M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
LeftFootLove
Anti-Dentite
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Competition 6MT

Recovering from rod bearing engine lock. Help fortifying? Aftermarket suggestions?

So my engine locked from rod bearing failure on the highway a few months ago as I was shifting into 4th and not only did the engine lock, but the transmission case was cracked as I attempted to shift into a frozen engine at speed. Absolutely catastrophic transmission failure. 2016 M5 Competition 6MT

The plan is to get a used engine with less than 20k miles, and a reman transmission (literally no such thing as a new item anymore) from BMW directly. There are 6 reman 6MTs for M5/M6 in Germany.

The transmission assembly does NOT include clutch, nor flywheel. Flywheel may or may not come with sourced used engine. TBD

I am looking for clutch and flywheel options that would be better than stock. Cheaper would be great too, but I would never put an inferior part in. I just figure with the insane expense of OEM M5 parts, the aftermarket stuff may be same price or cheaper?

Car needs front discs/pads too. Are OEM the recommended way to go? My last OEM set was very noisy ...

Lastly, I will be upgrading the rod bearings before installing new (used) motor. I want to take this opportunity to fortify any other parts of the car that could be a problem. I am on a stock tune and do NOT anticipate ever tuning the car. It will remain stock. Are there any other things I could do at this time to help get ahead of any future issues?

Thanks in advance.