or counter-timer).

4.3. Fuel consumption

± 1 % overall for the apparatus used.

4.4. Engine inlet air temperature ± 2 ºC.

4.5. Barometric pressure ± 2 mbar.

4.6. Pressure In test-bed exhaust extraction duct (see note 1 to Table 1)

4.7. Pressure in inlet manifold : ± 0 75 mbar.

4.8. Pressure In vehicle exhaust pipe : ± 2 mbar.

5. NET POWER OF THE ENGINE

5.1. Tests

5.1.1. Auxiliary equipment

During the test, the auxiliary equipment to be fitted as specified below must be installed on the engine, as far as possible in the same position as that in which it would be for the particular use in question. 5.1.1.1. Auxiliary equipment to be fitted

The auxiliary equipment to be fitted during the test for determination of the net power of the engine is listed in Table 1 below.

5.1.1.2. Auxiliary equipment to be removed

Certain auxiliary equipment which is necessary only for the operation of the vehicle and which may be mounted on the engine must be removed for the test. The following non-exhaustive list is given by way of example: - air compressor for brakes,

- power steering compressor,

- suspension compressor,

- air-conditioning system,

- cooling equipment for hydraulic transmission and/or gearbox oil.

Where accessories cannot be removed, the power absorbed by them in the unloaded condition may be determined and added to the engine power measured.

TABLE 1

Auxiliary equipment to be included for the test to determine net power of engine

>PIC FILE= "T0013845"> >PIC FILE= "T0013846">

5.1.1.3. Auxiliary equipment for starting diesel engines

For the auxiliary equipment used in starting diesel engines, the two following cases must be considered: 5.1.1.3.1. Electrical starting : The generator is fitted and it supplies, where necessary, the auxiliary equipment essential for the operation of the engine.

5.1.1.3.2. Starting other than electrical : If there are any electrically operated accessories essential for the operation of the engine, the generator is fitted and supplies these accessories. Otherwise, it is removed. In either case., the system for producing and accumulating the energy necessary for starting is fitted and operates in the unloaded condition.

5.1.2. Setting conditions

The setting conditions for the test to determine net power are indicated in Table 2.

TABLE 2

Setting conditions >PIC FILE= "T0013847">

5.1.3. Net power tests

5.1.3.1. The net power test must consist of a run at full throttle for positive ignition engines and at fixed full load injection-pump setting for diesel engines, the engine being equipped as specified in Table 1.

5.1.3.2. Performance data must be obtained under stabilized operating conditions, with an adequate fresh-air supply to the engine. The engine must have been run in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Combustion chambers may contain deposits, but in limited quantity.

Test conditions such as inlet air temperature must be selected as near to reference conditions (see 5.2) as possible in order to minimize the magnitude of the correction factor.

5.1.3.3. The temperature of the inlet air to the engine must be measured within 0 715 m upstream from the point of entry to the air cleaner, or, if no air cleaner is used, within 0 715 m of the air inlet horn. The thermometer or thermocouple shall be shielded from radiant heat and placed directly in the air stream. It must also be shielded from fuel spray-back. A sufficient number of locations must be used to give a representative average inlet temperature. The air flow must not be disturbed by the measuring device.

5.1.3.4. No data must be taken until torque, speed and temperature have remained substantially constant for at least one minute.

5.1.3.5. The engine speed during a measurement run must not deviate from the selected speed while readings are taken by more than ± 1 % or ± 10 rev/min, whichever is the greater.

5.1.3.6. Brake load, fuel consumption and inlet air temperature readings must be taken simultaneously ; the reading adopted for measurement purposes must be the average of two stabilized values differing by less than 2 % for brake load and fuel consumption.

5.1.3.7. A measurement time of not less than 60 seconds must be used when measuring speed or fuel consumption with a manually operated device.

5.1.3.8. Fuel

5.1.3.8.1. In the case of diesel engines, the fuel used must be as specified in Annex V to Council Directive 72/306/EEC of 21 August 1972 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the measures to be taken against the emission of pollutants from diesel engines for use in engines (1), with the addition, if necessary, of a commercial liquid or gaseous fuel recommended by the manufacturer. The fuel must not contain any smoke-suppressant additives.

5.1.3.8.2. In the case of positive ignition engines, the fuel used must be a commercial fuel, without any supplementary additive. The fuel described in Annex VI to Council Directive 70/220/EEC of 20 March 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to measures to be taken against air pollution by gases from positive-ignition engines of motor vehicles (2) as last amended by Directive 78/665/EEC (3), may also be used.

5.1.3.9. Cooling of the engine 5.1.3.9.1. Liquid-cooled engines

The temperature of the coolant at the outlet from the engine must be kept within ±5 ºC from the upper thermostatically controlled temperature specified by the manufacturer. If no temperature is specified by the manufacturer, the temperature must be 80 ± 5 ºC.

5.1.3.9.2. Air cooled engines

For air-cooled engines, the temperature at a point indicated by the manufacturer must be kept between the maximum value TM specified by the manufacturer and TM - 20 ºC.

5.1.3.10. The fuel temperature at the inlet of the injection pump or carburettor must be maintained within the limits set by the manufacturer.

5.1.3.11. The temperature of the lubricating oil measured in the oil sump or at the outlet from the oil cooler, if fitted, must be within the limits set by the manufacturer.

5.1.3.12. The exhaust gas temperature must be measured at a point in the exhaust pipe(s) adjacent to the outlet flange(s) of the exhaust manifold(s). It must not exceed the value specified by the manufacturer.

5.1.3.13. Auxiliary cooling system

An auxiliary cooling system may be used if necessary to maintain the temperatures within the limits specified in 5.1.3.9. to 5.1.3.12. (1)OJ No L 190, 20.8.1972, p. 1. (2)OJ No L 76, 6.4.1970, p. 1. (3)OJ No L 223, 14.8.1978, p. 48.

5.1.4. Test procedure

Take measurements at a sufficient number of engine speeds to define the full load power curve completely between the lowest and the highest engine speeds stated by the manufacturer. This range of speeds must include the speed of revolution at which the engine produces its maximum power. For each speed, the average of two stabilized measurements is taken.

5.1.5. Measurement of smoke index

In the case of diesel engines, the exhaust gases must be examined during the test for compliance with the conditions set out in Annex VI to Directive 72/306/EEC.

5.2. Correction factors

5.2.1. Definition

The correction factor is the coefficient K by which the observed power must be multiplied to determine the engine power under the atmospheric reference conditions specified in 5.2.2.

5.2.2. Atmospheric reference conditions

5.2.2.1. Temperature : 25 ºC.

5.2.2.2. Dry pressure (ps) : 990 mbar.

5.2.3. Conditions to be complied with in the laboratory >PIC FILE= "T0013848">

5.2.4. Determination of correction factors

5.2.4.1. Positive-ignition engines (carburettor or injection) - factor Ka.

The correction factor is obtained by applying the following formula: >PIC FILE= "T0013849">

where

T = the absolute temperature in K at the air inlet to the engine;

ps = the dry atmospheric pressure in mbar, in other words the total barometric pressure minus water vapour pressure.

5.2.4.2. Diesel engines - factor Kd

5.2.4.2.1. Naturally aspirated four-stroke diesel engines, and two-stroke diesel engines

The correction factor is calculated by means of the following formula: >PIC FILE= "T0013850">

where

T = the absolute temperature in K at the air inlet to the engine:

ps = the dry atmospheric pressure in mbar.

5.2.4.2.2. Pressure charged four-stroke diesel engines

5.2.4.2.2.1. Exhaust driven turbo-charged engines

No correction is made to the power. However, when the density of the ambient air differs by more than 5 % from the air density in the reference conditions (25 ºC and 1 000 mbar), the test conditions must be noted in the test report.

5.2.4.2.2.2. Mechanically supercharged engines

5.2.4.2.2.2.1. The ratio r is defined by the following formula: >PIC FILE= "T0013851">

where

D = the amount of fuel delivered in mm3 for each engine cycle,

V = the cylinder capacity of the engine in litres,

P1 = the ambient pressure,

P2 = the pressure at the engine inlet manifold,

T1 = the ambient temperature in K (as defined in 5.1.3.3),

T2 = the temperature at the engine inlet manifold in K.

5.2.4.2.2.2.2. The correction factor for mechanically supercharged engines is the same as that for naturally aspirated engines if r is equal to or greater than 50 mm3/litre, and it is equal to 1 if r is less than 50 mm3/litre.

5.3. Test report

The test report must contain the results and all the calculations required to obtain the net power, as listed in Annex II, together with the characteristics of the engine listed in Appendix 1 or Appendix 2 to this Annex.

5.4. Modification of engine type

Any modification of the engine with regard to the characteristics listed in Appendix 1 or Appendix 2 to this Annex must be reported to the competent authority. That authority may then either: 5.4.1. consider that the modifications made are not likely to have any substantial effect on the power of the engine, or

5.4.2. request that power of the engine be determined by carrying out such tests as it deems necessary.

6. NET POWER MEASUREMENT TOLERANCES

6.1. The net power of the engine as determined by the technical service may differ by ± 2 % from the net power specified by the manufacturer, with a 1 75 % tolerance for the engine speed.

6.2. The net power of an engine during a production conformity test may differ by ± 5 % from the net power determined in a type-approval test.

__________________________________________________ _______________
(please update if you are aware of an update to the standards/procedures, I don't live in the EU!)

There aren't many non-vendor, non-owner dynos available. The ones that are available would suggest the stated crank rating is accurate assuming a 12% DT loss and allowing for intra-model and fuel quality variability as noted above.

Edmunds.com 514/475
514 x 1.12 = 575

Motortrend 508/452
508 x 1.12 = 568

These are just two, additional available via google search.

Granted, there is room for arguing the drive train loss. The first DT loss estimate I saw was from the PP Performance dyno of a 2012 M5. The results were 444 whp and DT loss was estimated at 19%. My first thought was that would be epically high for BMW. Sort of flies in the face of "efficient dynamics". Previous BMW power trains are c/w a lower number. Power train efficiency of competitors are lower and continue to decline as well. I give BMW credit for developing a much more efficient power train. There engineering prowess is top tier. The explanation lies in the variable resistance of the power train under acceleration vs deceleration (as you know MAHA DT loss estimates are derived from "coast down" resistance). If you search you can read more about this topic, but this post is already too long. In any case, I do believe the DT loss is 15% max, I believe it's more likely ~12%.

Perhaps BMW at the expense of potential liability and for little to no perceivable gain have chosen to ignore procedure and be intentionally imprecise OR perhaps the drive train is efficient and there are a lot of trumped up owner/vendor dynos… you decide.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #29
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely… I have! A lot!!

I think BMW, being a top tier engineering company quote the lower end of the intra-model variation. Suppose BMW test 100 s63tu engines on engine dynamometers and they produce a range of hp from 560-565 (note that the US SAE horsepower certification spec allows for +/- 1% variation from stated values (SAE J1349)) then BMW will quote 560. I'm sure you're getting at least as much as stated, and some will get 1-2% more, but not the 630-650hp stock number that has been thrown around. I also believe that BMW account for the variability in global fuel quality, and that stated power will be achieved on, for example, CA 91 urine. This introduces a small additional buffer that BMW must allow for in order to assure you're getting the 560 or 575hp you paid for. So 1% for intra-model variation and perhaps another 1-2% for optimal fuel quality as compared to poor fuel quality. The cars at the very highest end of the spectrum may, on the best possible fuel, produce 590 hp under optimal conditions. The lion share of non comp are likely making more like 565, and the vast majority of CP cars are likely making 580.

The EU define a precise protocol for myriad automotive specifications including power output (Directive 80/1269/EEC). Intentional misrepresentation of stated output exposes BMW to potentially liability for zero gain. I'm sure you remember the Mazda Miata fiasco. BMW have a vested interest in assuring the stated output is achieved in all cases. It's harder to appreciate the benefit of understating the power. It is conceivable that doing so could expose them to potential liability.

Copied from 80/1269/EEC (If you're bored already, skip the portion between the solid lines)

__________________________________________________ ____________

ANNEX I DETERMINATION OF ENGINE POWER

1. EEC TYPE-APPROVAL

1.1. Application for EEC type-approval

The application for EEC type-approval for a vehicle type in respect of the engine power is submitted by the vehicle manufacturer or his authorized representative.

1.1.1. It must be accompanied by three copies of the document mentioned below and of the following: 1.1.1.1. Information sheet duly completed,

1.1.1.2. Information required in Appendix 1 or 2.

1.1.2. If the technical service responsible for the type-approval tests carries out the tests itself, a vehicle representative of the vehicle type to be approved must be provided.

1.2. Documents

Where an application within the meaning of 1.1 is accepted, the competent authority must prepare the document, the model for which is contained in Annex II. In order to draw up this document, the competent authority of the Member State conducting the EEC type-approval tests may use the report prepared by an approved or recognized laboratory pursuant to the provisions of this Directive.

2. SCOPE

2.1. This method applies to internal combustion engines used for the propulsion of category M and N vehicles as defined in Annex I to Directive 70/156/EEC, belonging to either of the following types.

2.1.1. Internal combustion piston engines (positive ignition or diesel), excluding free-piston engines;

2.1.2. Rotary piston engines.

2.2. This method applies to naturally aspirated or supercharged engines.

3. DEFINITIONS

For the purposes of this Directive, 3.1. "Net power" means the power obtained on the test-bed at the end of the crankshaft or its equivalent at the corresponding engine speed with the auxiliaries listed in Table 1. If the power measurement can be carried out with a mounted gearbox only, the efficiency of the gearbox is to be taken into account.

3.2. "Maximum net power" means the maximum value of the net power measured at full engine load.

3.3. "Standard-production equipment" means equipment provided by the manufacturer for a particular application.

4. ACCURACY OF THE MEASUREMENTS OF FULL LOAD POWER

4.1. Torque

4.1.1. Subject to 4.1.2, the capacity of the dynamometer must be such that the first quarter of its scale is not used. The measuring system must be accurate to within ± 0 75 % of the maximum scale value (excluding the first quarter).

4.1.2. The scale region between one sixth and one quarter of the maximum scale may however be used if the system accuracy at one sixth of the scale is within ± 0 725 % of the maximum scale value.

4.2. Engine speed

The measurement must be accurate to within ± 0 75 %. Engine speed must be measured preferably with an automatically synchronized revolution counter and chronometer (or counter-timer).

4.3. Fuel consumption

± 1 % overall for the apparatus used.

4.4. Engine inlet air temperature ± 2 ºC.

4.5. Barometric pressure ± 2 mbar.

4.6. Pressure In test-bed exhaust extraction duct (see note 1 to Table 1)

4.7. Pressure in inlet manifold : ± 0 75 mbar.

4.8. Pressure In vehicle exhaust pipe : ± 2 mbar.

5. NET POWER OF THE ENGINE

5.1. Tests

5.1.1. Auxiliary equipment

During the test, the auxiliary equipment to be fitted as specified below must be installed on the engine, as far as possible in the same position as that in which it would be for the particular use in question. 5.1.1.1. Auxiliary equipment to be fitted

The auxiliary equipment to be fitted during the test for determination of the net power of the engine is listed in Table 1 below.

5.1.1.2. Auxiliary equipment to be removed

Certain auxiliary equipment which is necessary only for the operation of the vehicle and which may be mounted on the engine must be removed for the test. The following non-exhaustive list is given by way of example: - air compressor for brakes,

- power steering compressor,

- suspension compressor,

- air-conditioning system,

- cooling equipment for hydraulic transmission and/or gearbox oil.

Where accessories cannot be removed, the power absorbed by them in the unloaded condition may be determined and added to the engine power measured.

TABLE 1

Auxiliary equipment to be included for the test to determine net power of engine

>PIC FILE= "T0013845"> >PIC FILE= "T0013846">

5.1.1.3. Auxiliary equipment for starting diesel engines

For the auxiliary equipment used in starting diesel engines, the two following cases must be considered: 5.1.1.3.1. Electrical starting : The generator is fitted and it supplies, where necessary, the auxiliary equipment essential for the operation of the engine.

5.1.1.3.2. Starting other than electrical : If there are any electrically operated accessories essential for the operation of the engine, the generator is fitted and supplies these accessories. Otherwise, it is removed. In either case., the system for producing and accumulating the energy necessary for starting is fitted and operates in the unloaded condition.

5.1.2. Setting conditions

The setting conditions for the test to determine net power are indicated in Table 2.

TABLE 2

Setting conditions >PIC FILE= "T0013847">

5.1.3. Net power tests

5.1.3.1. The net power test must consist of a run at full throttle for positive ignition engines and at fixed full load injection-pump setting for diesel engines, the engine being equipped as specified in Table 1.

5.1.3.2. Performance data must be obtained under stabilized operating conditions, with an adequate fresh-air supply to the engine. The engine must have been run in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Combustion chambers may contain deposits, but in limited quantity.

Test conditions such as inlet air temperature must be selected as near to reference conditions (see 5.2) as possible in order to minimize the magnitude of the correction factor.

5.1.3.3. The temperature of the inlet air to the engine must be measured within 0 715 m upstream from the point of entry to the air cleaner, or, if no air cleaner is used, within 0 715 m of the air inlet horn. The thermometer or thermocouple shall be shielded from radiant heat and placed directly in the air stream. It must also be shielded from fuel spray-back. A sufficient number of locations must be used to give a representative average inlet temperature. The air flow must not be disturbed by the measuring device.

5.1.3.4. No data must be taken until torque, speed and temperature have remained substantially constant for at least one minute.

5.1.3.5. The engine speed during a measurement run must not deviate from the selected speed while readings are taken by more than ± 1 % or ± 10 rev/min, whichever is the greater.

5.1.3.6. Brake load, fuel consumption and inlet air temperature readings must be taken simultaneously ; the reading adopted for measurement purposes must be the average of two stabilized values differing by less than 2 % for brake load and fuel consumption.

5.1.3.7. A measurement time of not less than 60 seconds must be used when measuring speed or fuel consumption with a manually operated device.

5.1.3.8. Fuel

5.1.3.8.1. In the case of diesel engines, the fuel used must be as specified in Annex V to Council Directive 72/306/EEC of 21 August 1972 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the measures to be taken against the emission of pollutants from diesel engines for use in engines (1), with the addition, if necessary, of a commercial liquid or gaseous fuel recommended by the manufacturer. The fuel must not contain any smoke-suppressant additives.

5.1.3.8.2. In the case of positive ignition engines, the fuel used must be a commercial fuel, without any supplementary additive. The fuel described in Annex VI to Council Directive 70/220/EEC of 20 March 1970 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to measures to be taken against air pollution by gases from positive-ignition engines of motor vehicles (2) as last amended by Directive 78/665/EEC (3), may also be used.

5.1.3.9. Cooling of the engine 5.1.3.9.1. Liquid-cooled engines

The temperature of the coolant at the outlet from the engine must be kept within ±5 ºC from the upper thermostatically controlled temperature specified by the manufacturer. If no temperature is specified by the manufacturer, the temperature must be 80 ± 5 ºC.

5.1.3.9.2. Air cooled engines

For air-cooled engines, the temperature at a point indicated by the manufacturer must be kept between the maximum value TM specified by the manufacturer and TM - 20 ºC.

5.1.3.10. The fuel temperature at the inlet of the injection pump or carburettor must be maintained within the limits set by the manufacturer.

5.1.3.11. The temperature of the lubricating oil measured in the oil sump or at the outlet from the oil cooler, if fitted, must be within the limits set by the manufacturer.

5.1.3.12. The exhaust gas temperature must be measured at a point in the exhaust pipe(s) adjacent to the outlet flange(s) of the exhaust manifold(s). It must not exceed the value specified by the manufacturer.

5.1.3.13. Auxiliary cooling system

An auxiliary cooling system may be used if necessary to maintain the temperatures within the limits specified in 5.1.3.9. to 5.1.3.12. (1)OJ No L 190, 20.8.1972, p. 1. (2)OJ No L 76, 6.4.1970, p. 1. (3)OJ No L 223, 14.8.1978, p. 48.

5.1.4. Test procedure

Take measurements at a sufficient number of engine speeds to define the full load power curve completely between the lowest and the highest engine speeds stated by the manufacturer. This range of speeds must include the speed of revolution at which the engine produces its maximum power. For each speed, the average of two stabilized measurements is taken.

5.1.5. Measurement of smoke index

In the case of diesel engines, the exhaust gases must be examined during the test for compliance with the conditions set out in Annex VI to Directive 72/306/EEC.

5.2. Correction factors

5.2.1. Definition

The correction factor is the coefficient K by which the observed power must be multiplied to determine the engine power under the atmospheric reference conditions specified in 5.2.2.

5.2.2. Atmospheric reference conditions

5.2.2.1. Temperature : 25 ºC.

5.2.2.2. Dry pressure (ps) : 990 mbar.

5.2.3. Conditions to be complied with in the laboratory >PIC FILE= "T0013848">

5.2.4. Determination of correction factors

5.2.4.1. Positive-ignition engines (carburettor or injection) - factor Ka.

The correction factor is obtained by applying the following formula: >PIC FILE= "T0013849">

where

T = the absolute temperature in K at the air inlet to the engine;

ps = the dry atmospheric pressure in mbar, in other words the total barometric pressure minus water vapour pressure.

5.2.4.2. Diesel engines - factor Kd

5.2.4.2.1. Naturally aspirated four-stroke diesel engines, and two-stroke diesel engines

The correction factor is calculated by means of the following formula: >PIC FILE= "T0013850">

where

T = the absolute temperature in K at the air inlet to the engine:

ps = the dry atmospheric pressure in mbar.

5.2.4.2.2. Pressure charged four-stroke diesel engines

5.2.4.2.2.1. Exhaust driven turbo-charged engines

No correction is made to the power. However, when the density of the ambient air differs by more than 5 % from the air density in the reference conditions (25 ºC and 1 000 mbar), the test conditions must be noted in the test report.

5.2.4.2.2.2. Mechanically supercharged engines

5.2.4.2.2.2.1. The ratio r is defined by the following formula: >PIC FILE= "T0013851">

where

D = the amount of fuel delivered in mm3 for each engine cycle,

V = the cylinder capacity of the engine in litres,

P1 = the ambient pressure,

P2 = the pressure at the engine inlet manifold,

T1 = the ambient temperature in K (as defined in 5.1.3.3),

T2 = the temperature at the engine inlet manifold in K.

5.2.4.2.2.2.2. The correction factor for mechanically supercharged engines is the same as that for naturally aspirated engines if r is equal to or greater than 50 mm3/litre, and it is equal to 1 if r is less than 50 mm3/litre.

5.3. Test report

The test report must contain the results and all the calculations required to obtain the net power, as listed in Annex II, together with the characteristics of the engine listed in Appendix 1 or Appendix 2 to this Annex.

5.4. Modification of engine type

Any modification of the engine with regard to the characteristics listed in Appendix 1 or Appendix 2 to this Annex must be reported to the competent authority. That authority may then either: 5.4.1. consider that the modifications made are not likely to have any substantial effect on the power of the engine, or

5.4.2. request that power of the engine be determined by carrying out such tests as it deems necessary.

6. NET POWER MEASUREMENT TOLERANCES

6.1. The net power of the engine as determined by the technical service may differ by ± 2 % from the net power specified by the manufacturer, with a 1 75 % tolerance for the engine speed.

6.2. The net power of an engine during a production conformity test may differ by ± 5 % from the net power determined in a type-approval test.

__________________________________________________ _______________
(please update if you are aware of an update to the standards/procedures, I don't live in the EU!)

There aren't many non-vendor, non-owner dynos available. The ones that are available would suggest the stated crank rating is accurate assuming a 12% DT loss and allowing for intra-model and fuel quality variability as noted above.

Edmunds.com 514/475
514 x 1.12 = 575

Motortrend 508/452
508 x 1.12 = 568

These are just two, additional available via google search.

Granted, there is room for arguing the drive train loss. The first DT loss estimate I saw was from the PP Performance dyno of a 2012 M5. The results were 444 whp and DT loss was estimated at 19%. My first thought was that would be epically high for BMW. Sort of flies in the face of "efficient dynamics". Previous BMW power trains are c/w a lower number. Power train efficiency of competitors are lower and continue to decline as well. I give BMW credit for developing a much more efficient power train. There engineering prowess is top tier. The explanation lies in the variable resistance of the power train under acceleration vs deceleration (as you know MAHA DT loss estimates are derived from "coast down" resistance). If you search you can read more about this topic, but this post is already too long. In any case, I do believe the DT loss is 15% max, I believe it's more likely ~12%.

Perhaps BMW at the expense of potential liability and for little to no perceivable gain have chosen to ignore procedure and be intentionally imprecise OR perhaps the drive train is efficient and there are a lot of trumped up owner/vendor dynos… you decide.
OMG
O must go back to school to understand this -
Deep stuff
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #30
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careful Driver View Post
How is this car's stock 575 hp not enough for you? You do know that 575 is underrated so much that it's usually around 640-660 hp? Do you ever see yourself driving in queens in a situation where you need more horsepower and torque than that?
+1 and it's a RWD car...
Also it's supposed to be DD car and not track car or drag car...
So why we need more power and torque for a car has already have this much power and torque? I know it's a good feeling to have powerful car but the point is that we already have it...
This car is not drivable (for most people) with DSC OFF in street because of this much power, now if we add more power we cannot drive it even in MDM mode or we have to see the traction light blinking all the time like Christmas light
anyways this is just "my opinion"
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8

Last edited by M6-Coupe; 06-05-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #31
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe;16076689This car is not [B
derivable [/B]"
What do you want to be able to derive with this car?
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #32
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Lol. I am totally amused how some people want to modify this car like its a track car. It's a daily driver with sporting characteristics and power. That's it.

But to each his own.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #33
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
sorry my bad I meant we cannot drive ...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
This car is not drivable (for most people) with DSC OFF in street because of this much power
Very true
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #35
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Time travel… I'm close
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #36
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Time travel… I'm close
Your response = win
      06-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #37
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
+1 and it's a RWD car...
Also it's supposed to be DD car and not track car or drag car...
So why we need more power and torque for a car has already have this much power and torque? I know it's a good feeling to have powerful car but the point is that we already have it...
This car is not drivable (for most people) with DSC OFF in street because of this much power, now if we add more power we cannot drive it even in MDM mode or we have to see the traction light blinking all the time like Christmas light
anyways this is just "my opinion"
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

I am not seeing the dinan tune on the website. What does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #39
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerrF10 View Post
It hasn't been released yet, but expect it to cost:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerrF10 View Post
they just updated their website:
Stage 1: $3,500 - HP 610, TQ605
Stage 2: $3,750 - HP 631, TQ622 Requires intake (3k) and the exhaust (3k - looks like they lowered exhaust price from the original price, 4k)

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #41
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
they just updated their website:
Stage 1: $3,500 - HP 610, TQ605
Stage 2: $3,750 - HP 631, TQ622 Requires intake (3k) and the exhaust (3k - looks like they lowered exhaust price from the original price, 4k)
Rip off if Crank Numbers! !
The car is already above 600 hp! !
Not sure about torque and whether DCT is really ok dealing with that much!!
And all this to get 631! Almost 10k stage 2 and I believe you would get same without software tune!!!
A LET DOWN INDEED coming from someone who purchased Dinan Stage 2 for 550i December 2012!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #42
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
According to the notification from the Dinan site "This kit NOT for cars equipped with BMW competition package." This leads me to believe that this is a press tune.

The D-TRONICS Performance Tuner only work with vehicles equipped with mechanical wastegates with a production end date of 6/2014. Vehicle with a production of 7/2014 and newer will have a electronic wastegate and will not work with the D-TRONICS Performance Tuner!
This kit NOT for cars equipped with BMW competition package.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #43
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z
My thoughts exactly, now if Dinan's numbers are whp, then that would be entirely different story. I also read that this is a piggy back with press tune, but calibrated by Dinan. If they are not tweaking air/fuel and timings this is no better than your already available piggyback tunes out there.

Quote:
My experience with Dinan exactly that!
They crank a few ponies and add to the real number vs the underrated number by BMW!!
You are paying for 10-20 mkre ponies if so as I have seen so many Dyno of bone stock of North of 600 and I remember some 620 too so where is the gain? Torque ?!
Correct me if I'm wrong!!

Dinan non software stuff seem to be of quod yet overpriced quality! !
But like Thomas "I won't believe till I touch those numbers and way above 650 Crank" to be of real value! ! And still with RWD!!
Dinan measures at the wheels from
My understanding.
I have always understood that Dinan measures the delta between stock and tuned. Then adds that Delta to BMWs official numbers.

This would imply it is a 50hp gain in Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #44
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I have always understood that Dinan measures the delta between stock and tuned. Then adds that Delta to BMWs official numbers.

This would imply it is a 50hp gain in Stage 1.
3K for 50hp!!! sheeeeeeeet I got some beach front property in AZ for-sale to!!!
Appreciate 0