BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

Available frozen colors for 15'

So i am looking at doing ED and after seeing frozen cashmere silver.........i love it. Is this color still available? The only frozen color i see for 15' is bronze metallic.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaury23 View Post
So i am looking at doing ED and after seeing frozen cashmere silver.........i love it. Is this color still available? The only frozen color i see for 15' is bronze metallic.
Just talked to David he said he prob can still get it. He has another customer who just contacted him recently about it as well

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

Yes, that was me. I didn't hear from him yet, so I thought I would ask here.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaury23 View Post
Yes, that was me. I didn't hear from him yet, so I thought I would ask here.
he is working on it. Takes a little while for BMW indiv to get back to reps. If anyone can do it David can. If you don't hear anything come monday shoot me a pm

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
WuTang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT

I would like to see frozen blue!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Frozen colors are great but a pain in the ass to maintain or repair. I was at a body shop trying to repair my ding and the shop manager told me that his buddy was trying to repair a chipped section of his frozen M5 bumper, and that he refused to even try. This was a highly rated body shop. He then went to the most expensive and the only BMW certified and trained repair center in SF and they couldn't get it right after 4 times.

Get the color you want and spend $4k wrapping it in matte clear bra. It's clear so it will make your natural paint color matte. I was tempted and would have been the only matte Singapore grey
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23 View Post
Frozen colors are great but a pain in the ass to maintain or repair. I was at a body shop trying to repair my ding and the shop manager told me that his buddy was trying to repair a chipped section of his frozen M5 bumper, and that he refused to even try. This was a highly rated body shop. He then went to the most expensive and the only BMW certified and trained repair center in SF and they couldn't get it right after 4 times.

Get the color you want and spend $4k wrapping it in matte clear bra. It's clear so it will make your natural paint color matte. I was tempted and would have been the only matte Singapore grey
This is half incorrect.

Frozen colors are way easier than regular colors to maintain. You don't have to wax them, they don't get swirls, they look clean when dirty. I have gone from washing my glossy car every week, to washing my frozen car once a month. I once didn't wash the car for 6 weeks and there were people taking photos of it because it still looked spectacular.

They are harder to repair - but quite frankly I don't know who repairs paint on a 120k car. A few years ago the bumper on my shiny black lexus got scratched. I didn't repair it - I just bought a new bumper. I would do the same with the BMW. So while frozen paint repair is harder, it is a non issue from my perspective.

I'm probably saving about $2k a year on car washes and detailing with the frozen finish.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^ agree, everyone who I talk to who has frozen paints says its the easiest paint ever and they love it.

I can see if you have to get nicks and scratches repaired it could be a slight issue but other then that I think you would be fine.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is half incorrect.

Frozen colors are way easier than regular colors to maintain. You don't have to wax them, they don't get swirls, they look clean when dirty. I have gone from washing my glossy car every week, to washing my frozen car once a month. I once didn't wash the car for 6 weeks and there were people taking photos of it because it still looked spectacular.

They are harder to repair - but quite frankly I don't know who repairs paint on a 120k car. A few years ago the bumper on my shiny black lexus got scratched. I didn't repair it - I just bought a new bumper. I would do the same with the BMW. So while frozen paint repair is harder, it is a non issue from my perspective.

I'm probably saving about $2k a year on car washes and detailing with the frozen finish.
By repairs I mean, sand, patch, prime, paint, and blend in the instance someone dings your car or scratches your paint. Bumpers are easy to replace and you can probably just buy a new one and completely spray paint. I don't know the extent of the damage the shop guy was talking about, but it may have had slight body damage as well. I just got my car back from the body shop to repair a door ding, which they had to, patch, sand, prime, paint, and blend. I can't imagine doing that on frozen paint. I don't know the properties of frozen paint and if they require blending, but the best body shop in SF couldn't get it to come out spot on.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23
Quote:
This is half incorrect.

By repairs I mean, sand, patch, prime, paint, and blend in the instance someone dings your car or scratches your paint. Bumpers are easy to replace and you can probably just buy a new one and completely spray paint. I don't know the extent of the damage the shop guy was talking about, but it may have had slight body damage as well. I just got my car back from the body shop to repair a door ding, which they had to, patch, sand, prime, paint, and blend. I can't imagine doing that on frozen paint. I don't know the properties of frozen paint and if they require blending, but the best body shop in SF couldn't get it to come out spot on.
Yes I know what repair means. But I am saying I have never repaired bodywork on any car ever. I rarely damage my cars and if I do I replace the part.

So practically it means frozen colors are lower maintenance. I will never ever buy a glossy BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I know what repair means. But I am saying I have never repaired bodywork on any car ever. I rarely damage my cars and if I do I replace the part.

So practically it means frozen colors are lower maintenance. I will never ever buy a glossy BMW again.
The time I had major body damage, I had it fixed, and replaced the car shortly after
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Ninong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23 View Post
I don't know the properties of frozen paint and if they require blending, but the best body shop in SF couldn't get it to come out spot on.
The underlying color coat is exactly the same whether it has a clear-coat finish or a frozen finish. The difference is entirely in the clear coat, which isn't exactly clear in a frozen finish. It has additives that cause it to absorb some of the light rather than reflect it like regular clear coat.

You won't be able to match a frozen paint finish unless you use the same application method, same hardness selection, same fluid tip selection, same temperature range as the original paint job from the factory. You will probably have to refinish an entire panel if you want to do a professional job. I don't think anyone will be able to do it who hasn't received BMW's specific training on repairing frozen paint.

Caring for a frozen paint finish is the easy part. Repairing any major scratches or damage probably not so easy. BMW tries to make it sound like a breeze but I sort of doubt that myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

I have a frozen white F10 M5 and got rear ended about 6 months ago. It took the paint shop 5 tries and over a month to get close to matching it. It's still noticeably off. I will never buy a frozen car again!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #14
WuTang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT

When all else fails, just get a wrap. I'm contemplating wrapping my car in a matte blue color for the winter to protect the paint from all the salt and grime.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningthingz View Post
I have a frozen white F10 M5 and got rear ended about 6 months ago. It took the paint shop 5 tries and over a month to get close to matching it. It's still noticeably off. I will never buy a frozen car again!
This is an issue with people who have brilliant white as well.
Appreciate 0