Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Octane Booster's - Please Help

Hello, I have a fully straight piped, stage 2, clean M5 and I been using the VP racing fuels Octane Booster... the strong purple bottle not the turquoise one and I was using it for about 4 fill ups in a row and then I switched to the Lucas Oil one as they said they were rated #1 last year... anyway, I filled up a second tank in the Lucas Oil on... to clarify... 4 tanks with VP, then 2 tanks with Lucas Oil and after the last fill up the car runs sluggish, I was told I may have a boost leak, I checked and I do not, someone said I blew a vacuum line, I cannot find anything and finally my uncle who is a Chemical Engineer with 40 years of experience in the oil and gas industry told me the MMT in the octane boosters are bad for your plugs and there are lots of reports on this... I am okay with changing the plugs more often but anyone experiencing any issues with boost after prolonged octane booster use? I have only reach 8-10psi the last week and normally I am in the high 20s like 27psi when in higher maps on my tune with octane booster... please help! Thanks, KJ
2013 BMW F10 M5, Moonstone Metallic, 700whp, stage 2 tune, fully straight piped - catless downpipes - resonator delete and fabspeed muffler delete, cold air intake and many more cosmetic mods. | '92 525i (long gone) | '02 Dinan M5 (sadly gone) | '06 Dinan M3 (also sadly gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
G.Ride Garage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Doesn't really sound like a octane booster problem. I would do a smoke test to 100% rule out a vacuum/boost leak. Then check items like spark plugs and coils.

Are you having any misfires?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Sounds to me like a tune problem..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:16 AM   #4
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.ride.garage View Post
Doesn't really sound like a octane booster problem. I would do a smoke test to 100% rule out a vacuum/boost leak. Then check items like spark plugs and coils.

Are you having any misfires?
So no misfires... when I did all these mods I changed out the plugs and coils, etc., and not sure what else to check...
2013 BMW F10 M5, Moonstone Metallic, 700whp, stage 2 tune, fully straight piped - catless downpipes - resonator delete and fabspeed muffler delete, cold air intake and many more cosmetic mods. | '92 525i (long gone) | '02 Dinan M5 (sadly gone) | '06 Dinan M3 (also sadly gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
707M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5

What tune are u running? Have you done any data logs and send them to your tuner? Check your spark plugs to see how they look. And what did you gap them to? I've been using Boostane for a long while and had no problems with my car. Also try flashing the car back to stock and see how it runs.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 05:37 AM   #6
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707M5 View Post
What tune are u running? Have you done any data logs and send them to your tuner? Check your spark plugs to see how they look. And what did you gap them to? I've been using Boostane for a long while and had no problems with my car. Also try flashing the car back to stock and see how it runs.
So I am running the JB4 stage 2 tune, but before I did anything with the higher maps I changed out all my plugs and coils. I was very careful when gapping them as they suggested .20 for serious HP and meth injection and if I recall correctly the factory is set at .32 or so; therefore, I sort split the difference and gapped them at about .24/.25 - I was talking to many people and they were saying to be careful and not gap them too small (as in .20), since I was not running meth or nitrous or anything crazy. Since I changed out the car and went higher on the maps all has been well and I was using that VP octane booster and the car has been amazing... it was just on that last fill up. I have done many data logs and sent them to the tuner and they have been super helpful but it has got to a point that they cannot really do much until I find the root cause of the issue... the have advised different things and everyone has said there must be a boost leak or vacuum line out and that would make sense but I am not seeing any proof or evidence of anything wrong... also these cars would throw a code if I am having any misfires, etc., and I can also read code with my tune and there is nothing there (except the catless downpipe light), and the car drives smooth, normal, no obvious issues, etc... should I still try and pull the plugs out and see? I just changed them like 3k miles ago... this is just so weird, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:38 AM   #7
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, where I began to get worried is on these Octane Boosters I heard they can coat your plugs... etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:28 AM   #8
707M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdeion21 View Post
Quote:
Also, where I began to get worried is on these Octane Boosters I heard they can coat your plugs... etc...
I would do a smoke test first. And if all good I would change the plugs again and gap them to at least .022 or .020 running boost that high. I'm running a .020 gap at only 23 psi. When I was pushing 28 psi I was at .018 gap. and run a can of Berryman b12 fuel system cleaner through a full tank. And I would recommend running Boostane if you are wanting to run octane booster. And running 27 psi are your clutches upgraded?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #9
G.Ride Garage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

If you're not getting any codes, I doubt it fouled your spark plugs or O2 sensors.

How did you check for leaks?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:27 AM   #10
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would do a smoke test first. And if all good I would change the plugs again and gap them to at least .022 or .020 running boost that high. I'm running a .020 gap at only 23 psi. When I was pushing 28 psi I was at .018 gap. and run a can of Berryman b12 fuel system cleaner through a full tank. And I would recommend running Boostane if you are wanting to run octane booster. And running 27 psi are your clutches upgraded?
Thanks will look into that but I just found out I was at 14.7 in WOT which is lean AF… what are your numbers in WOT?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:21 AM   #11
707M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks will look into that but I just found out I was at 14.7 in WOT which is lean AF… what are your numbers in WOT?
Change your o2 sensors and maf sensors and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, probably change your fuel injectors and check your fuel pumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 02:08 PM   #12
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're going to destroy that engine if you keep driving it. 14.7:1 at wot will melt the piston in short order, if it hasn't done irreparable damage already.
      06-09-2022, 06:10 AM   #13
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
You're going to destroy that engine if you keep driving it. 14.7:1 at wot will melt the piston in short order, if it hasn't done irreparable damage already.
Yes, I just got this rectified... the JB4 tune was not cutting it I got a piggy back flash DME tune and it has changed my life... 12.3 AFR in WOT and the car is amazing...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #14
anoller
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F10 535i, Duramax, etc

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I second the Boostane. I ran it in my 40' offshore boat (blown 572ci - 1050hp) engines. Never had an issue. Use it in my M5, no issues.
Appreciate 1