M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Scott_in_FL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR

HP gains w/ different exhausts...

Okay, let me see if I have this correct.

With just an axle back (i.e. slip-on), most systems show only a negligible hp improvement (i.e. less than 8hp), right?

Thus, it basically does not matter whether I select Meisterschaft or Eisenmann, 3D Design or anyone else? We're just talking sound improvements at this point and everything is in the range of about $4k?

For a full system, there seem to be more solid gains (which makes sense). Important to me are the gains without a tune or otherwise voiding my warranty.

Meisterschaft claims 30hp for their full system (90mm LXR pipe) and the setup costs about $6k.

Eisenmann can be purchased with their center pipe and total price is about $7k. Not certain about the piping diameter or the hp gains.

RPI claims theirs makes the most hp (have they published the number?). Their piping is 77mm and their price seems to be the lowest (close to $4k?).

Akra costs about $8k for a full system, but they only got 10hp and 13ft lbs torque.

So, if I want hp without a tune, it seems like the choices are Meisterschaft vs. RPI. On price, RPI seems like a winner if it can put up legit numbers. However, their 77mm tubing vs the 90mm tubing of the Meisterschaft seems like a significant difference. Can the RPI flow as well? How could it?

Looking for thoughts and opinions here as to what people are experiencing now that these systems have been out and in cars for awhile now.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I believe your questions will eventually be answered here:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775934
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Cant go wrong with either. I had an RPI setup on my M3 and loved it. RPI makes some good quality products. I chose Meisterschaft for my M5 because they offered the remote valves which was important to me. I absolutely love this feature. Oh, and the 102mm tips dont suck either. Sound is similar for both systems and I would bet the power increase is similar as well.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I just installed my rpi exhaust and am going today to see if I can get on the dyno. I will let you guys know my findings on my post on my rpi install.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots
I just installed my rpi exhaust and am going today to see if I can get on the dyno. I will let you guys know my findings on my post on my rpi install.
Nice! Thanks for sharing the results.

Do you have before numbers?
      12-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Did you do a stock dyno? A dyno with the exhaust without anything to compare it to would be pointless, no? Cant compare to other cars results. All cars, dyno machines, test environments are unique.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I didn't have a chance to get before/after tests done. I wanted to, but it didn't work out that way with my work schedule. Actually the best way to do it would be to get the base line, change out exhaust same day and them get the after run. I know that all our cars are different, but hopefully these results are good enough to show everyone until i get to the dyno on monday for another pull.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Just got mine installed today. RPi GT exhaust. No dyno done yet. Butt dyno says it pull much much harder than stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Scott_in_FL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Nissan GTR

bclk55, that is great to hear. Butt dyno may actually be more important to all of us because improved throttle response is what will make these cars more fun to drive during normal conditions. A dyno chart showing some top end gains is nice at the track.

It's looking like RPI could be the winner here.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL View Post
bclk55, that is great to hear. Butt dyno may actually be more important to all of us because improved throttle response is what will make these cars more fun to drive during normal conditions. A dyno chart showing some top end gains is nice at the track.

It's looking like RPI could be the winner here.
Boots just put his car on the dyno a couple of days ago. He got some nice gain out of it as well. I agree, butt dyno is more important as the car is much more fun and responsive than stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Looks like the butt dyno was on point with the real dyno. oh yea.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: MB SLS AMG & BMW X5M

Mmm

The best M5 exhaust is the Manhart Racing, we'v tried them all and got the most hp gain with manhart and G-power as they come from the same manufacturer and are exactly the same! The only difference is the print on the tips. To get the max gain install BMC filters, manhart catbacks, sport downpipe, and ecu tuning. By that ull get about 645+
Appreciate 0