Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-05-2022, 05:40 AM   #1
blazarov
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5; F15 X5

Drivetrain upgrades in Europe?

Hi,
after having the car for 7-8 months and just 5000-6000km i realized that my drivetrain is in bad shape and needs repair and/or upgrade.
Mechanic says axles are very bad. After reading about it here now i am even more concerned about the diff brace too
I feel subtle yet quite unpleasant vibrations with my ass on the bottom and rear of the car and occasionally clunks.
Since i had the car i have did probably 60-70 100-200 lunches and not more than 10 hard standing starts. Most probably it was already quite worn and my driving only finished it, but it is obvious that i have to repair and hopefully improve it.

My best time is 6.25 100-200, but at 1.39% negative slope and around 6.4 on flat. It has catless downpipes and stage2 evolve tune.

IMHO OEM axles are ridiculously expensive for what they give - 100% guarantee that i will destroy them again if i continue using the car the same way

Based on my reading it seems that built axles from DSS and billet diff brace from RK AW or GAW is a no brainer. To me they deliver great value and the price is perfectly fair.
However, I am in Bulgaria, Europe which makes the whole logistics of it much slower and costly. Having to send my OEM axles to USA and waiting them to come back could easily result in 2+ months downtime + at least 800USD extra for shipping and customs. Most probably i will end up getting a second hand pair of axles to run the car while my old ones are built at USA which is another 1000$ exercise.
Total around 5000$ for built axles and billet diff brace which is substantial relative to the overall car market value. Still i really want to do it so i will probably end up doing it anyways

So i wanted to ask if someone from Europe has found a local solution or vendor.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazarov View Post
Hi,
after having the car for 7-8 months and just 5000-6000km i realized that my drivetrain is in bad shape and needs repair and/or upgrade.
Mechanic says axles are very bad. After reading about it here now i am even more concerned about the diff brace too
I feel subtle yet quite unpleasant vibrations with my ass on the bottom and rear of the car and occasionally clunks.
Since i had the car i have did probably 60-70 100-200 lunches and not more than 10 hard standing starts. Most probably it was already quite worn and my driving only finished it, but it is obvious that i have to repair and hopefully improve it.

My best time is 6.25 100-200, but at 1.39% negative slope and around 6.4 on flat. It has catless downpipes and stage2 evolve tune.

IMHO OEM axles are ridiculously expensive for what they give - 100% guarantee that i will destroy them again if i continue using the car the same way

Based on my reading it seems that built axles from DSS and billet diff brace from RK AW or GAW is a no brainer. To me they deliver great value and the price is perfectly fair.
However, I am in Bulgaria, Europe which makes the whole logistics of it much slower and costly. Having to send my OEM axles to USA and waiting them to come back could easily result in 2+ months downtime + at least 800USD extra for shipping and customs. Most probably i will end up getting a second hand pair of axles to run the car while my old ones are built at USA which is another 1000$ exercise.
Total around 5000$ for built axles and billet diff brace which is substantial relative to the overall car market value. Still i really want to do it so i will probably end up doing it anyways

So i wanted to ask if someone from Europe has found a local solution or vendor.

Thanks
It's no joke when the diff holder breaks as one poster has said previously.
That's your best bet putting second hand d/shafts on in while your worn out ones are rebuilt,US seems far to send them.
As for billet replacements some are good and some are too stiff that cause vibrations and are really for track.
Check your standard diff holder for cracks and if none then no need to change it and of course your actual diff gears could be crying enough, the diff oil on these should be changed every 25k miles.

Last edited by M5Rick; 06-05-2022 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0