M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
You got a link for your Catted DPs please??

We have the same issue with our Gas turbines and seal gas analysers. If there is no flow accross the analyser it gets posioned and reads full scale. I reckon something similar is happening here. Lambdas need a flow to measure. Micro cats wont work for long unless you put a flow across them. I think you would need a feed and return so exhaust gas passes over the micro cat. Not that hard to make but like been said beofre until they can be mapped out Hi Flow catted is the easiest way to go.
PM me if you like and I will get you in contact with the distributor.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Why not just get some quality catted DPs? You are not seeing that much additional benefit I presume with catless. The catted REALLY ramp up the turbos fast. There have been issues with rattles, CEL, odors, etc. on these AMS pipes. Gluttons for punishment? I run nice quality double walled (just like OEM) catted DPs and you would never know they are there except for the performance boost.
For the record the rattle was an OEM gasket issue not the AMS Downpipes. They use a 300 cell CARB approved cat on the catted version and 304ss.
      08-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah Nate, however, it appears a lot of people are having this issue which indicates something with the DP itself and the way it is mated to the gasket. I find it hard to believe that everyone simply did it wrong. A minor tolerance issue likely but an issue nonetheless. My installation along with a handful of others have had zero issues without special instruction. Curious how AMS pointed out an "incorrect installation" on a guy's car who isn't even having rattles. I am no engineer but seems too coincidental to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Yeah Nate, however, it appears a lot of people are having this issue which indicates something with the DP itself and the way it is mated to the gasket. I find it hard to believe that everyone simply did it wrong. A minor tolerance issue likely but an issue nonetheless. My installation along with a handful of others have had zero issues without special instruction. Curious how AMS pointed out an "incorrect installation" on a guy's car who isn't even having rattles. I am no engineer but seems too coincidental to me.
What downpipe are you running again?
      08-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
It is a modified double-walled OEM. 600 cell primary removed and 400 cell moved to primary.

btw..Not here to tear apart AMS. Just pointing out that perhaps there may be an issue needing addressed. With new products, as you know, this is not uncommon. Good opportunity for a closer inspection of the manufacturing to verify correctness or to adjust to eliminate future issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #28
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
It is a modified double-walled OEM. 600 cell primary removed and 400 cell moved to primary.

btw..Not here to tear apart AMS. Just pointing out that perhaps there may be an issue needing addressed. With new products, as you know, this is not uncommon. Good opportunity for a closer inspection of the manufacturing to verify correctness or to adjust to eliminate future issues.
Can't speak for Hunter as he already posted but I have had zero issues with my AMS catted DP. No unusual rattle other than wastegate noise. Yes I had to use a 750i O2 sensor with a plug exchange from the stock sensors but only for the longer cable. No CEL no smells only very loud. I think the AMS part is very high quality and my tech/installer was very impressed. Granted over $3k for a DP is a bit overpriced but then again so is the car. I wish that AMS gave us a choice to go with 400cell cats for a little less noise on aftermarket exhausts.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #29
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I have an update.......this $hit doesn't work!!!
There is no room for it. Just finished my install. It was challenging.
Attached Images